Premed 101 Forums

Practice MMI Interviews in Vancouver?

Which Day of the Week would you prefer to meet (at least get this sort out first?)?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which Day of the Week would you prefer to meet (at least get this sort out first?)?

• Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't have the key card to LSC rooms so if they are locked for weekend, that wouldn't do us any good.

I'll book the room in Irving K Barber tomorrow for Satuday 2-4 pm and update everyone with more information tomorrow.

For the practice runs, would it be possible for everyone to bring at least one question?

I am pretty sure the Life Science Building is closed on the weekends unless you have card access - does anybody know for sure? It would be nice to practice where the actual interviews are.

Just in case it is closed, I made a booking for the SUNDAY Jan 11th group @ Irving K. Barber Learning Centre Rm 415 & 416

(1961 East Mall - across the SUB) for 2:00-3:30pm- it can accomodate ~10 ppl each (even though it says 8, we can make it work) :)

If everybody can bring one MMI question each WRITTEN down, that would be great! (Basically it can be any question under the sun, an ethical dilema, or a situation and how you would react/respond...anything really).

Thanks for getting this going everybody :)

Sweet! Thanks for booking the room sharm.

Also, just to put it out there for those of us that are thinking of MMI questions, a topic of interest for the MMI is first nations issues. A friend who took the MMI at UBC last year (and got in) said that there were quite a few questions regarding first nations and medicine. Not sure what about exactly but I'll try to get a hold of him to pump him for some info.

Sorry for the late response. I cant make the Saturday session as it is to early in the day on Saturday and I am working at that time, however i will try to take time off.

I added myself to Sunday as i can make that time.

Does anyone on these lists have a key to LSC, last year when we practiced for the MMI, LSC was the best place to practice. Since you can have realistic MMI sessions and it is much more useful than 20 people packed into two rooms.

If we had LSC than we could have a brief period maybe thirty minutes before, for groups (group of 10) talking about there questions. Than for the rest we can actually go through and have the groups of 10 each ask the other group and vice versa the questions in separate one on one rooms in the lsc.

Or we could break into groups of four or five, and have one person ask a question and one respond. Than after the person response, his or her response can be critiqued by the whole group. (this was also very useful).

Is there anyone keeping track of all these people, so that on Friday, we can have a confirmed location?

Oh yeah why is that you can only go to one of the days, why can someone sign up for both, if i could get time off i would be interested in going to both?

Saturday(2-3:30pm, Jan 10):

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Sunday (2-3:30pm, Jan 11):

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

premedic (have to leave halfway)

nks

bula

I would love to join on Saturday! Thanks.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

jes

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

I completely agree with Bula (quoted below). We need to add structure to make sure we maximize our time together. With this, let's figure out how we can get access to LSC.

Does anyone have a key to LSC?

Does anyone on these lists have a key to LSC, last year when we practiced for the MMI, LSC was the best place to practice. Since you can have realistic MMI sessions and it is much more useful than 20 people packed into two rooms.

If we had LSC than we could have a brief period maybe thirty minutes before, for groups (group of 10) talking about there questions. Than for the rest we can actually go through and have the groups of 10 each ask the other group and vice versa the questions in separate one on one rooms in the lsc.

Or we could break into groups of four or five, and have one person ask a question and one respond. Than after the person response, his or her response can be critiqued by the whole group. (this was also very useful).

Sorry for the late response. I cant make the Saturday session as it is to early in the day on Saturday and I am working at that time, however i will try to take time off.

I added myself to Sunday as i can make that time.

Is there anyone keeping track of all these people, so that on Friday, we can have a confirmed location?

Oh yeah why is that you can only go to one of the days, why can someone sign up for both, if i could get time off i would be interested in going to both?

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

I am planning on attending both days for the first weekend to get a head start.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

If we don't get LSC key, can sombody book 2-3 more rooms for the Sunday Session from 2-4pm (need UBC library card or Campus Wide Login) - I have reached my max number of bookings for that day. That will atleast break it down to ~4-6ppl/room.

http://elred.library.ubc.ca/mrbs/web/day.php?year=2009&month=01&day=11&area=10

You are right Bula, we need more structure.

"we could break into groups of four or five, and have one person ask a question and one respond. Than after the person response, his or her response can be critiqued by the whole group. (this was also very useful)" Bula

This is a great idea.

I would also like to break into small groups (even number - ~6each) - and have stations. i.e. 3 ppl asking questions and 3 ppl circling the station and answering. Next the ppl that were asking the questions, have questions asked to them and circle the station. That is how I practiced last year. After each station, the person gives feedback.

Suggestions for itenerary:

Below is mine (please add, delete, change anything/everything!)

