Premed 101 Forums

Practice MMI Interviews in Vancouver?

Which Day of the Week would you prefer to meet (at least get this sort out first?)?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which Day of the Week would you prefer to meet (at least get this sort out first?)?

• Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in

Saturday(2-3:30pm, Jan 10):

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

igslv

BCBoy

Sunday (2-3:30pm, Jan 11):

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

premedic (have to leave halfway)

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

Just a concern I have with the way we're going now:

By practicing answers to potential questions, are we streamlining ourselves to have similar reponses come interview time? Which may be bad for two reasons; may not be an honest representation of ourselves and inability to differentiate our inherently unique viewpoints...

Hi Srindogg,

That's a valid concern, I had considered it myself earlier as well. After pondering the potential dilemma, I realized that the benefit of this practice is not so much in learning answers, but in practicing speaking aloud to strangers in a concise matter. It would be a mistake for any of us to take one person's answers (or even the consensus of the group) as having the right answer to a particular question. We are not the evaluators, only subjects to their test. Therefore, for me, the purpose of this group meeting is to get comfortable with the surroundings and answering this style of question (ie read a situation for 2 minutes, answer it for 7, being told if I need to clarify, etc). Do you agree or are you still uncomfortable with the proposed structure?

Cheers!

Count me in too

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

igslv

BCBoy

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

I have to punk out, something really important popped up for Sunday...

Fortunately that frees up some space for others interested.

Perhaps we can have another in the near future?

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

igslv

BCBoy

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

Fuknmuk,

Thats a good point about practicing speaking in front of strangers. I guess it also depends on the background of the group, some may want practice on interview content and others may want practice on interview delivery. I could certainly use practice on both :)

The only thing I would feel uncomfortable answering is personal questions like "why do you want to be a doctor" and "tell me about yourself".... To me, thats like revealing part of your autobiographical sketch to other applicants. Some sketches and answers will definitely be better than others.. Again, this may just seem like paranoia...

Overall, I agree with your post and benefits of such a practice session.

Hi Srindogg,

That's a valid concern, I had considered it myself earlier as well. After pondering the potential dilemma, I realized that the benefit of this practice is not so much in learning answers, but in practicing speaking aloud to strangers in a concise matter. It would be a mistake for any of us to take one person's answers (or even the consensus of the group) as having the right answer to a particular question. We are not the evaluators, only subjects to their test. Therefore, for me, the purpose of this group meeting is to get comfortable with the surroundings and answering this style of question (ie read a situation for 2 minutes, answer it for 7, being told if I need to clarify, etc). Do you agree or are you still uncomfortable with the proposed structure?

Cheers!

I think funkmunk hit it on the hammer (if thats the expression haha). I think the sessions are actually more about getting use to the situation, and learning how to organize your thoughts and ideas and how to properly reflect these ideas to the interviewee than actually learning about a topic or certain issues. The range of questions that they can ask us is so wide and infinite that its extermely hard to learn about all the potential scenrios they can ask us, however you can improve on the delivery of your responses.

However we should sit down and at least talk about some basic principals such as autonomy and so on.

Thats my two cents.

I added my name to saturday, as I am pretty sure i can make that now.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

igslv

BCBoy

bula

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

I'll be at the Saturday session. I have no experience with MMI... hopefully I won't fail too badly :o

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

igslv

BCBoy

bula

hanoko

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

Sharms, I think signing up for a room is a good idea, but I'm not sure how it'd work.Though nearly 20 people have signed up, I'm guessing a few less will not make it out for whatever reason. It might be hard to make the rooms roughly even in size? Do you agree?

srindogg, I'm thinking (and I am no expert by any strectch) that I agree with funkmunk in that it is the process we are practicing mostly. And thinking on our feet. Though we will maybe get ideas on answers from others, we should probably be focusing and helping each other with the reasoning behind the answers as opposed to the answers themselves.

If you look at the info for interviews I posted on the webpage, the answer itself is free to vary from person to person so long as it demonstrates an even-handed and thoughtful approach. And hopefully we can keep coming up with different practice questions/scenarios, so we won't be focusing on particular questions (since they likely won't come up in the actual interview). Hopefully the questions will cover a broad range of general topics/themes that might rear their heads on the actual interview andso we get some practice thinking through them a bit.

I definitely like the idea of researching topics and sharing a bit with each other about it. I'm thinking it might be cool if between sessions we could each look into a topic (ex: needle exchange program pros and cons) and give the basic info needed to comment on it in a balanced way. Then we could email or whatever to everyone else, so we all can get some streamlined reading on potentially hot MMI topics.

Anyways, I'm glad everyone seems to be thinking about this - it will make the sessions all the more productive for us!

I definitely like the idea of researching topics and sharing a bit with each other about it. I'm thinking it might be cool if between sessions we could each look into a topic (ex: needle exchange program pros and cons) and give the basic info needed to comment on it in a balanced way. Then we could email or whatever to everyone else, so we all can get some streamlined reading on potentially hot MMI topics.

Deanis I think that is an awesome idea, and would greatly increase everyone's awareness and knowledge on topics that are important, and could potentially creep up on us. However for it to be succesfull we need everyone to hold up their end, or we can simple have the people who did some research sit in one room and the others in another room (sounds childish I know, but i cant think of anything else that is fair to the people who do their work).

Also I think i can get a key for LSC on sunday. I know that i can get in the building on sunday that is not a problem as I have a friend who can get me in. However that might not be so usefull cause you need the key again to get into the PBL rooms, and therefore i dont know how i could let others in. I will try getting the physical key from him, and if I do Ill let you all know at latest buy tomorrow (friday).

