Premed 101 Forums

How much more money would you pay...

BlackJack

None. Why do I care?

Don't know whether you are joking around or not (as things often get lost in translation on the internet).

I have often wondered whether I could get a partial credit/refund for having a seat directly in front of a family with a screaming baby and a toddler who is constantly kicking my seat and pushing my arm rest up and down.

Sure it would have been nice of me to entertain this toddler, but not when I'm already strung out (I guess it would be bad form to steal Ativan) and constantly checking that the puke bag is easily accessible (Gravol just makes it worse).

I'm guessing because babies have this cute tendency to cry bloody murder.

lol, yes that might be the reason. I don't know if I would pay extra for crying babies since I can usually try and tune them out but would probably pay more to get away from really badly-behaved kids. I took a flight once and as usual I was stuck in the baby-sitting section of the plane. The mom was on the aisle seat with her toddler, her daughter was in the middle next to me. The daughter spent the first 2 hours of the flight with her feet on my arm-rest, literally kicking it at one minutes intervals. I kept waiting for the mom to give a smackdown but instead she would say in the sweetest voice "Oh honey, please don't do that to the nice lady." Of course the kid just ignored her. I don't mind kids who cry/act a bit naughty if the parent is obviously embarrassed and trying their best but not when parents let their kids act like total jerks! I was really patient until the girl spilled her ENTIRE can of tomato juice on my pants and shoes. Would have definitely paid more to have been far, far away from them!

None. Why do I care?

How about no women? Or Asians? Or med students?

Quit your ageism.

Wow. I can't tell if you're joking. Your statement is so militantly PC that its kind of hilarious.

To answer your question: if the female, Asian, or Doogie-Howser med student is a child, then no, I don't want it on my plane.

Races, occupations, and sexes do not have a tendency to scream incessantly, nor kick the seats, nor vomit on other passengers. Children do.

When I pay hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I would appreciate not having to deal with the annoyance of poorly-behaved children and screaming babies.

I would pay an extra $100 for a guarantee that children would not be on the flight.

So I'm guessing no to Pediatrics...

Just what I was thinking.

And I was mostly joking... I'm pretty sarcastic, and useless questions like this kinda annoy me (especially at 4 AM, when I typed the first post). But the fact of the matter is, as soon as you say certain people aren't allowed on the plane, thats discrimination, plain and simple. I don't like sitting next to the fat guy because his gut and arm flop over the arm rest, but guess what: I deal with it.

The suggestions above are good: earplugs, ipod, can drown out the sound, and a stern talking to to the mom can embarrass her enough to start doing something. Or do what I do, and just make funny faces at the kid... they usually start laughing.

The suggestions above are good: earplugs, ipod, can drown out the sound, and a stern talking to to the mom can embarrass her enough to start doing something. Or do what I do, and just make funny faces at the kid... they usually start laughing.

Or smuggle a stick of midazolam onto the plane, and poke the little brat with it when mom's not looking.

• 4 weeks later...
lol, yes that might be the reason. I don't know if I would pay extra for crying babies since I can usually try and tune them out but would probably pay more to get away from really badly-behaved kids. I took a flight once and as usual I was stuck in the baby-sitting section of the plane. The mom was on the aisle seat with her toddler, her daughter was in the middle next to me. The daughter spent the first 2 hours of the flight with her feet on my arm-rest, literally kicking it at one minutes intervals. I kept waiting for the mom to give a smackdown but instead she would say in the sweetest voice "Oh honey, please don't do that to the nice lady." Of course the kid just ignored her. I don't mind kids who cry/act a bit naughty if the parent is obviously embarrassed and trying their best but not when parents let their kids act like total jerks! I was really patient until the girl spilled her ENTIRE can of tomato juice on my pants and shoes. Would have definitely paid more to have been far, far away from them!

Lol, this it isn't just the mother's fault, it is yours too. You should have been more assertive. Do you really want to admit that as an adult you can not prevent a toddler from taking your armrest? If something belongs to you, don't let someone else take it from you, especially not a toddler.

