Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I wanna spend the up-coming school year focusing more on academics. I don't want to be doing a bunch of ECs next year. So out of curiosity I was wondering if the ECs I have put me in a good position.

-Tutored 7 kids in math for cash in a span of 3 years -still doing it

-Hospital volunteering 300hrs for about 2.5 years.

-Senior home volunteering 200hrs. 1.5 years

-Shadowed a nurse for 20hrs

-Shadowed an oral surgeon 20hrs

-Team Captain for 2 years for a high school trivia team

-Empolyment at Redlobster for 1.8 years during high school

-Employment at warehouse for one summer and during christmas break

-volunteered in Poland at a living arts organization for an independent film. I helped translate texts.

- member of 2 random clubs during my first year

- Have swim certificates med, cross, instructors, nls, and worked as a life guard for a little under a year

-Volunteer at Organization which helps children with special needs 150hrs.- still doing it

-Summer research assistant for 3 months 16hrs/week.

-Been going to the gym since grade 10.

I wanna spend the up-coming school year focusing more on academics. I don't want to be doing a bunch of ECs next year. So out of curiosity I was wondering if the ECs I have put me in a good position.

-volunteered in Poland at a living arts organization for an independent film. I helped translate texts.

- Have swim certificates med, cross, instructors, nls, and worked as a life guard for a little under a year

-Volunteer at Organization which helps children with special needs 150hrs.- still doing it

Definitely fine...a little lacking in research, but still above average I would say.

Does going to the gym really count as an EC...? I fee like I'm asking a weird question because I personally feel that going to the gym is an EC...but enough to warrant putting it on an application?

Sure if you go regularly. You are into fitness and it helps show who you are. :)

Exactly...if you think it says something about you as a person, then add it. Some people add things like "cooking" because they are passionate about it and spend a decent amount of time doing it.

Does going to the gym really count as an EC...? I fee like I'm asking a weird question because I personally feel that going to the gym is an EC...but enough to warrant putting it on an application?

maybe if you're competing and you're fuarking aesthetic

Anything that is genuine from which you learn is a good thing.

If you enjoy living a healthy lifestyle, which includes regular exercise at the gym, this is important. It also shows discipline to maintain regular exercise and is good for stress management. How you describe it is important. :)

going to the gym isn't necessarily a healthy lifestyle unless you're running on the treadmill every day which no one does

tbh working out as hard as i do has put more stress on my heart and i get heart palpitations more often now

Sure going to the gym sounds fine! I put camping as one and gave examples of different portage trips I've done. The rules on this are not hard and fast.

Camping shows initiative, some degree of expertise, appreciation of nature, fitness. Absolutely, it is a valid item and can lead to enthusiastic discussion at a panel interview.

Going to the gym can really be classified as an EC? Seems like its pushing the definition of an EC. How you spend your spare time privately should be kept to yourself. If you're recognized on a varsity team, or organized a team for intramurals, then fine. But when do you stop? Do I put clubbing, or partying as an EC too? It demonstrates sociability. How about browsing pm101?

I guess those don't make or break admissions, but kind of seems like a way to pad your application.

Awesome feed back guys :D

I totally agree that exercising can be described in a positive, valuable way which has imprinted a solid foundation for the future in terms of physical and mental health. But for some reason...I get that "guilty" feeling when I think about putting it down for an EC (which exercising totally is) for a med app. I guess it completely makes sense to do so, but I dunno lol it just feels a little mundane or maybe even padding.

I guess it's the whole "our perception is our reality" thing. I think the thing I'd be scared of most is how it would be interpreted by the person at the other end. And I guess a lot of that may come down to how you phrase it.

I certainly see what you're saying, I didn't list 'going to the gym' on my ABS, but I did do several races that I put on it which helped me show active living/health was important to me, without getting that guilty feeling of possibly being perceived to be padding my ABS. If you're a gym rat why don't you sign up for a 5/10k race? If you're a regular gym-goer I'm sure you could manage that even if you're not particularIy a runner.

Awesome feed back guys :D

I totally agree that exercising can be described in a positive, valuable way which has imprinted a solid foundation for the future in terms of physical and mental health. But for some reason...I get that "guilty" feeling when I think about putting it down for an EC (which exercising totally is) for a med app. I guess it completely makes sense to do so, but I dunno lol it just feels a little mundane or maybe even padding.

I guess it's the whole "our perception is our reality" thing. I think the thing I'd be scared of most is how it would be interpreted by the person at the other end. And I guess a lot of that may come down to how you phrase it.

I have a couple of acknowledgements in papers for some good amounts of work I've put into helping out on some projects and apparently the consensus is putting those on your application for research is considered "padding". If that's considered padding, I don't see how putting how you spent your time doing leisure things on your application is not.

In the end these ECs aren't that big of a deal in comparison to the quantitative aspects of the admission (GPA, MCAT, etc..)