2:00pm sharp - start

2-2:10pm - intro's

2:15pm - 3:15pm - stations (10 minute each - 7minutes to answer, 3 minutes feedback and moving to next)

3:30-4pm (do we want to take it to 4pm?) - "have one person ask a question and one respond. Than after the person response, his or her response can be critiqued by the whole group" (Bula)

More suggestions/changes?

I booked 316 and 317 at Irving KB for the same time slot under UBC PreMed.

As for structure, I think it makes most sense to think about it (and discuss some ideas here) beforehand, but ultimately it will come down to how each group want to do it.

I like Bula's idea of a group critique and I also like sharm's M-MMI (Mini-MMI). Any other ideas? I definitely think we change up the people from different rooms/groups at different points so we can get fresh perspectives and help our simulation be a little more accurate (we will likely start to feel pretty comfortable with our own group members).

Sharm, the structure looks good but in order to stick to it, we will have to iron out some details beforehand. How will we divide the groups? Where will we meet as one larger group (of around 20)? Will we need to set up some tables and chairs as well as someone organising and distributing the questions -- basically so that we can get there, do the intros, and get going.

I think I'll put together a quick info page that will summarise the basic info for both groups. I have a couple downloads there to help people prep for the sessions. I'll put up the link when it's done.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

For anyone who's interested. Let me know if this is useful for me to keep updated or not. I don't want to waste my time if I can avoid it.

Also, comment on any corrections or suggestions. I basically summarised what we already talked about and put a couple links to some useful MMI material. I changed the structure a bit to match what I've read about the MMI format (2 minutes to read/prepare, 7 minutes to respond).

http://www.sfu.ca/~dvrecko/MMI.html

2:15pm - 3:15pm - stations (10 minute each - 7minutes to answer, 3 minutes feedback and moving to next)

3:30-4pm (do we want to take it to 4pm?) - "have one person ask a question and one respond. Than after the person response, his or her response can be critiqued by the whole group" (Bula)

More suggestions/changes?

My revisions are as follows...

1) the 'intro's' should be in the format of the typical question "tell me about yourself". This is just extra practice for us to give a concise answer to who we are and why we're here (ie medicine). We should try to do this as quickly as possible, meaning 1 min per person... so this depends on the number of people present

2) I'd recommend we have the one or two individuals present who have already done an MMI briefly describe it (not the questions - we know you're under an agreement), but describe the room set up, what to expect, etc. This will likely take 10 - 15 minutes max, after they've described it and people have asked any questions about logistics

Therefore, I propose...

2:10-2:25 - description of the MMI, followed by group Q&A

2:25pm - 3:25pm - stations (10 minute each - 7minutes to answer, 3 minutes feedback and moving to next)

Thanks for organizing this guys. Saturday works for me.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

My revisions are as follows...

I'd recommend we have the one or two individuals present who have already done an MMI briefly describe it (not the questions - we know you're under an agreement), but describe the room set up, what to expect, etc. This will likely take 10 - 15 minutes max, after they've described it and people have asked any questions about logistics[/b]

Honestly, what is on the website is what to expect. There is just a row of rooms, outside is the question, you read it, go in, the interviewer is in the room and the question is also in the room, you answer. They ring a bell when your time is up, you the leave room, and go to next. Start process again.

I personally don't think there is any more that anyone can say WITHOUT going against the confidentiality agreement, and it might put somebody in an awkward position.

My personal viewpt.

Deanis - thanks I think the site is very helpful :) You are right about all those points RE: structure of the meetup and grp breakup. Do we want to write down the room numbers and just have ppl sign up for a room? I don't know where we can all gather close to Irving unless we all smush (which will be REALLY tight) and start in one of the rooms (assuming we can't get LSC)? We might just have to stick to our room group? Not sure about this one. The tables and chairs are pretty much already set up in the rooms.

It seems I was dropped from the list accidentally. Now I am back on.

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes

Biochemnerd

funkmunk

UBCguy

Deanis

sharmadharma

paulista*

CMMT

Justin85

srindogg@hotmail.com

medgirl08

rednivra

nks

bula

ssb6

vaughntap

will06

Deanis, Funkmunk and Sharad, thanks for the organization work guys.

Just a concern I have with the way we're going now:

By practicing answers to potential questions, are we streamlining ourselves to have similar reponses come interview time? Which may be bad for two reasons; may not be an honest representation of ourselves and inability to differentiate our inherently unique viewpoints...

What do you guys think about researching potential topics for MMI questions Then we can present an objective description of the topics and discuss a framework for answering these questions without answering the questions themselves?

Note. I am new to this process, so my concerns may a bit sound paranoid. Let me know what you guys think.

This is great. Both Sat and Sun work for me :

ssb6

juc25

babydoctor

paulista*

phulmayaa

homoochan

premedic

Will06

lilac

jes