Hello to all,

I know practice has already been set up for various members in the thread, but

I have a key to the LSC, and would be interested in practicing with 5-10 people on saturday and sunday everyweek. We can meet at starbucks, and use the tables at the LSC to practice.

My suggestion is everyone bring a scenario, and we can either discuss them or go through them in an MMI format. I can also work on obtaining a key for the PBL rooms to practice in upcoming weeks.

If anyone is interested, please email me at shifivan@hotmail.com.

Thanks

I thought about that Bula and I agree. I want to cover as much material as I can to be as prepared as I can, and it simply won't work with only 3 or 4 people participating. I think everyone could be motivated to participate if only people who have contributed are put on the email list.

I think if we could get an LSC PBL room consistently for practicing, that would be great, but I think the location doesn't matter so much. It's more about the interview process, the thinking process, and how we communicate.

Okay I got a key for LSC so its up to you guys if you wanna do it there or in the room. I think LSC would be better, but the other rooms have been booked for a while, and people may feel more comfortable going there.

If we do go to LSC we will have to do a little discretely so that the security doesnt start questioning us. Will have to go in in small groups, and not make lots of noise, let me know what you all think.

My vote is to keep it at the library. It just seems simpler since we actually have 4 rooms booked and we don't have to worry about getting kicked out or whatever. And we can be certain to have rooms every time we practice.

As I said, the LSC would be nice, but it doesn't seem like it is as ideal (aside from being in the same building, and possibly rooms). Good work getting in there though Bula!

What does everyone else think?

My vote is to keep it at the library. It just seems simpler since we actually have 4 rooms booked and we don't have to worry about getting kicked out or whatever. And we can be certain to have rooms every time we practice.

As I said, the LSC would be nice, but it doesn't seem like it is as ideal (aside from being in the same building, and possibly rooms). Good work getting in there though Bula!

What does everyone else think?

I agree that for now its best to work on our communication, knowledge, and quick thinking in the 4 rooms within the library. But later on when we are rocking, we can shift to the LSC to become familar with the setting. I also don't think its worth it to sneak into a building I'm not sapposed to be in.

That makes sense, it seems like meeting at the library room has pretty much been solidified, chaging it would probably cause to much distress.

In the library rooms we can break into mini groups which actually may prove to be more beneficial, and for the next meeting we can go to LSC.

Hopefully my friend will let me use it two weeks from now, I don't think it should be a problem.

See you all soon.

I've done the MMI last year...may I add myself to the saturday session? I thought it also would be better to do it at the LSC, and I have access, but I went through the threads, and seems like it might be best to do it where rooms are available.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

igslv

BCBoy

bula

hanoko

shifi

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

Sorry guys. It looks like I may have underestimated the time I have to run some errands that morning. So I'm down as tentative right now.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac (tentative)

jes

igslv

BCBoy

bula

hanoko

shifi

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

Sharms, I think signing up for a room is a good idea, but I'm not sure how it'd work.Though nearly 20 people have signed up, I'm guessing a few less will not make it out for whatever reason. It might be hard to make the rooms roughly even in size? Do you agree?

Agree! Maybe we can try to gather in room 416 to begin and do quick intro's (we can all fit standing up). If this does not work based on size, fill the rooms up first come first serve to ~6 per room (or any even number, if we can, based on who shows up...if we have an odd numbered group, that person can observe and give feedback and then rotate in to answer a MMI). We will eventually meet/practice with everybody if we continue this subsequent weekends and rotate groups. Thoughts?

I can make it on Sunday only

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac (tentative)

jes

igslv

BCBoy

bula

hanoko

shifi

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

igslv

skettelz

medivac

clobliss

[...] We will eventually meet/practice with everybody if we continue this subsequent weekends and rotate groups. Thoughts?

I definitely agree with that. I was thinking it might be nice to stick with one group for a bit (say a couple sessions), then trade off. The reason being is that after a couple sessions, we migh be comfortable with each other, which is great for feedback, but not so great for simulating the MMI experience where we will certainly not know the interviewers at all.

Also, it might be a bit of a headache to organize a group trade off every time. Maybe every other time? I guess it depends on how often we'll be practicing. I was thinking (and am assuming) once a week until interviews. I guess we'll find that out on Sunday (or Saturday)

So can we finalize that:

1) Saturdays group will start there meeting at 2:00pm. And will meet in room 416 before the session starts.

2) Sundays group will start there meeting at 2:00pm. And will meet in room 416 before the session starts (or at least will try to depending on the size).

Also I think for the next practice (I am guess next week), we should definately try to get LSC. I think simulating the MMI's at this point would be the best bet. Especially since the interview is not that far away. What do you all think?

I propose that people bring a list of topics that people are interested in learning more about and think are relevant to the MMI. If there is enough interest, maybe we can do this as a side thing in addition to MMI practice.

Deanis I think that is an awesome idea, and would greatly increase everyone's awareness and knowledge on topics that are important, and could potentially creep up on us. However for it to be succesfull we need everyone to hold up their end, or we can simple have the people who did some research sit in one room and the others in another room (sounds childish I know, but i cant think of anything else that is fair to the people who do their work).

Also I think i can get a key for LSC on sunday. I know that i can get in the building on sunday that is not a problem as I have a friend who can get me in. However that might not be so usefull cause you need the key again to get into the PBL rooms, and therefore i dont know how i could let others in. I will try getting the physical key from him, and if I do Ill let you all know at latest buy tomorrow (friday).

Archived