Premed 101 Forums

2009 Interview Weekend - Info & Questions

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview for Queen's! Here is the website with information regarding interview weekend:

http://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/meds2013:welcome__congratulations

If you have any questions regarding the weekend, please post them in this thread. In order to keep the information in this thread easy to find, please use other threads for topics not related to the interview weekend.

Thanks, and best wishes at your interview! I look forward to seeing you there.

Elaine

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

Do you know if we get to choose our interview date, or if we are assigned one?

Thanks,

You will get the opportunity to choose your interview date and time, on a first-come, first-served basis. Your interview e-mail will have details about a website that you will log into at the specified time to choose your day and time.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

You will get the opportunity to choose your interview date and time, on a first-come, first-served basis. Your interview e-mail will have details about a website that you will log into at the specified time to choose your day and time.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

To add to Elaine's comment: you will be able to log in to the site Elaine described, and choose your interview date and time, on Feb 9.

Good luck in your preparation.

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview for Queen's! Here is the website with information regarding interview weekend:

http://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/meds2013:welcome__congratulations

Elaine

This was really helpful, thanks! The fact that you guys put effort into welcoming the new class and also that you all seem to be really proud of your school is a good indicator. It's often very difficult to differentiate between the quality of the different schools in Ontario, but it's made me want to go to Queens, at the very least.

I just noticed this in the interview email:

"When you arrive, you will be given a short written assignment to complete. This will take 15 minutes and will be used in the assessment of your application."

That's new, I think... any ideas about what it could be?

"When you arrive, you will be given a short written assignment to complete. This will take 15 minutes and will be used in the assessment of your application."

Sounds like an essay. 15 minutes is awful short for an essay though.

It's got to be an essay. All the MMIs have essays so I guess this is what they are moving towards...

I don't know if you guys did the mcmaster online research thing, but assuming that we are allowed to use the 15 minutes to type our responses, thats a lot of time to write something worthy of assessment down.

Elaine and/or QI09, any info about this? Also, I am just curious how evaluations are done. Are you given scores based on your interview immediately after you are done? or do they wait until the end of the day?

Elaine and/or QI09, any info about this? Also, I am just curious how evaluations are done. Are you given scores based on your interview immediately after you are done? or do they wait until the end of the day?

Alastriss - I'm not sure what you are asking. You won't be given any scores on the day of the interview. Acceptances go out May 15 again this year. (Am I possibly misunderstanding your question?)

Elaine

I posted this in the UWO board too, but I thought I should get some "Queen's" advice too.

I am an out-of-Ontario applicant and have received interviews at UWO and Queens. In order to save on the cost of flights and accommodations (as well as time!) I was wondering if it would be possible to interview at both schools in the same weekend (ie UWO on Saturday and Queens on Sunday). Would I have to fly between cities or could I take a bus? Or is it too crazy to try and do both in the same weekend?

I posted this in the UWO board too, but I thought I should get some "Queen's" advice too.

I am an out-of-Ontario applicant and have received interviews at UWO and Queens. In order to save on the cost of flights and accommodations (as well as time!) I was wondering if it would be possible to interview at both schools in the same weekend (ie UWO on Saturday and Queens on Sunday). Would I have to fly between cities or could I take a bus? Or is it too crazy to try and do both in the same weekend?

Hmm it is pretty crazy but still possible. What is it, about a 6 hour drive between them?

One question - do we complete the assignment on a computer, or is it an actual written essay?

Sounds dumb but I write as slow as three legged traquilized turtle in a snow storm. However I can type at 75 words a minute - go figure :)

same problem and same question :P

does anyone know? :)

Congratulations on receiving interviews at both Queen's and Western! Yes, it is doable to attend interviews on the same weekend.

You have a few options regarding transportation between the two cities. You could take a train or a bus. We will arrange for transportation to/from the train/bus station for you in Kingston. I'm guessing that the folks at Western are offering the same assistant to applicants.

You could fly between the two cities, but you would have to stop in Toronto. I'm not sure you'd save a lot of time, and it is likely quite expensive, as Kingston is only serviced by Air Canada, and short flights tend to be pricey.

You could also rent a car and make the drive between the two cities. As has been mentioned, it is about 6 hours between Kingston and London, and that is presuming you don't get caught up in traffic going through Toronto or a snow storm.

I would suggest you plan to interview at one school on early Saturday, and then make the trip to the second school later that day/evening. That way, you don't have to be stressed about being late for an interview! Plus, you could likely participate in the activities at the schools the night before your interview, to help you get a feel for them, should you have to choose between the schools on May 15.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

UWO is way on the southwest, queen's is way on the northeast. i would assume the bus ride would take >6 hrs (a very modest estimation based on driving. i think the drive is 6 hrs). also look into VIA rail. it's more comfortable than bussing. oh and like elaine said, flying is trouble. you'll waste hours at airports, and in transit between airports and the schools.

where are you from? if you are from somewhere close, like quebec, maybe you could do two weekends. but if you are from some place like BC, i guess you could save by coming just once. and whatever you do also depends on how much money you have. i have a negative amount, due to my OSAP debt.

Alastriss - I'm not sure what you are asking. You won't be given any scores on the day of the interview. Acceptances go out May 15 again this year. (Am I possibly misunderstanding your question?)

Elaine

Hi elaine, So what I am askng about specifically is when the med student and the faculty member give you a score. Do they decide on your score for the various categories (ie 1 - 10) right after you leave the interview room? or do they just take notes down for the answers you provided and give them to a separate committee that ranks applicants?

I have a similar problem.

My interview at Mac is on March 28th. I also have an exam on Feb 27th and another on Feb 28th. I guess I could choose my interview date to be March 1st but it feels pretty stressful to go right after my exams. At the same time choosing March 29th would also be a bit stressful going from Hamilton to Kingston in one night and interviewing next day... (my Mac interview won't even end until the evening.)

what do you guys think would be a better choice?

One question - do we complete the assignment on a computer, or is it an actual written essay?

Sounds dumb but I write as slow as three legged traquilized turtle in a snow storm. However I can type at 75 words a minute - go figure :)

I write really-really fast, however, my writing is incomprehensible. In fact, I've been told I have "doctor handwriting..." Could this deficiency be possibly turned into an asset? Hmmm....:D

Archived