Premed 101 Forums

Num Apps for 2009

CAS

As I *****ed in the U of C forums, it feels like med admissions become competitive at a faster rate than I can raise my stats, lol.:rolleyes: I know I'm not rewriting the MCAT at this point unless my score expires, so if they raise VR or BS to 11 - oh well, I always have my in-province schools that do not have a cutoff.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I *****ed in the U of C forums, it feels like med admissions become competitive at a faster rate than I can raise my stats, lol.:rolleyes: I know I'm not rewriting the MCAT at this point unless my score expires, so if they raise VR or BS to 11 - oh well, I always have my in-province schools that do not have a cutoff.

The good news is that there is enormous interest in the profession; we

have 3,038 applications to the 100 Queens medical school seats for 2009

entry.

Someone tell this WRITER that this is Not good news. ITS NOT ABOUT INTEREST ITS ABOUT NOT ENOUGH SEATS TO SATISFY THE INTEREST

and Jochi, exactly how I feel. like EXACTLY. it gets more and more competitive every year faster than I can raise my stats.

The good news is that there is enormous interest in the profession; we

have 3,038 applications to the 100 Queens medical school seats for 2009

entry.

Someone tell this WRITER that this is Not good news. ITS NOT ABOUT INTEREST ITS ABOUT NOT ENOUGH SEATS TO SATISFY THE INTEREST

and Jochi, exactly how I feel. like EXACTLY. it gets more and more competitive every year faster than I can raise my stats.

Double cohort was 2 years ago from an application standpoint...

Last year was spillover...

wtf? So the spillover year was higher than the actual double cohort?

And our second spillover year is going to be even higher?

I guess it would make sense if everyone just keeps on applying every year until they get in.

Queen's applicant numbers has now got me worried about the other schools too. In the past, Queens and Western always had the lowest number of applicants, likely due to their high mcat/gpa cutoffs. While Toronto was usually around 2700, and Mac and Ottawa were around 4000. So what does this all mean for this year.....waaaay too many applicants at every school??? Who doesn't want to go into medicine these days :rolleyes:

Well, they want 500 people interviewed.

Pure speculation here, but all of the cutoffs might go up. WS is unlikely to increase as there are not more than 500 people in Canada who got S or a T on the WS. VR...might go 10.Higher than 10? Unlikely, as Queens would be the first school in the universe to introduce this high of a cutoff on the VR. Sciences likely will go to 10, if not higher (some schools have 10+ cutoffs in sciences). Could we be looking at a 33R+ cutoff? Where will this madness end?

Run, paranoia is coming!

whoa whoa whoaaaaaa VR Mac what now? :confused:

There are speculations that Mac is gonna introduce the MCAT soon, but will only look at VR. I think their website touches on it a bit, as well, except for they don't mention the MCAT specifically, but rather some sort of "standardized test for verbal reasoning" or something like that, which has led people to speculate that they might start looking at VR. It's been discussed on the forums before, so I bet you could learn more if you do a search - I'm not applying to Mac, so I only know some very basic things.

There are speculations that Mac is gonna introduce the MCAT soon, but will only look at VR. I think their website touches on it a bit, as well, except for they don't mention the MCAT specifically, but rather some sort of "standardized test for verbal reasoning" or something like that, which has led people to speculate that they might start looking at VR. It's been discussed on the forums before, so I bet you could learn more if you do a search - I'm not applying to Mac, so I only know some very basic things.

They have been saying this for like 5 years lol.

Guest soaring_eagle
They have been saying this for like 5 years lol.

I wasn't just spitting it out. ... I e-mailed Wendy a few months ago and she said it would be the MCAT Verbal, and that it would likely be implemented soon due to increasing applicant numbers.

Somthing to chew on, but its not bull****. hahaha

I wasn't just spitting it out. ... I e-mailed Wendy a few months ago and she said it would be the MCAT Verbal, and that it would likely be implemented soon due to increasing applicant numbers.

Oh I wasn't trying to say that you were just spitting it out! lol

Just that they keep saying they'll do it, but they never actually do. ;)

Well, they want 500 people interviewed.

Pure speculation here, but all of the cutoffs might go up. WS is unlikely to increase as there are not more than 500 people in Canada who got S or a T on the WS. VR...might go 10.Higher than 10? Unlikely, as Queens would be the first school in the universe to introduce this high of a cutoff on the VR. Sciences likely will go to 10, if not higher (some schools have 10+ cutoffs in sciences). Could we be looking at a 33R+ cutoff? Where will this madness end?

