Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Thanks for your help guys and gals! Here goes...

I am a Canadian citizen, living in the U.S. (will be considered Canadian when applying to US schools). -> lived in Ontario previously.

* I have lived in the US since beginning of high school and am currently doing to undergrad here. -> I think this screws me up @ McMaster for Ontario residency, or something.

GPA: 4.0 (@ a over 100 ranked school by US-News that is decently known, but is not the best school).

MCAT: 35 (PS:11, VR:12, BS:12. 35)

All the normal activities (shadowing, hospital volunteering, research - no pubs, non-clinical volunteering, school clubs, have some leadership in a service project).

What do you guys think about my chances at Ontario schools? Any OOP schools?

Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated!

I am a Canadian citizen, living in the U.S. (will be considered Canadian when applying to US schools). -> lived in Ontario previously.

* I have lived in the US since beginning of high school and am currently doing to undergrad here. -> I think this screws me up @ McMaster for Ontario residency, or something.

GPA: 4.0 (@ a over 100 ranked school by US-News that is decently known, but is not the best school).

All the normal activities (shadowing, hospital volunteering, research - no pubs, non-clinical volunteering, school clubs, have some leadership in a service project).

Ontario schools are arguably the out OOP friendly in Canada. You should be fine with your stats.

For outside ON:

VR 12 opens up Calgary, but I am not too familiar with it.

Your GPA and MCAT are probably only slightly above average for interviewees at Alberta as OOP so you need fairly strong EC's as well.

If your average is over 90% (which it seems like it is), it doesn't hurt to apply to UBC as well, but for that also, somewhat strong ECs are expected to be competitive (50% of score is NAQ).

BC Resident, third-year applicant

cGPA: 3.84

Without summer courses: 3.82

ECs: Hospital volunteering, research, club leadership stuff, and some other hobbies.

Can I land an interview at U of Calgary or Queens? how about at U of T?

MCAT score?

Maybe Queen's ... they don't differentiate between OOP and IP which is a nice bonus.

BC Resident, third-year applicant

cGPA: 3.84

Without summer courses: 3.82

ECs: Hospital volunteering, research, club leadership stuff, and some other hobbies.

Can I land an interview at U of Calgary or Queens? how about at U of T?

Unlikely as a 3rd year applicant. The average GPA for UofT last year was 3.90 and this is for ALL applicants. Usually, to get in as a 3rd year you need VERY competitive stats and VERY exceptional ECs. From what I can tell, you have pretty good stats/ECs but nothing crazy enough for 3rd year admission. You'd probably be fine once you're in 4th year in terms of landing some interviews.

Most schools don't take summer classes into consideration for GPA. Also, MCAT score is also very important!

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Side Question: Do the Atlantic/Maritime schools accept OOP students?

Also I am in a very interesting predicament. I have been accepted to an early assurance program in the US. But it is very expensive (330k for 4 years - tuition + housing). And if I apply to any other schools, I will lose my assured spot.

I know it is extremely difficult to get into Canadian Med schools, so do you guys think it makes sense for me to apply?

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Side Question: Do the Atlantic/Maritime schools accept OOP students?

Also I am in a very interesting predicament. I have been accepted to an early assurance program in the US. But it is very expensive (330k for 4 years - tuition + housing). And if I apply to any other schools, I will lose my assured spot.

I know it is extremely difficult to get into Canadian Med schools, so do you guys think it makes sense for me to apply?

Thanks for all your help!

Is financing that program an issue? i.e. Even though it's expensive, do you have loans/parents/a secret bunker full of stolen gold bars that will allow you to cover it?

I mean, you've got a 4.0 and 35 so obviously your numbers are good enough for pretty much anywhere, so it's a question of whether you're willing to give up the certainty of an acceptance for a chance at something you might like better. I'd be more inclined to stick with the sure thing, but then again, I don't have a 4.0 :P

Haha I wish I had a secret bunker of gold bars! :cool:

But 330k is probably what my parents have worked their whole live for. So, I am hesitant to just go for it, without considering other options.

How would they find out that you're applying to other schools? Assuming your references and verifiers stay quiet..

hi guys, just a quick question

i have a 3.87 cGPA (2 years) and i want to course overload in 3rd year so that i can have a 3.91875 gpa by the time i am applying in fourth year (so that I don't have a gap year and i am at a higher chance of getting at least one interview)

is course overloading both semesters (just one half course) smart to increase my GPA? it will be a bird course which requires minimal studying and a guaranteed 4.0

hi guys, just a quick question

i have a 3.87 cGPA (2 years) and i want to course overload in 3rd year so that i can have a 3.91875 gpa by the time i am applying in fourth year (so that I don't have a gap year and i am at a higher chance of getting at least one interview)

is course overloading both semesters (just one half course) smart to increase my GPA? it will be a bird course which requires minimal studying and a guaranteed 4.0

If you can guarantee yourself a 4.0 in all classes, both semesters, then yes, there is a benefit, but it's pretty marginal. Keep in mind that 3.87 is good enough for most schools, and you can cross the 3.9 threshold with a normal course load next year.

