Premed 101 Forums

2009 Interview Stats - Invited/Rejected

Skimming through the stats, I'm wondering if a Q in WS meant you had to have a 12 in another section, whereas an R let you get away with a lower score somewhere else. If not, I think it's at least reasonable to assume that the cutoffs were layered or conditional in some way this year, rather than straight up hard cutoffs like previous years.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skimming through the stats, I'm wondering if a Q in WS meant you had to have a 12 in another section, whereas an R let you get away with a lower score somewhere else. If not, I think it's at least reasonable to assume that the cutoffs were layered or conditional in some way this year, rather than straight up hard cutoffs like previous years.

This is certainly consistent with the idea that they don't release the cutoffs like UWO does.

I was thinking something along those lines myself, particularly considering they had a specific # of applicants they wanted to interview, so they may have had to come up with a couple scenarios to arrive at that number.

Guest viscous
I'm in limbo haha. Didn't meet the cutoffs, but they're not officially rejecting me, in case they can manage to fit me in for an interview. 14/9/14 R, 3.94 top 2 years

i am in the same boat. how will they rank waiting lists?

Guest viscous
may i ask what your stats are ^^? there must be a way to compile a list and how does that work i wonder

VR9, PS and BS > 10, total > 32, 3.92 recent 2 years. its a pity that people with lower overall mcat score and gpa as well get an interview while we dont. gotta live with it.

update: when I look at the janitor at my school, I feel humbled and thank God for what I have, gotta stop complaining.

while i dont really have your stats i am curious as to the method they used. those stats are sick no matter where you apply but i suppose you will also get no love from western which makes no sense to me.

hard cutoffs that target the 90th percentile also make no sense. whiel there is no way to quanititate qualitative aspects cutoffs should b used solely to separate a certain layer. queens alienates the guy who gets 10 9 10 P but cures AIDS

Just thought everyone would like to know..

I emailed Queens about my application status because I hadn't heard a single thing. They told me to call the office so I did. Turns out that the admission committee has a small pool of applicants who didn't make the cut-offs (GPA and/or MCAT) but there was (as the lady on the phone put it) "something in their application" that the committee wanted to look into further. She said this meant I may or may not get an interview and it seemed like it depends mainly on whether there is time or space for them to interview me.

In the end... I guess this is like being on the interview waitlist (?)

I got an invitation a few days ago. I thought I'd add to the stats:

B/V/P/W

11/13/11/Q

3.68 GPA

EC's: Not really any extra-curriculars from Sept-May. Research at SickKids for two summers, one summer volunteering in Mongolia. Not sure why I got an interview. It doesn't make any sense at all. I may be completely wrong, but the only conclusion I can draw is that I got an interview because of an awesome reference letter from my math professor (I took an abstract algebra course for my math minor)

hmm 14,12,9 R, 3.92 recent 2 years. its a pity that people with lower overall mcat score and gpa as well get an interview while we dont. gotta live with it.

update: when I look at the janitor at my school, I feel humbled and thank God for what I have, gotta stop complaining.

what if i tell you that there's a chance that the janitor's happy, while you aren't?

it's naive to pity people simply based on their occupation (or lack of), apparent lack of education and income.

what if i tell you that there's a chance that the janitor's happy, while you aren't?

it's naive to pity people simply based on their occupation (or lack of), apparent lack of education and income.

Advantage truffle (your name makes me crave chocolate truffles btw everytime I read one of your posts). However I think viscous was saying his own level of happiness would be a lot less had he been in the janitor's shoes. The janitor's personal level of happiness is not brought into question here, but had it been viscous he would not be happy, presumably because occupation/income increases is utility.

From what I've read about burnout, it happens because people work very hard towards a goal, and then when they achieve that goal, they realize that they don't become as happy as they thought they would be.

This is what happened to me after my FIRST semester in undergrad. I was getting really high marks and working really hard, but I was extremely depressed because I had isolated myself from those around me and the marks did not make me as happy as I thought I would be. (I'm sure many of us have gone through this).

Lesson: don't worry, be happy.

