Premed 101 Forums

How many years undergrad do I need?

Hi, I'm a little confused as to how many years undergrad I need before applying to medicine. I'm OOP and was wondering if I can apply between my first and second years or only after my second year? I thought I knew the answer and then the website kinda confused me...

Thanks!

I'll be perfectly honest and say that unless you're a combo of Mother Theresa and Steven Hawking, you're not getting in after 2 years OOP. Im taking 4.0, 99th percentile MCAT, and impressive EC's not to mention a great interview. It's rare that 2nd years get admitted IP let alone OOP where you're fighting an uphill battle.

To be more specific: You can apply after finishing 1 full year (10 course) of undergrad as long as you're taking 10 in 2nd year too. This would qualify you as applying as a 2nd year student, even though you'll only have 1 year of marks.

So the UofA site says only there were only 111 4-year applicants out of 1274 total applications. Isn't almost everyone applying going into their 4th year? Why are there only 111 4-year applications?

Or maybe I mixed up the terminology. Can someone explain?

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be perfectly honest and say that unless you're a combo of Mother Theresa and Steven Hawking, you're not getting in after 2 years OOP. Im taking 4.0, 99th percentile MCAT, and impressive EC's not to mention a great interview. It's rare that 2nd years get admitted IP let alone OOP where you're fighting an uphill battle.

To be more specific: You can apply after finishing 1 full year (10 course) of undergrad as long as you're taking 10 in 2nd year too. This would qualify you as applying as a 2nd year student, even though you'll only have 1 year of marks.

It's hard but not impossible. Definitely not the probability of mother theresa + stephen hawking combo you have suggested. I think it's closer to you have to be the top student out of 300-400 students. If you think you have a shot, this route is definitely possible, but you will have to work for it

Archived