Premed 101 Forums

Num Apps for 2009

CAS

Are you sure post-interview that they don't look at people's MCAT or GPA? They only look at the references, sketch and interview?

Your MCAT and GPA (either overall or most recent two years with minimum of 3.0 courses per year) are used as absolute cut-offs. If you meet the cut-offs, you get an interview. After that, these numbers are not factored into your admission score.

Elaine

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from personal experience and talking to a great number of interviewees for Queen's Med, there is a general belief that they have the worst interview system in Ontario. Their antagonistic demeanour and purely irrelevant questions generate a fairly pervasive distaste for their application process, and invariably [ as a consequence], their medical school.

They are either running a poorly guided interview environment, or, they are selecting some of the worst interviewers possible. That cocky attitude that most interviewers eminate doesnt fly well with most applicants. What is even worse is that they think their interview process will bring in the best applicants - rather, it is clear that the applicants that have a choice typically do not choose Queens, which I think is partially a consequence of their fairly uncomfortable interview weekend.

Just my opinion.

The nature of panel interviews is that not jibing with your interviewers can be a disaster. It looks like this happened to you at Queen's. I'm sorry your interview didn't turn out as well as you would have hoped. (Although, I suppose if you were given the choice between here and anywhere else, it's clear where you would have gone...) The benefit is that the interviewers get a more complete picture of an applicant than in an MMI scenario, where you get the interviewee as an actor of themselves. I fully acknowledge that I might not be studying here if I had a different panel. Such is the way it goes. This is what you'll get when you interview for residency positions.

Assuming you interviewed last year, the admissions committee changed the interview to a short list of standardized questions—the only questions that were allowed for judging the applicant's quality—which hindered the panel's ability to assess the interviewee and often made interviews awkward. This was definitely a miss for the admissions committee.

Also, your cynical comments offer little more than oversimplification and sweeping generalizations. One hundred extremely talented and intelligent people successfully navigate our antagonistic and irrelevant interview process every year to gain admission into our distasteful medical school. Why, upon further investigation, am I not surprised to see that you're studying at Toronto?

The nature of panel interviews is that not jibing with your interviewers can be a disaster. It looks like this happened to you at Queen's. I'm sorry your interview didn't turn out as well as you would have hoped. (Although, I suppose if you were given the choice between here and anywhere else, it's clear where you would have gone...) The benefit is that the interviewers get a more complete picture of an applicant than in an MMI scenario, where you get the interviewee as an actor of themselves. I fully acknowledge that I might not be studying here if I had a different panel. Such is the way it goes. This is what you'll get when you interview for residency positions.

Assuming you interviewed last year, the admissions committee changed the interview to a short list of standardized questions—the only questions that were allowed for judging the applicant's quality—which hindered the panel's ability to assess the interviewee and often made interviews awkward. This was definitely a miss for the admissions committee.

Also, your cynical comments offer little more than oversimplification and sweeping generalizations. One hundred extremely talented and intelligent people successfully navigate our antagonistic and irrelevant interview process every year to gain admission into our distasteful medical school. Why, upon further investigation, am I not surprised to see that you're studying at Toronto?

Do you know if it will be the same format this year?

If I am correct about this, I think they decide on the number of applicants they want to interview. Then they play with the cutoffs to get that same number of applicants as they had planned for. (<--- this is my knowledge of their process, I could be wrong.)

You are correct. The cut-offs will be set such that 760 people will be interviewed.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

I pray to God that they do.

I also pray for the 'R' to stay.

*crosses fingers*

Curious: why do you hope for the WS to stay at R? (I didn't apply to Queen's, so it doesn't affect me in any way).

Did you get an R+ on your WS, and you want the cutoff to stay high to filter out other applicants? In reality, it doesn't help you at all - the cutoffs are set to allow for some predetermined number of interviews, and because Queen's doesn't consider the MCAT post-interview, how your score compares to the cutoff makes no difference for admission (as long as you are at or above it, of course).

lol, I want whatever cutoff was last year's cutoff b/c I actually make that cutoff, you see. I also have a 9 in verbal. I think, and this is just me guessing, that if they lower the writing sample back to O, P, or even Q, then the verbal cutoff will most likely increase back to 10. And, in that case, I won't make the cutoff. So really, for me, it's not about whether or not the cutoff stays high to filter out other applicants, but whether or not I even make the cutoff (at least for verbal).

But again, it's not in my hands anymore, so I can't really do anything. Except pray, of course.

lol, I want whatever cutoff was last year's cutoff b/c I actually make that cutoff, you see. I also have a 9 in verbal. I think, and this is just me guessing, that if they lower the writing sample back to O, P, or even Q, then the verbal cutoff will most likely increase back to 10. And, in that case, I won't make the cutoff. So really, for me, it's not about whether or not the cutoff stays high to filter out other applicants, but whether or not I even make the cutoff (at least for verbal).

But again, it's not in my hands anymore, so I can't really do anything. Except pray, of course.

Ah, that makes sense. It does seem like last year's high R lead to lower cutoffs in the other sections. I actually could have pulled off an interview last year too, if I had bothered applying. :P

Good luck!

I think I was the last guy to get a result out of her. After I called that e-mail was fired :D.

It might be worth a try this year too. Although they said they are keeping the cutoffs resonable and so we can't expect to be more surprised than we were last year. Its the 760 interviewees that I am worried about.

760 interviewees for 100 spots?

That's ****ing ridiculous. If I get accepted anywhere else, I'm not going to bother showing up for that interview.

A LOT of people get waitlisted. And in recent years, they have been going through a significant number people on that waitlist.

A LOT of people get waitlisted. And in recent years, they have been going through a significant number people on that waitlist.

A lot of people get waitlisted because NO ONE is rejected.

And the movement is not significant enough to merit an increase to 760 interviewed. Not even significant enough to merit keeping all 500 interviewed on the waitlist even.

With retsage on that one (I take it you are referring to US schools?) regarding general feelings..ARGH!.

Archived