I'm all for pushing the limits of what you can do, and taking extra classes does show a certain degree of initiative, but you wouldn't gain much compared to say, spending that time improving your ECs.

I would appreciate if you guys spend a few minutes and share your honest opinion with me

cGPA: 3.98/4.00

MCAT: 13/11/12 (verbal: 11)

EC: Hospital volunteering, clinical experience (physician shadowing), university club involvement, 3 years of research, 1 publications (not primary author), a few posters and abstracts and presentations, similar to what a TA does for a course.

*** I never had full course load (always 3-4 courses/semester) -- partly because of a family illness (which I had to spend a portion of my time for)

Please be honest and let me know at which schools you guys think I have a chance (if any) - If you think I have zero chance at Canada and should not waste money please let me know

Many thanks!

I would shank for those stats! You have really great chances at Mac and Queens for sure.

I would even say NOSM, UBC, Alberta, Calgary are all open options too.

I would appreciate if you guys spend a few minutes and share your honest opinion with me

cGPA: 3.98/4.00

MCAT: 13/11/12 (verbal: 11)

EC: Hospital volunteering, clinical experience (physician shadowing), university club involvement, 3 years of research, 1 publications (not primary author), a few posters and abstracts and presentations, similar to what a TA does for a course.

*** I never had full course load (always 3-4 courses/semester) -- partly because of a family illness (which I had to spend a portion of my time for)

Please be honest and let me know at which schools you guys think I have a chance (if any) - If you think I have zero chance at Canada and should not waste money please let me know

Many thanks!

Should be in a great spot for McMaster - high GPA, solid verbal, and they don't care about courseload.

I believe Queens counts full-time a >= 3.0 credits per year (or maybe 1.5 per semester), so you should be ok there.

You should be ok for U of T as well.

Western is right out, since you don't have a full course load in any years. It sucks, because with an 11 in verbal that's essentially a guaranteed interview. Same deal with Ottawa I believe.

Should be in a great spot for McMaster - high GPA, solid verbal, and they don't care about courseload.

I believe Queens counts full-time a >= 3.0 credits per year (or maybe 1.5 per semester), so you should be ok there.

You should be ok for U of T as well.

Western is right out, since you don't have a full course load in any years. It sucks, because with an 11 in verbal that's essentially a guaranteed interview. Same deal with Ottawa I believe.

You're right about Queens.

I thought UT required at least 4 courses per sem?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to to put this question but here goes:

Okay, so I finished my first year at UWO with a 2.4 GPA, I know its really bad, I just had a really bad time transitioning but that is not an excuse none the less. I messed up. I understand that different med schools have different ways of weighing GPAs, but do you think I could potentially bring my GPA up to med school level? I was planning on applying to Canada and the US after 4 years. Has anyone else recovered from a bad first year GPA?

Okay, so I finished my first year at UWO with a 2.4 GPA, I know its really bad, I just had a really bad time transitioning but that is not an excuse none the less. I messed up. I understand that different med schools have different ways of weighing GPAs, but do you think I could potentially bring my GPA up to med school level? I was planning on applying to Canada and the US after 4 years. Has anyone else recovered from a bad first year GPA?

Many people have! I had a 1.22 gpa in my first year and I am starting med school in august. Just make sure you find out what you did wrong and how you can fix it to ensure you get a higher gpa for all your other years.

Many people have! I had a 1.22 gpa in my first year and I am starting med school in august. Just make sure you find out what you did wrong and how you can fix it to ensure you get a higher gpa for all your other years.

Thank you for the fast reply schmitty! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA for the other 3 years? Did you do Masters?

Thank you for the fast reply schmitty! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA for the other 3 years? Did you do Masters?

Yes, I did do an MSc, but not with the intent to get into med school. I actually decided to pursue med school near the end of my MSc (wrote the MCAT after my MSc was complete actually).

My other years were between 3.8-4.0 (did 4 more years after switching programs).

I had a 3.5 GPA in first year and am starting med school at the most GPA focused and highest cut-off school in Ontario! So YES its possible. Figure out what you did wrong and kill years 2-4 and you will be golden!

You'll find this is not an uncommon phenomena; like what others said it's very recoverable, but you have to be careful in the next 3 years, make sure to take full courseload, pick the right courses and maintain at least 3.7 in those years. Don't worry anything else but getting high GPA next year. Once you have a good 2nd year you can start thinking about MCAT, etc. Have a look at the admission criteria of the schools and you'll realize each of them has different ways of forgiving few bad marks.

Thank you all for replying! It gives me hope :) For next year I am planning on taking: orgo, biochem, cell bio, psych stats, pharm, and a few psych courses since I am doing a double major in medical sciences and psychology, do you think that will be okay? Does anyone recommend taking genetics?

Take what you are interested in while also meeting prerequisites... I liked genetics because I found it interesting... If you do too, then take it!