Premed 101 Forums

Feelin' the blues

n00b

from wikipedia:

When used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative. While retaining its other meanings, it has also acquired "a widespread current usage" amongst young people, as a general term of disparagement.[13][14] This pejorative usage has its origins in the late 1970s. Beginning in the 1980s and especially in the late 1990s, the usage as a generic insult became common among young people.[citation needed]

This usage of the word has been criticized as homophobic. A 2006 BBC ruling by the Board of Governors over the use of the word in this context by Chris Moyles on his Radio 1 show, "I don't want that one, it's gay," advises "caution on its use" for this reason:

“ "The word ‘gay’, in addition to being used to mean ‘homosexual’ or ‘carefree’, was often now used to mean ‘lame’ or ‘rubbish’. This is a widespread current usage of the word amongst young people... The word 'gay' ... need not be offensive... or homophobic [...] The governors said, however, that Moyles was simply keeping up with developments in English usage. [...] The committee... was "familiar with hearing this word in this context." The governors believed that in describing a ring tone as 'gay', the DJ was conveying that he thought it was 'rubbish', rather than 'homosexual'. [...] The panel acknowledged however that this use... in a derogatory sense... could cause offence in some listeners, and counselled caution on its use. ”

—BBC Board of Governors, [15]

The BBC's ruling was heavily criticised by the Minister for Childen, Kevin Brennan, who stated in response that "the casual use of homophobic language by mainstream radio DJs" is:

“ "too often seen as harmless banter instead of the offensive insult that it really represents. [...] To ignore this problem is to collude in it. The blind eye to casual name-calling, looking the other way because it is the easy option, is simply intolerable." ”

—Tony Grew, [16]

Shortly after the Moyles incident a campaign against homophobia was launched in Britain under the slogan "homophobia is gay", playing on the double meaning of the word "gay" in youth culture.[17]

In an attempt to avoid being offensive when used non-sexually, the word is sometimes spelled as "ghey"

Sooo..maybe if you just changed the spelling to GHEY that would make everyone happy???

There...problem solved:D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but calling it gay is trying to get a cheap laugh at the expense of another group.

That's just a really immature way of expressing it.

It's not getting a cheap laugh at the expense of another group. Read the post above mine. It's a colloquial way of saying "lame." Do you say "lame?" How dare you get a cheap laugh at the expense of the handicapped?!

Not very classy...

Regardless, there are better choices of words. As a future medical student and doctor it is guaranteed you will not make people pleased if you are overhead using that word in a negative sense in a hospital etc.

Best to eliminate it from your vocab and use it only it the proper context.

Nah, I'm good.

Mature...

Well that's awesome... Be prepared to have problems with your professionalism once/if you become a med student.

Heck, even better why don't you show your true colors during an interview. Insinuate negativity via using the word gay. Make my job and that of my colleagues easy...

It's not getting a cheap laugh at the expense of another group. Read the post above mine. It's a colloquial way of saying "lame." Do you say "lame?" How dare you get a cheap laugh at the expense of the handicapped?!

Yes, there were multiple ways. "Gay" suited it just fine, though. :)

"Gay" is not suited just fine to be a colloquial way of saying "lame". The word's formal meaning represents the sexual orientation of millions of canadians. Keep using it colloquially to mean lame and i guarantee you'll unpleasantly burn your bridges very quickly. :)

... and are you implying that being gay makes one handicapped?

"Gay" is not suited just fine to be a colloquial way of saying "lame". The word's formal meaning represents the sexual orientation of millions of canadians. Keep using it colloquially to mean lame and i guarantee you'll unpleasantly burn your bridges very quickly. :)

... and are you implying that being gay makes one handicapped?

Ha, no.

Lame is an archaic term for the physically disabled. Eventually kids started using it to describe anything they thought was...er...lacklustre, and the community then found other terms or euphemisms to describe themselves. The same thing is happening with gay, though I don't think the LGBT community is going to give up as easily. :D

I can't believe this is being actually debated, pathetic.

The whole lame thing isn't very correct either if you think about it...

All I will say is if you plan on running around any major metropolitan center in Canada, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal etc. I advise you to not act like some grade 10 high school idiot and use a different word. Because I assure you that you will offend people.

I can't believe this is being actually debated, pathetic.

The whole lame thing isn't very correct either if you think about it...

All I will say is if you plan on running around any major metropolitan center in Canada, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal etc. I advise you to not act like some grade 10 high school idiot and use a different word. Because I assure you that you will offend people.

Hey swifty, look up the origin of the word idiot.

Hey swifty, look up the origin of the word idiot.

No one uses the word "idiot" in that archaid meaning of medical mental retardation anymore.

Hardly anyone uses the word "lame" to describe physical disability.

But "gay" is another standard term for homosexuality at this present time.

People don't immediately associate mental retardation, physical handicap with "idiot" and "lame,"

but people are going to think of homosexuality first when they see the word and THEN they realize that it's used in a different context.

I'm sure you will agree that the current meanings of "lame" and "idiot" didn't really originate in the best of ways,

and just because they mean that way now doesn't make it right,

so why continue adding a negative connotation to yet another word?

No one uses the word "idiot" in that archaid meaning of medical mental retardation anymore.

Hardly anyone uses the word "lame" to describe physical disability.

But "gay" is another standard term for homosexuality at this present time.

People don't immediately associate mental retardation, physical handicap with "idiot" and "lame,"

but people are going to think of homosexuality first when they see the word and THEN they realize that it's used in a different context.

I'm sure you will agree that the current meanings of "lame" and "idiot" didn't really originate in the best of ways,

and just because they mean that way now doesn't make it right,

so why continue adding a negative connotation to yet another word?

