Premed 101 Forums

Num Apps for 2009

CAS

A LOT of people get waitlisted. And in recent years, they have been going through a significant number people on that waitlist.

No they haven't.

Last year, they waitlisted everyone and the waitlist itself maybe moved 60 spots. There was more movement the years before that because the cutoffs for both Queen's and Western were basically the same, so people accepted to both had to make a decision. Last year, Queen's went haywire and created a new set of cutoffs, so a good chunk of people who interviewed at Western didn't at Queen's, and vice versa.

Yeah, Alastriss. American schools. If I get accepted to anywhere else, I probably won't bother showing up (make it a little easier for the rest of you :P ). No real point to waste the money getting there.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No they haven't.

Last year, they waitlisted everyone and the waitlist itself maybe moved 60 spots. There was more movement the years before that because the cutoffs for both Queen's and Western were basically the same, so people accepted to both had to make a decision. Last year, Queen's went haywire and created a new set of cutoffs, so a good chunk of people who interviewed at Western didn't at Queen's, and vice versa.

Yeah, Alastriss. American schools. If I get accepted to anywhere else, I probably won't bother showing up (make it a little easier for the rest of you :P ). No real point to waste the money getting there.

yeah, NYU or Case for me and I'm declining, although my parents will make me go. The post interview stress may not be worth it. Pity, my home school really made sh!t hit the fan with the R cutoff last year.

• 2 weeks later...

woah, 1/4 get interviews? The only explanation is that Queens might not be very popular among people with multiple acceptances. It is probably least popular as Mac has the angle "On the brightside, it is 3 years...", while the best Queens can do is "We do have a state of the art... prison!". Joking of course, but I would love to know how many offers of admission Queens makes. It just might provide insight into why so many interviewees.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that there will be 760 people interviewed, how do you think my chances compare here to another school where there are only 10 or so OOP seats but significantly less interview slots for OOP?

I love the idea of marks turning into water under the bridge and no favoritism towards IP students. Of course, that sucks for Ontario natives.

Thanks,

-Tyler

Also, its the applicant pool composition that matters most. 1/4 chances is not necessarily good when you have applicants with very good stats, and you might be worse off than with 1/8 chances if in the latter you have a weak applicant pool relative to your stats.

Meh, anyway you cut it 1/8 is harder than 1/4. If all they cared about were what stats everyone has, they would have simply jacked up the cutoffs. Instead, they chose to interview more which leads me to believe that they value the interview more strongly than a few points on the MCAT or GPA. It's kind of scary that when we go to our interviews, for every 50 people you are with.. only like 7 or so are getting in. Those are some pretty crummy odds.

in the past four or five years, queen's has sent out a total of 160 - 200 acceptances for 100 spots. so, taking an average of 180 acceptances, that means (180 accepted/760 interviewed) = 24% accepted post-interview.

You're not the first person that I've heard this from. Do you know where I can find more information regarding this statistic?

You're not the first person that I've heard this from. Do you know where I can find more information regarding this statistic?

You can go to the afmc.ca website and pull up the publications

the probability of getting in is actually higher than that. That statistic doesn't take into out people would were ranked highly but withdrew from the wait list by accepting another offer.

People were confused by so I will explain using an example.

100 offers are sent out on may 15. Then you have the rest of the applicants, 1 - 660 ranked on a waitlist (god I hope they dont put everyon on a wl.)

101-130 might have been really good interviewers and got into UWO. They accept and withdraw from the waitlist to accept UWO on may 16.

June rolls around and then queen's gets up to sending 80 offers. But now they are at applicant number 210.

So in a sense, your chances are 210/760 rather than 180/760. This assumes you have only this interview, or you have interviewed at schools that have entirely different applicant pools.

Let

Yeah, Alastriss. American schools. If I get accepted to anywhere else, I probably won't bother showing up (make it a little easier for the rest of you ). No real point to waste the money getting there.

Err, not to nitpick logic, but the total cost of your average US tuition for canadians (and plenty of americans) is somewhere in the vicinity of 40-50K/ year, no? (ie. more than twice the cost of canadian tuition) Cost of travelling to Queen's for interview: perhaps a couple hundred?

Probably worth it to go and keep your options open if you're concerned about wasting money. ;)

But in all seriousness, good luck! :)

Also, its the applicant pool composition that matters most. 1/4 chances is not necessarily good when you have applicants with very good stats, and you might be worse off than with 1/8 chances if in the latter you have a weak applicant pool relative to your stats.

Once you are granted an interview, your GPA and MCAT are no longer considered. Therefore, the entire interview pool is on equal footing at this point. Your final score will be based entirely on your interview and your written assignment. (Your interviewers will have a copy of your autobiographical sketch, but it will not be graded separately.)

Best wishes!

Elaine

http://afmc.ca/pdf/2009AdBk.pdf

It seems that you're mistaken?

Nope. That data does not indicate how many students are initially offered a first-round position who reject that offer. Like I said, that data is not released. What you find on that page is how many total people declined an offer.

Queen's makes exactly 100 offers on May 15th. When 1 rejection comes in, 1 more offer goes out. Often, these second-round offers are rejected for many reasons (getting into another school on May 15th being the main one).

To say that Queen's offers out 100 spots on May 15th, only to have 50-60 of these offers rejected is, like I described before, untrue.

Nope. That data does not indicate how many students are initially offered a first-round position who reject that offer. Like I said, that data is not released. What you find on that page is how many total people declined an offer.

Queen's makes exactly 100 offers on May 15th. When 1 rejection comes in, 1 more offer goes out. Often, these second-round offers are rejected for many reasons (getting into another school on May 15th being the main one).

To say that Queen's offers out 100 spots on May 15th, only to have 50-60 of these offers rejected is, like I described before, untrue.

The point is the same, lol.

50-60 people are gonna get off waitlist.

Minimum.

More like 86.4 average over the past 5 years.

Archived