Premed 101 Forums

Question about SWOMEN

How much of an advantage is being from SWOMEN? (I'm from SWOMEN)

I know they have more lenient MCAT cut offs but other than that, is there any advantage? Once you get an interview are all applicants on an equal playing field or is there preference for SWOMEN residents?

I believe this has been discussed somewhere

I think the answer is not really, although if you look at the numbers something wild like 75% of swomen interviewed get offers. That could be chalked up to the fact that western might generally be a better fit for swomens, since you have perhaps more of a reason to apply then "it's a med school in canada", also you are likely to fit their facuilty goals as well.

On paper the mcat cut off difference looks nice, but I have been told it doesn't really matter that much.

Well it kinda helps me since I have a 9 in verbal and a P in WS. My overall score is over 30. So I don't think I would have made the cut off if I wasn't from SWOMEN.

They say it doesn't help much, but wasn't there a document floating around (I know I saw it, but I can't remember where) that listed some stat like out of the swomen interviewees vs. non-swomen, 75% or thereabouts of the swomeners got in? I just know it was very high. So I'm suspicious about whether the idea of everyone being on an equal playing field at the interview stage is really true.

They still only make up 33% of the class about.

From a statistical point of view your not comparing apples to apples.

Yes 75% of SWOMENS get in post interview, but only 80 or so interview out of 450 people. They are a small group = small number and if anyone knows percentages; that makes for high percentages as compared to large group= large numbers = low percentages.

Example:

65/80 = 81.25%

98/386 = 25.38%

Archived