Premed 101 Forums

Num Apps for 2009

CAS

Was reading the Queen's Gazette yesterday and noticed that the dean had a small section of an article and was quoted as saying there are 3048 applicants for entrance into the 2009 class. :|

competition is stiff

especially with only 100 spots to fill

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The change to their MCAT cut-offs gave hope to everyone with an 8 or 9 in a section.... especially when the only additional work needed was clicking a check mark and tagging on $75 dollars to payment...

Lol as I was sitting at a 3.75, 2 year G.P.A. I suppose I should have been hoping for a thesis to accompany their application.

Awww well, fingers still crossed.

Maybe a 3.845 best 2 year gpa might not make it anymore.

*shudder*

Alastriss is all doom and gloom today!:eek:

EDIT: and even though I got axed at UWO b/c of the 11 BS cutoff last year, I'm damn glad I did that special year...now my last/best 2 years are at 3.9 vs. 3.76 from last year, so at least here I'm covered.

EDIT 2: Watch them drop the last 2 years thing and introduce a cumulative cutoff of 3.7 or something. :rolleyes:

*shudder*

Alastriss is all doom and gloom today!:eek:

EDIT: and even though I got axed at UWO b/c of the 11 BS cutoff last year, I'm damn glad I did that special year...now my last/best 2 years are at 3.9 vs. 3.76 from last year, so at least here I'm covered.

EDIT 2: Watch them drop the last 2 years thing and introduce a cumulative cutoff of 3.7 or something. :rolleyes:

yeah what am I saying, I doubt it will go up more than 3.8

They would probably mess around with the MCAT more, but then again its queen's.

Seems like no-matter where you turn there is "bad news" in the premed treadmill. *sigh*

Yet, i doubt that the cutoffs would go up. Here is what I think

- Not having to write 5 x 1500 character essays is an incentive

- Being so unpredictable about the cutoffs last year has reinforced the "hey, why not take a shot" attitude

- People with 9s really applied, because they made the cutoffs in all but the WS.

= ~ 1200 more applicants.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this...

I mean, there's nothing we can do now guys. So, sit back and just be happy that you tried your best.

Rationalizing or fearing it will do nothing, just leave it be as there is literally nothing you can do now.

EDIT: for those interested anyway, here's the article

http://qnc.queensu.ca/gazette/48f4a3029966c.pdf

page 6, at the bottom, there's a msg from the dean of meds

Well, Queens has always been a more MCAT-heavy school - with the exception being last year. Even then, the writing sample cut-off score was an R. Unless they suddenly decide to focus more on GPA, I'd anticipate an increase in their MCAT cutoff's....

But then again, who knows what they are going to do....If they increase the required cummulative GPA above 3.69, I am screwed.

Guest soaring_eagle

perhaps they will turn into Mac-mindset and jack up the VR cut-off leaving everything the same. If they left things as they were this year, but put the VR cuts to say 11, therefore MCAT VR11 BS9 PS9 R, same GPA, that would surely bring the pool of interviewers into ~400ish.

Small changes can eliminate lots of people

yeah i could totally see queen's doing something like that. that would really reeeally suck though! what if this trend continues...can you imagine having to retake the mcat just so you get an 11 on vr to stand a chance at queen's? even a 10 was a miracle for me. i'm hoping they just increase the gpa req't....but they probably won't:(

perhaps they will turn into Mac-mindset and jack up the VR cut-off leaving everything the same. If they left things as they were this year, but put the VR cuts to say 11, therefore MCAT VR11 BS9 PS9 R, same GPA, that would surely bring the pool of interviewers into ~400ish.

Small changes can eliminate lots of people

Guest soaring_eagle

I think scoring high on VR is only going to get harder if Mac insitutues the policy where they use VR...

imagine all of those thousands of appliacnts WHO ONLY study for VERBAL!!!!!!!! for MAC, it will be madness

rocky222, the data you provided was not last year, it was the year of the double cohort. Queen's last year had 1851...so to increase to 3040s is a drastic increase...it's even more applicants than the years of the double cohort. :eek:

I'm just hoping the ppl who wrote the article confused 2040 with 3040 b/c otherwise, that's more than a 23% increase...that's absolutely insane.......

Ah well, too late to do anything now

Archived