This is like people who complain about how larger people will lean over the armrest into their side. Are you really so submissive that you can not defend that which you have a right to?

Children listen to discipline and can tell when they can get away with things. Really the only ones you can't complain about is babies, as they don't know better. Sure it might not be your responsibility, but that doesn't mean you have to wait for the parent to discipline their children when they are harassing you, or taking your stuff/space.

Oh and btw I don't believe in physically punishing children unless absolutely necessary. Of the 4 child I have helped raised while dating various women, and my big sis' toddler I haven't had a child not listen to me yet. They can tell that when I say no I mean it, and that continuing to do it will get them punished. You have to be stern not harsh.

It is adults who you really should take offense to. They know and understand society's rules, and should be able to discipline themselves. I would pay alot not to have to travel on a plane with drinkers who can't hold their booze, or overweight individuals. One is obnoxious, the other seems to think they have the right to demand some of my personal space on the plane because they can't be disciplined enough to stay in shape. Also if you are going to get on a plane, make sure you shower before and use deodorant.

Flying, despite the expense and security associated with it, is public transit. Everyone around you paid several hundred dollars to get crammed into an airborne tube to go somewhere. Live with it, or pony up the dough for the expensive seats. There are probably fewer unbearable people up there.

There really ought to be a door...

My trick is to fly at off-peak times. Nary a child to be seen at 3am, short check in lines, and a 3/4 empty plane so you can have a whole row to yourself. It's magic.

I'm not ageist either. I have a 14 month that doesn't travel by plane for all the reasons mentioned above. She'd probably be bratty and embarass us, so we either drive wherever we're going or just don't go. IMO, my kid shouldn't be anyone elses problem.

My trick is to fly at off-peak times. Nary a child to be seen at 3am, short check in lines, and a 3/4 empty plane so you can have a whole row to yourself. It's magic.

I'm not ageist either. I have a 14 month that doesn't travel by plane for all the reasons mentioned above. She'd probably be bratty and embarass us, so we either drive wherever we're going or just don't go. IMO, my kid shouldn't be anyone elses problem.

I thought you people were a myth.

Nope, we're quite real. We don't bring her to restaurants any later then 4 pm either, just in case she gets tired and fussy. Ditto for the grocery store if she's having a crabby day.

I can see how we seem like we're myths but that's just because we're the ones being considerate by keeping our cranky toddlers at home.

IMO kids shouldn't be allowed in confined spaces until they're 12. There should be a such thing as adults-only flights. I cannot STAND lazy useless parents or their ****ty brats.

How to prevent ****ty useless parents:

Mandatory vasectomies at birth. Think of it as a vaccination against bratty children. Should you be deemed suitable to raise one or more youngsters, your vasectomy will be reversed.

I know that obviously wasn't serious but thought I'd point something out. While you can anatomically reverse a vasectomy at almost any time, the chances of it working drop rapidly after 5 yrs. post vasectomy. By the 10 years mark, it's not even worth trying anymore as the chances of the guy regaining fertility are essentially zero.

We'd have to perfect a new vasectomy procedure in order for your plan to work.

Nope, we're quite real. We don't bring her to restaurants any later then 4 pm either, just in case she gets tired and fussy. Ditto for the grocery store if she's having a crabby day.

I can see how we seem like we're myths but that's just because we're the ones being considerate by keeping our cranky toddlers at home.

IMO kids shouldn't be allowed in confined spaces until they're 12. There should be a such thing as adults-only flights. I cannot STAND lazy useless parents or their ****ty brats.

Or you could always try and socialize your kids so they dont act up the second their schedule is disrupted. I travel with my kids (1 and 3) all the time and they dont scream or kick seats or vomit or any of the other above mentionned behaviors. Some parents are lazy. Some parents are stupid. Some choose to take the easy way and not bring their kids along. I chose to work my kids life around mine (and not the other way around) and so far it has worked great. Giving your kids social skills isn't a bad thing

Archived