Premed 101 Forums

Feelin' the blues

n00b

I feel the opposite of Alastriss. Surgery, to me, is the epitome of awesome. You cut somebody up, tinker with their innards, and voila, they're better! You really get to see healing in action, unlike giving them a cocktail of antibiotics and sitting back hoping for the best.

Too bad the hours are ****.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL I got to see a couple surguries. I just didn't think they were like that. I remember turning away and then looking back and seeing the surgeon put like his entire hand INTO the guy. I as like wtf is this for real? then when they were removing this guy's fingertip because it had necrotic tissue the skin looked like cloth and the inner tissue looked like playdough. Weird.

You know what's really look though, Rad onc. Its kind of a surgical approach but seems a lot more sophisticated.

I feel the opposite of Alastriss. Surgery, to me, is the epitome of awesome. You cut somebody up, tinker with their innards, and voila, they're better! You really get to see healing in action, unlike giving them a cocktail of antibiotics and sitting back hoping for the best.

Too bad the hours are ****.

Well, they're often better... assuming they don't get a site infection or sepsis.

Wow..

went to bed late last night, just woke up sweating and scared after a nightmare whether they waitlisted me before I even interviewed

I ****in hate my premed life

haha, I feel your pain, I'm having this recurring nightmare of running through a school that looks very much like an old elementary school I went to and I'm being chased, but by who I don't know. My subconscious mind is really subtle :rolleyes:

Wow..

went to bed late last night, just woke up sweating and scared after a nightmare whether they waitlisted me before I even interviewed

I ****in hate my premed life

LOL, that's pretty harsh, but at least you don't dream of getting chased by zombies like me! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am officially completely demoralized. I'm on the verge of saying "I hate medicine". I think that so much of this process (especially in Canada) has become such BS. I am at this point more excited about the prospect of this MSc I am going to get involved in, which if I happen to end up going into it, will probably pull a "token" and shoot for US schools ONLY. At least that system is more based on merit than ours is.

I think I am officially completely demoralized. I'm on the verge of saying "I hate medicine". I think that so much of this process (especially in Canada) has become such BS. I am at this point more excited about the prospect of this MSc I am going to get involved in, which if I happen to end up going into it, will probably pull a "token" and shoot for US schools ONLY. At least that system is more based on merit than ours is.

Shall we go and drink our sorrows away in Kingston on Thursday night? LOL, PM me.

POSSIBLY I may have an assignment to finish but I think I will be long done before the night rolls around.

edit: ok that is definitely a good idea. Will PM on you facebook. What time is your interview on friday and are you leaving same day?

I'm interviewing Friday morning and taking off right away, so Thursday is the only time I can meet up....unless you wanna meet for an early breakfast and psych each other out right before the interviews, lol.

I considered signing up for a Queen's interview at the last minute yesterday, but the only date available was for this Friday. Alas, I didn't want to spend reading week with hundreds of pre-meds ;) I'm sure you'll all do great since you have a huge advantage having already interviewed in the states.

I have the same MCAT (31R) as you and a fairly similar GPA (3.7 cGPA, 3.5 science), applied early (July/August) and received four interviews thus far...so i think if you apply early next year you should have a shot somewhere.

totally forgot about this thread

thanks for the encouragement freshprince... i'm still contemplating reapplying this coming cycle (early june submission probably) and redoing all of my ECs/Essay stuff.

I'm just not sure whether I would rather do US or Aussie right now. Aussie is so tempting with it's relatively low tuition, great weather, dual-tier healthcare, brand new med facilities and commonwealth recognition...

anyways, I've learned my lesson and I hope others do too. If you have lower stats like me (to reiterate, I have 3.6/3.33 c/sGPA, balanced 31P mcat with 4.0 grad GPA and bundles of ECs in a variety of contexts), then don't bother applying later than early Sept.

I submitted in late Sept, was complete at most schools by mid-Oct to mid-Nov and received 5 holds, 6 rejections and no interviews. Hopefully this will help someone avoid my mistake and save them a few thousand $s.

Archived