Run, paranoia is coming!

ok, why do you think the cutoffs will go up? just because there are more applicants?

mac had less applicants the past cycle and a higher cgpa, so the two are not necessarily related.

previously they selected the top 500, the bottom 1300 were rejected. It doesn't matter HOW many people apply if thy are below the cutoffs they they will just get rejected. So in this scenario cutoffs may not change even if there were 10,000 applicants with a lot under the cutoffs.

Its hard to imagine who "didn't" apply. All you gotta do is add the school and you are done. I bet a lot of people with 8's and 9's didn't apply with their rigid 10 10 10 cutoff. Now that its "9 9 9 R" then all these people with 8s and 9s are def gunna apply and take their shot, i mean it's not like they have to put time in it cuz they just add it right? Now even people with 8s are going to take their shot, cuz 9 is not so far away! Then you have people with double digits in each area with a low WS, who are also going to try their chance because they feel it might revert back.

in other words, this cycle you are witnessing applicants who are virtually disregarding the true cutoffs and applying with the added incentive that the cutoffs will not change and that "we can never know what they are for sure, i mean who saw the R coming?".

previously a lot of applicants made their decisions based on the cutoffs that didn't move much, but that has changed. You can view as the "decision to apply" a cutoff in itself, and this time everyone made the cut. I suspect the gpa will not be different, but the mcat will, s maybe a 999 R with a cum of 30.

and for the guy I posted 33R is like top 8 percentile or something ridiculous like that? they won't have enough to interview.

There's nothing we can do but wait....

If you're concerned write your government rep, or the minister of health and long term care, or anyone that will listen and tell them your university average, MCAT mark, which is an american administered test, and your long list of EC's/personable traits that would make you a good doctor and mention you are semi-competitive in nearly every country in the world with this type of application and somehow can't seem to get an interview in Ontario.... tell them you will go U.S. or the Caribbean and never come back because they refuse to acknowledge your potential contribution to the medical system despite all the money you've poured into becoming competitive, schooling, and applying...

Or speculate Queen's new MCAT scores.... I'm going with 10's and 32 overall.... with either a Q or R haha!

More food for thought.... being a member of these forums I think our tendency is to believe everyone is as educated on the processes of OMSAS as we are. There are a lot of people that apply relatively blindly beyond reading info sheets.....

If you had no idea what Queen's MCAT cut-off was last year because you don't deduce from forum posts you would have gone to the Queen's website this year and saw for the first time in the last several years that Queen's had no cutoffs, but rather just required the MCAT with a statement that it's impossible to predict what cut-offs will be. You may not have known of Queen's processes in the past.... and now there is no indication on the website that even asked for 10's in the past. Hence, everybody and their cousins applied to Queens this year and the cut-offs may increase slightly, not at all, or drop even.

Just a thought..... I know I've gone overboard learning every admission detail that's available but that I'm also a jumbo keener and now that Queen's is not revealing everything, a lot of people likely applied with any MCAT score as it was as simple as tagging a few more dollars to your application.

So there are several ideas I have... lol potentially all wrong.

yeah but they didn't ask us to release our VR scores yet so I don't get how they can use it in this cycle. That is great news for me though.

ok, why do you think the cutoffs will go up? just because there are more applicants?

I see what you are getting at. You are correct. I think many people with subpar scores were encouraged by the dip in the cutoffs..."who knows, it can drop even lower this year!", while the number that meets the 999R cutoff remained the same. Yeah, I agree, this is possible. My bad. (wow that came off a bit sarcastic, once I read it again. This was not the intent.)

mac had less applicants the past cycle and a higher cgpa, so the two are not necessarily related.

I underlined one word in the above sentence. It is both a noun and my rebuttal. :D

Seriously, Mac might be better off to introduce the "Magic 8 ball" as a substitute to their 5 questions. They can supply every "reviewer" with an 8-BALL and ask them to record the outcomes on a scale from 1 to 7. Then combine this score with the GPA, and the "best" applicants will be invited for an interview sometime in the spring. I am indifferent to either the 5 questions or the magic 8 ball. Their pick really.

:D

More food for thought.... being a member of these forums I think our tendency is to believe everyone is as educated on the processes of OMSAS as we are. There are a lot of people that apply relatively blindly beyond reading info sheets.....

If you had no idea what Queen's MCAT cut-off was last year because you don't deduce from forum posts you would have gone to the Queen's website this year and saw for the first time in the last several years that Queen's had no cutoffs, but rather just required the MCAT with a statement that it's impossible to predict what cut-offs will be. You may not have known of Queen's processes in the past.... and now there is no indication on the website that even asked for 10's in the past. Hence, everybody and their cousins applied to Queens this year and the cut-offs may increase slightly, not at all, or drop even.

Good point, I didn't even think of that.

Archived