Premed 101 Forums

GS residency for an IMG

Hello there !!

can somebody help me with this question because its answer really may change my career plans.

Is it true that the medical field in Canada is deficit in the number of general surgeons that they stopped accepting an IMG for GS residency for the last 3 yeras?

and if true when they are expecting to start accepting them again?

i really hope that i get an answer soon

Thanx!!

Hello there !!

can somebody help me with this question because its answer really may change my career plans.

Is it true that the medical field in Canada is deficit in the number of general surgeons that they stopped accepting an IMG for GS residency for the last 3 yeras?

Thanx!!

I don't know about that. A guy from my international med school got into surgery at the University of Toronto last year. However, this was presumably a Canadian-born citizen who did many surgery electives in Canada in his 4th year, and I don't know if you'd have the same luck.

Hello there !!

Thanx!!

I think what you're asking is if IMGs are able to match to general surgery residency positions. The answer is a qualified yes. There are positions reserved for IMGs in several provinces. The thing is, getting one of these spots is very difficult due to the number of applicants. In other provinces IMGs compete with Canadian medical grads for residency spots, which I don't think makes applicants from either pool particularly happy. :(

The CaRMS website (http://www.carms.ca) has a lot of information on this, and you should check it out. For general surgery in particular, here are the quotas for this year:

https://w1c.e-carms.ca/pdws/jsp/pd.do?d=895&p=p3&m=1

• 2 weeks later...
Of all Canadian surgical residency programs, which is the best program that is more clinically oriented? because i am more interested in the clinical training than research, although i know that almost all programs require research as a part of the training.

If you're applying as an IMG, you should apply to every school in Canada since you probably won't get to pick and choose where you do residency.

Having said that, UWO's program has a reputation for being very old-school and hardcore, and producing very technically proficient surgeons. I'm sure other schools do as well. I'm just not as familiar with them.

Archived