Premed 101 Forums

Num Apps for 2009

CAS

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I hope they got new interviewers and a better system of interviewing. Those idiots need to get their act together.

I don't know what 1234 is referring to specifically, but they do need some changes... Last year, the questions were leaked prior to the interviews. Obviously not a great scenario when the the questions are standardized and the same questions are asked in all interviews.

My friend in second year has told me that due to the number of applicants the Dean has decided to interview 760 people rather than the 500 applicants previously.

That's correct. Queen's will be interviewing 760 applicants this year, rather than 509 from last year. Because of the higher number of interviews, an additional interview date has been added on Fri Feb 27.

The other significant change this year (that has been decided upon) is that the panels will only consist of two people - a medical student and a faculty member. Community members will no longer be helping in this capacity.

Elaine

Ugh, more interviewees?! that will make post interview competition fierce. Gosh Frikkin Darnit!

760 people, 100 spots. Wow. Why do I feel that you will need a damn compelling life experience to actually distinguish yourself amongst these kind of odds?

Now if they wailist everyone post interview, we will know they have been F*&^ing with us this whole time haha

760 does seem like a lot of interviews for just 100 spots. Given that they only factor the interview score for deciding acceptances (from what I understand), an applicant will really have to shine and have a near flawless interview.

which, given a panel interview, is pretty much luck of the dice. Maybe I should paradrop into a wartorn country and wander there till march.

which, given a panel interview, is pretty much luck of the dice. Maybe I should paradrop into a wartorn country and wander there till march.

Don't forget thousands of mosquito nets and antiretrovirals. Might want an AK-47 or two to save a group of schoolchildren from rebels as well.

I'm sorry, what?

from personal experience and talking to a great number of interviewees for Queen's Med, there is a general belief that they have the worst interview system in Ontario. Their antagonistic demeanour and purely irrelevant questions generate a fairly pervasive distaste for their application process, and invariably [ as a consequence], their medical school.

They are either running a poorly guided interview environment, or, they are selecting some of the worst interviewers possible. That cocky attitude that most interviewers eminate doesnt fly well with most applicants. What is even worse is that they think their interview process will bring in the best applicants - rather, it is clear that the applicants that have a choice typically do not choose Queens, which I think is partially a consequence of their fairly uncomfortable interview weekend.

Just my opinion.

from personal experience and talking to a great number of interviewees for Queen's Med, there is a general belief that they have the worst interview system in Ontario. Their antagonistic demeanour and purely irrelevant questions generate a fairly pervasive distaste for their application process, and invariably [ as a consequence], their medical school.

They are either running a poorly guided interview environment, or, they are selecting some of the worst interviewers possible. That cocky attitude that most interviewers eminate doesnt fly well with most applicants. What is even worse is that they think their interview process will bring in the best applicants - rather, it is clear that the applicants that have a choice typically do not choose Queens, which I think is partially a consequence of their fairly uncomfortable interview weekend.

Just my opinion.

Did not get this feeling at all...although my student interviewer did mention, when I asked why Queens, they basically said they chose Queens over Alberta b/c it was national while Alberta had IP preferences (read: It helped his ego knowing he competed against a national pool rather than getting accepted b/c he was IP).

well, 1234 articulated my interview experience bang on. Their questions were just too specific and calling me a flat-out liar on one of them is just not professional; stress interview or not. Stress interviews should challenge your answers tactfully, having you searching your brain and you questioning your very own motives for medicine IN THE INTERVIEW. They are not meant to be personal attacks to see how you repond.

well, 1234 articulated my interview experience bang on. Their questions were just too specific and calling me a flat-out liar on one of them is just not professional; stress interview or not. Stress interviews should challenge your answers tactfully, having you searching your brain and you questioning your very own motives for medicine IN THE INTERVIEW. They are not meant to be personal attacks to see how you repond.

Just out of curiosity, how did the 'flat-out liar' situation arise? what was the general theme of the question and what was your answer? Just curious...

I wonder when the sketch and ref letters are factored in the selection process? I assume post-interview. They could keep the interview numbers low by going through the sketch and letters beforehand.

That would make for that much more work for them though - reading through like 2000 apps instead of 500.

Just my opinion.

That's a whole lot of big words. I particularly like "antagonistic demeanour and purely irrelevant questions generate a fairly pervasive distaste."

Anyways, we hope the interview process this year will go smooth for all. We are going to try our best to make sure that everyone has the best interview experience possible. We will have some current students on here monitoring the boards to answer any questions that you may have. Best of luck.

Last year I found my interview to be really laid back and they asked about a lot of stuff in my sketch. I found my interviewers to be really nice and they were attentive. Some of my friends who interviewed, however, did complain about adversarial interviewers. Mine were really nice though, so I can't complain about that. The only thing I can think of that might help me improve is to reflect even more about my experiences and maybe try to jot them down and just talk about them more in general. I don't try to memorize answers or anything, but look at some sample questions and try to think of experiences that fit them.

I'd probably suggest considering: 1) what you learned? 2) why you participate in this activity 3) major experiences (i.e. stories that they'll find interesting) 4) how your experiences have helped improve your character 5) how these skills you've obtained relate to medicine

Archived