Hi,

I am having a major dilemma right now. I am 24 yr old and I have a degree in Life Science and a diploma in X-Ray Technology. I really want to do medicine and I don't really care where I study, but I do not want to worry about not getting a residency spot in North America.

I got accepted to a US recognized medical school in Poland called Jagiellionian University, I don't know if I should attend there and risk the chance of not being able to come back and work. I am not polish and will probably not work in Poland.

I have a cGPA of 3.75 (only 3 years) and a MCAT score of 11/9/11 (PS/VR/BS). I am working as a X-Ray Tech, had some experience with research and did some shadowing with doctors. I don't know if I ever stand a chance in Canadian Medical Schools or even American Schools? Shall I just decide later and go for poland? Or stay and improve my GPA by taking some non-degree program in UofT and apply to North America Med School?

Thank you for all your helps!!

Hi, I am currently a 3rd year undergrad with a cGPA around 3.8, planning to apply to Queen's and McMaster next year. Planning to write MCAT soon. What are my chances of me meeting cutoffs at Queen's? and what are my chances overall?

A cGPA of 3.8 already meets the cutoffs for Queen's (at least as it's been for the last couple of years). Whether you progress further depends on your MCAT score breakdown and your ECs (and then your interview skills after that).

At this point, your GPA could be higher, but won't hold you back at Queen's and isn't bad for McMaster. It's too soon to tell what your overall competitiveness is until you write your MCAT.

Hi, I am currently a 3rd year undergrad with a cGPA around 3.8, planning to apply to Queen's and McMaster next year. Planning to write MCAT soon. What are my chances of me meeting cutoffs at Queen's? and what are my chances overall?

Your cgpa is good. If you do well in verbal (11+) and decent in casper you should get an interview for Mac. Even with a VR of 10 you should be ok for Mac if you do well in Casper. For queen's refer to Ralk's post above.

I have a cGPA of 3.75 (only 3 years) and a MCAT score of 11/9/11 (PS/VR/BS). I am working as a X-Ray Tech, had some experience with research and did some shadowing with doctors. I don't know if I ever stand a chance in Canadian Medical Schools or even American Schools? Shall I just decide later and go for poland? Or stay and improve my GPA by taking some non-degree program in UofT and apply to North America Med School?!

I think you stand a good shot in the states, and a decent shot in Canada. What is your GPA breakdown, did you do better or worse in your more recent years? Some schools will take your best two/last two, and many use a weighting system. Figure out where the weighting favours you and apply to those places. Probably only grades from your life sciences degree will count and not your diploma. Your MCAT is generally okay, if you had a 10 in VR you'd have a much better shot at Mac, as it is if you rock CASPer you could probably get an interview there.

How are your ECs? I think you could get in in Canada but it might take you a couple times. I have a CGPA of 3.59 (but last two years of 3.94) and I got in second try. If you don't mind staying in the States for residency then I'm sure you'll get into an American school as is, if you want to stay in Canada keep trying here. I'm not sure how the "American recognised" school in Poland works, but to the best of my knowledge it is very difficult to get a residency as an international medical graduate, at least in Canada.

Hope this was helpful!

Edit: If you only have three years, most weighting formulae won't apply (uoft, Ottawa, others?) But I think the schools that look at 2 year GPAs should still count...you'll have to look into this. Also depending where you're a resident will have an effect, for example if you're from Atlantic Canada you're definitely competitive.

Hey guys, just wanted to start off by saying thank you for all the great advice this website provides.

Just like the title says, I'd like to get some feedback on my chances.

cGPA=3.65

Best 2 years: 3.9

UofT weighted formula: 3.87

MCAT: 11/11/11

EC's: Average for the most part, volunteered research for 3 years, lots of shadowing, exec on 2 clubs, fraternity member, sports, etc

My cGPA is unfortunately low due to taking a 6 credit chemistry course in the summer and receiving a D+. (Was still learning the ropes of studying and it was summer :P) If I were to retake chemistry, would the new mark replace my old one, or would they simply just use both?

I'm also thinking of applying outside of Ontario, to schools such as UofCalg and Dalhousie.

What do you think my chances are for schools in Ontario or outside of the province?

Thank you!

Hey guys, just wanted to start off by saying thank you for all the great advice this website provides.

Just like the title says, I'd like to get some feedback on my chances.

cGPA=3.65

Best 2 years: 3.9

UofT weighted formula: 3.87

MCAT: 11/11/11

EC's: Average for the most part, volunteered research for 3 years, lots of shadowing, exec on 2 clubs, fraternity member, sports, etc

My cGPA is unfortunately low due to taking a 6 credit chemistry course in the summer and receiving a D+. (Was still learning the ropes of studying and it was summer :P) If I were to retake chemistry, would the new mark replace my old one, or would they simply just use both?

I'm also thinking of applying outside of Ontario, to schools such as UofCalg and Dalhousie.

What do you think my chances are for schools in Ontario or outside of the province?

Thank you!

Some schools do not consider summer courses in GPA calculations, so your D+ would be ignored. What are your GPA's without the chem class?