Guest viscous

First of all I was never saying that the janitors might not be happy with their jobs. my argument was related to myself. Would I be happy if I was a janitor? Not necessarily. Yes, the janitor still continues to stick with his job but has he got any other option? Who knows why he became a janitor? Maybe his ideas changed over time? maybe he never wanted to become one but he somehow became one and now starts liking it just because thats all he can do within the bitter realities of this world in order to at least live the remaining years of his mortal life? Maybe I am extrapolating a lot but at least I can say that if I were in his shoes, I would feel really bad. So in summary my point was that for me that job is filthy (to clean someone else's ****, unless they are child or unfortunately handicapped) and I should be satisfied with what I have. Even if the janitor is happy, by looking at him, I should be happy with myself as well because I am not one. In the same way, by looking at me, a janitor have the chance to be happy because, like me, he is not locked up in his room and getting depressed over his rejections from med schools. I am not saying that he is inferior to me just because he is a janitor, i am just talking about the job, not the person who does the job.

some people love cleaning and its their choice to become a janitor, especially in a place like Canada where other opportunities abound, and I respect their decision even if I disagree with their choice. But at least in the place where I grew, people who did not have the resources to become something they wanted (which was not to become a janitor), they were "forced" by the turn of events to take jobs that htey hated i.e. janitors and I felt "pity" for them due to the standard of life they were imposed to live by the society. so yea, I am not pitying Canadian janitors, I am just arguing that I wouldnt want to be one, either in Canada or elsewhere, and I should take satisfaction from the fact that thankfully I am not one. hopefully that drives home my point. But one can argue that we barely become something that we want to. Point in case is our struggle to become a doctor. But again, if I dont become one, becoming a janitor is not the only alternative option. But what if that was the only option left? and what if .... and what if ...

Its just like someone saying "thanks God I am not a scientist/researcher." But some scientists really love research! So why fry me on this when I use the other end of spectrum while the argument is essentially the same :P

First of all I was never saying that the janitors might not be happy with their jobs. my argument was related to myself. Would I be happy if I was a janitor? Not necessarily. Yes, the janitor still continues to stick with his job but has he got any other option? Who knows why he became a janitor? Maybe his ideas changed over time? maybe he never wanted to become one but he somehow became one and now starts liking it just because thats all he can do within the bitter realities of this world in order to at least live the remaining years of his mortal life? Maybe I am extrapolating a lot but at least I can say that if I were in his shoes, I would feel really bad. So in summary my point was that for me that job is filthy (to clean someone else's ****, unless they are child or unfortunately handicapped) and I should be satisfied with what I have. Even if the janitor is happy, by looking at him, I should be happy with myself as well because I am not one. In the same way, by looking at me, a janitor have the chance to be happy because, like me, he is not locked up in his room and getting depressed over his rejections from med schools. I am not saying that he is inferior to me just because he is a janitor, i am just talking about the job, not the person who does the job.

some people love cleaning and its their choice to become a janitor, especially in a place like Canada where other opportunities abound, and I respect their decision even if I disagree with their choice. But at least in the place where I grew, people who did not have the resources to become something they wanted (which was not to become a janitor), they were "forced" by the turn of events to take jobs that htey hated i.e. janitors and I felt "pity" for them due to the standard of life they were imposed to live by the society. so yea, I am not pitying Canadian janitors, I am just arguing that I wouldnt want to be one, either in Canada or elsewhere, and I should take satisfaction from the fact that thankfully I am not one. hopefully that drives home my point. But one can argue that we barely become something that we want to. Point in case is our struggle to become a doctor. But again, if I dont become one, becoming a janitor is not the only alternative option. But what if that was the only option left? and what if .... and what if ...

Its just like someone saying "thanks God I am not a scientist/researcher." But some scientists really love research! So why fry me on this when I use the other end of spectrum while the argument is essentially the same :P

yeah i know you meant you wouldn't be happy being a janitor, not that you despised the occupation. it's just that what you said can be interpreted as callousness and political incorrectness. i was just playing the devil's advocate/slacking off on this forum. remember how i didn't make personal attacks.

