Premed 101 Forums

prescribing for family member

How bad is this in terms of getting disciplinary actions from the college? As bad as, say, sexual harassment?

How about if you keep a good clinical record of your own family members - just like any patient - would this be allowed?

How about for narcotics?

Different colleges may have different policies. At least the majority do not condone you treating family except under emergency situations, so you wouldn't have a clinical record of your family by virtue of that fact.

Usually, a doctor will not have a family member in his practice. However, it is common (and not illegal) for a doctor to prescribe to family members. Also, they tend to give their leftover samples to family members. Narcotics is another story though, if the family member needs narcotics short term (1 month) then ok, but long term and in high doses, it is best to stay out of it and refer to the family doctor.

Also, to respond to the other question, some doctors ask for copies of family member's medical documents (prescriptions, emergency visits, etc.) to be able to monitor their condition (without being the official physician).

I know this because both my parents are doctors and I have been working for them updating the medical files for 6 years now. They prescribe medication for me all the time although my family doctor is a family friend (I have never seen him though for an official appointment). My parents treat me (annual check up and shots mostly, i'm in good health).

Hi MiSarah,

What are about prescribing something long term that are relatively harmless, say statin?

I mean it is a lot of trouble for a busy family member to schedule an appointment to see the GP, having to wait in the office for couple of hours, and just to get a prescription refill?

Now when your parents prescribe for you, do they put you in clinical record or in the computer system?

If so, are you considered a regular patient of your parents?

And what is wrong with the picture that the college has to discipline the doctors? I mean your parents will know your family and medical history much better than anyone else out-there!

And what is wrong with the picture that the college has to discipline the doctors? I mean your parents will know your family and medical history much better than anyone else out-there!

I believe a large part of it is the fact that when you are so heavily emotionally invested in someone (like a family member), there is a real risk that your medical judgment may be affected. It's quite difficult to impartially judge the data. You have no professional distance.

Plus there is always the risk that you miss/dismiss something, person gets really sick/dies. Psychologically devastating for the physician (on top of the regular emotional trauma it would cause).

I think it does have to do with the emotional investment / judgment factor. I knew a doctor who missed classic symptoms of a fairly severe disease in his wife - it's hard to see things that you really don't want to see.

A lot of doctors will fill basic prescriptions for family members though. I'm not sure whether that's technically allowed by the college or not.

I spoke to my dad about this. He has prescribed narcotics before short term to my grand father when he had bladder stones. It was short term to help relieve the pain.

For statin, he would prefer the family member go to another doctor as this requires long term consultations. He would however renew the prescription if needed.

Although you do not have your family member as a regular patient, you will usually be involved. My dad gave the example that when his mother had breast cancer, he was there everyday with her, consulted with her physician about what would be the best treatment for her.

To respond to the other question, my parents do keep the prescriptions they make for me in a file with my name. It's not an official file but it is to keep the information if they need to retrieve it.

I'll be home for Christmas (awww) so please let me know if there are any other questions that I can ask my parents.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Archived