Thanks schnauzr for the good dose of reality.

I am absolutely mind boggled people are actually defending using the offensive use of the word gay... Sad just sad...

It is really sad!

I really don't get why people continue to use the word gay in this way, let alone come to defend others that do so.

When you use the word gay as a pejorative, the best thing you can hope for is that you’re surrounded by people equally ill-informed so that they won’t even notice your glaring lack of independent thought regarding why what you’ve done is wrong. Anybody who has taken even half a minute to consider this issue objectively will think you’re a bigot – or at best misguided. What’s even worse is you might actually offend someone!!

So why not avoid all this and simply pick a different word?!?! Life is hard enough. Why make it harder for some people than it has to be?

Are you guys imputing these ideas onto the gay community - because I've heard them use the word "gay" in the same context.

It's not like they're using the word with hatred or ill-intent against the gay community, like some of the other words. If the gay-community takes offensive to it, then fine. I've yet to come across any gays that take offensive to it, but I've come across many that use the word in the same way as the OP.

I agree though, it shouldn't be used because it makes you sound really immature - I usually associate its use with teenagers who don't any better and it's ok when I hear them use it, but when I hear an adult use it, it makes that person sound really childish and I don't think too highly of them after that. Sorta like using the word "like" too much in your sentences, lol.

good luck with the rest of your med apps and securing a spot ... the thought of that kinda cracks me up ... laterz :)

I just happened to drop in, and am curious if you believe the med school application process screens for this type of thing, or if it is really meant to at all. During interviews, almost everybody puts on a show and aims to project a certain image. From my experience of the application process, I do not believe it is particularly good or even actively intends to identify this. I do not think his or her chances are altered at all by their behaviour here or beliefs.

I understand you probably typed your words in jest, but it is something that has bothered me in the past. Many people and patients act as if doctors or medical students are special, and I really feel that this trust and respect is misplaced.

I just happened to drop in, and am curious if you believe the med school application process screens for this type of thing, or if it is really meant to at all. During interviews, almost everybody puts on a show and aims to project a certain image. From my experience of the application process, I do not believe it is particularly good or even actively intends to identify this. I do not think his or her chances are altered at all by their behaviour here or beliefs.

I understand you probably typed your words in jest, but it is something that has bothered me in the past. Many people and patients act as if doctors or medical students are special, and I really feel that this trust and respect is misplaced.

the interview process at most medical schools in the us varies tremendously. at the extreme, you have schools like columbia where dean frantz actually interviews and has a huge role in hand selecting the class and then other schools that heavily rely on student interviewers. everyone will tell you they are trying to select applicants that will be the best fit for the profession and ultimately for their institution but there really isn't a one size fits all formula for this.

most applicants who interview, tend to put forth their best face so they are highly unlikely to make comments/statements that could potentially jeopardize their success at gaining admission. i personally don't think the interview process is a very effective tool for screening applicants based on character. there are interviewers i know who like to put applicants on the spot with questions, but i don't agree with doing this because the interview process is already stressful as it is ...... schools are generally receptive to suggestions on how to improve the process so i think most places would be happy to receive feedback :).

it's very true that the general public views doctors and med students very highly and there is a preconceived notion that the profession somehow magically selects applicants with the uttermost integrity and tolerance which is far from the truth. it sure isn't a perfect world !!!

So, let me make sure I understand this. I, as I've already stated, have had three close gay friends in my life. One in high school (guy) and two in university (guy, girl). Yet, by using the term "gay" to mean "lame," you have somehow deduced that deep down, I am intolerant towards homosexuals.

This is what I'm talking about when I say you crack me up. It's so utterly absurd, fit only for people who have lived in a bubble and never once approached the real world and the real people in it. You truly strike me as the kind of person who has never had a gay friend, knows nobody from the gay community, but once had a conversation with a gay guy so you totally get what it's like to be a homosexual and can fully empathize with their plight! You'd never use the word "fag," you oh-so-tolerant queen of political correctness. Again, laughable. None too bright, but very amusing nonetheless. :)

Anyway, let's get back to noob's intended discussion of feeling the blues.

I am feeling the blues because NYU acceptances went around today and I received nothing.

*a big sigh*

They did say it was only for top applicants, but it still stings.

I really liked NYU for its city life and Bellevue.

I'm going to obsess over this the whole holiday season.

I'm dreading the fact that I'm gonna have to wait until March to hear back something.

Does anybody wish they had some sort of a time-capsule/time-machine to fast-forward to May to see if they've gotten into any school or not?

I've started thinking about my plan B - which is either continue doing research or go work in a farm or a fishing boat for a year and clear my mind.

So am I feeling the blues?

You bet.

Also, when did you interview? From what I saw on SDN, only the October interviewees seemed to have heard any news. So, maybe they just haven't had a chance to hit your file?

NYU, though, probably isn't a place to put one's eggs at. I was looking at the MSAR for last year on NYU on internationals:

198 apps

11 interviews

1 matriculation

Eep!

Then again, I guess they could accept lots but most matriculate elsewhere. That's what I'm hoping at least. Besides the dorm life, I really dug NYU also. Though I hear they don't help with financial aid at all. :(

I interviewed in early October, so they probably did go over my file.

Yeah, the acceptance rate is much higher than the matriculating rate.

USnews statistics show that for fall 2007, 204 international applied, 11 interviewed, 6 accepted, and 2 matriculated.

So there's a good chance for all of us!!

Just ... got to sit tight until March, or January as some suggested.

Squirm...

Archived