While the original post has clearly been misinterpreted by now, I've said it before, and I've said it again - it's painfully obvious some people on this forum have never done **** jobs, because they make it sound like janitorial services and the like are the end all, be all, since they want to be politically correct. I was buddies with a janitor at one of my old jobs, and one of her frequent tasks was to go into the public washroom and wipe off **** someone would regularly smear on the walls. No one WANTS to do that. All of this "loves cleaning," "loves doing dishes" is total BS obviously coming from someone who's never done this type of work. I HAVE, and there's nothing more insulting than having some pompous moron pretend like your job is amazing and they'd just LOVE to do it. If being a janitor or fast food burger-flipper is so rewarding, why don't you guys go for that instead of medical school? Let's at least face our prejudices and be honest with ourselves.

• 1 month later...
While the original post has clearly been misinterpreted by now, I've said it before, and I've said it again - it's painfully obvious some people on this forum have never done **** jobs, because they make it sound like janitorial services and the like are the end all, be all, since they want to be politically correct.

wrong

{i wrote a reply to this but deleted it a few weeks later due to personal reasons. please don't add more comments to this debate}

• 2 weeks later...
While the original post has clearly been misinterpreted by now, I've said it before, and I've said it again - it's painfully obvious some people on this forum have never done **** jobs, because they make it sound like janitorial services and the like are the end all, be all, since they want to be politically correct. I was buddies with a janitor at one of my old jobs, and one of her frequent tasks was to go into the public washroom and wipe off **** someone would regularly smear on the walls. No one WANTS to do that. All of this "loves cleaning," "loves doing dishes" is total BS obviously coming from someone who's never done this type of work. I HAVE, and there's nothing more insulting than having some pompous moron pretend like your job is amazing and they'd just LOVE to do it. If being a janitor or fast food burger-flipper is so rewarding, why don't you guys go for that instead of medical school? Let's at least face our prejudices and be honest with ourselves.

No offense Jochi, but you are making a pretty ridiculous statement there. Some people do enjoy a "simpler" life. It isn't the love of cleaning or the love of dishes, it is the love of a life where when your shift is over, you go home. You collect your pay cheque, and go home.

I'm in medical school. I do enjoy my work, but truth be told, I'll likely never enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my first job...working in a grocery store. The world has put demands on me that, require me to do other things. But I enjoyed my menial labour. I accomplished my small something every day, and then I went home and had no pressures or worries about work. Try to have that as a physician.

As to the point of this thread...Congrats to those who got an interview! Hope they have went well.

As for those who didn't, I feel bad for many of you, as based on the stats I see, there were MANY deserving candidates who didn't get one. It sucks that the cutoffs have to be set to try to limit numbers. It's too bad that not everyone who deserves a shot, gets one.

No offense Jochi, but you are making a pretty ridiculous statement there. Some people do enjoy a "simpler" life. It isn't the love of cleaning or the love of dishes, it is the love of a life where when your shift is over, you go home. You collect your pay cheque, and go home.

I'm in medical school. I do enjoy my work, but truth be told, I'll likely never enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my first job...working in a grocery store. The world has put demands on me that, require me to do other things. But I enjoyed my menial labour. I accomplished my small something every day, and then I went home and had no pressures or worries about work. Try to have that as a physician.

Oh, gosh, your life sucks so bad, I'm sure it was so much better to be making $8 an hour at the grocery store. No one prevents you from dropping out from medical school and going back to minimum wage, you know. Give me a break. There's a lot of people (not just here) who would kill to be in your position, so they never have to worry about having to pick between paying their utility bill or going to the dentist.

I don't usually involve myself in these sorts of debates, but this one is for "The_B":

I concede that there are benefits to a life bereft of pressure or worry, but the way society is headed it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a comfortable living through "menial labour". I think it is ignorant to claim that, on average, someone would rather clean **** smeared on a bathroom wall than experience the satisfaction of handing a mother her newborn baby. If you look at the evidence regarding SES and self-rated satisfaction with life you will see that your statement of the joys of a "simpler life" are not rooted in fact, mainly because you WILL have to make significant sacrifices if you are making $8-10/hr and trying to start a family.

I would argue that your reporting of such a positive experience was exactly because you did not face financial pressure at home. Might this be related to these "demands of the world" you speak of?

Archived