Premed 101 Forums

Girls - what to wear for interviews?

biogirl_85

Sorry if this was discussed earlier (I lose track of the posts quite easily)

How important is it for girls to wear either a suit jacket or a blazer? I'm asking because the current outfit I have in mind consists of a light, pinstriped blouse and a high-waist pencil skirt that goes down to the knees. I do have another 'formal' skirt suit set, but I personally prefer the blouse+skirt combo.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if this was discussed earlier (I lose track of the posts quite easily)

How important is it for girls to wear either a suit jacket or a blazer? I'm asking because the current outfit I have in mind consists of a light, pinstriped blouse and a high-waist pencil skirt that goes down to the knees. I do have another 'formal' skirt suit set, but I personally prefer the blouse+skirt combo.

Ballad, last year I interviewed at the U of A and was the ONLY girl without the "power jacket". Even my group leader commented that I was the only one to go without. It made me a bit uncomfortable to stand out so strongly, and for her to say I didn't have a "power jacket". This year, I interviewed at U of C and there were tons of girls wearing blouses with sweater vests, etc. I wore a jacket, and felt better prepared/better dressed. As they say, you can never be overdressed with business attire!

While we're on the topic of fashion advice (sorry, I don't post much, but I creep a lot)...

I cannot get the jackets that come with women's suits to fit - I am large chested for a fairly thin woman (32 DD). I don't want to flaunt them at all, any fashion advice? I was thinking a brightly coloured blouse or top and black slacks (I hate wearing formal skirts).

While we're on the topic of fashion advice (sorry, I don't post much, but I creep a lot)...

I cannot get the jackets that come with women's suits to fit - I am large chested for a fairly thin woman (32 DD). I don't want to flaunt them at all, any fashion advice? I was thinking a brightly coloured blouse or top and black slacks (I hate wearing formal skirts).

I have this same problem, good luck finding a 0 bottom to match an 8 top. I took a brown pinstripe skirt I had at home already and found a solid brown blazer which matches. Underneath I'm wearing a jewel-toned blouse. Colour near the face brings the eyes up and away from your chest, and a good blazer (three buttons) helps hold everything in place.

don't think tailors can alter shoulders on jackets. so don't get a jacket that's too big and try to have the shoulders shrunken.

tons of stores will let you mix and match suit jackets and pants. my jacket is 2 sizes bigger than the pants (i have man hips). try Mexx, Esprit, RW&Co, BananaRepublic... don't go to Bay, Sears and such department stores because their suits usually come in sets.

So I think I've picked out my outfit, but now I'm debating the final touches on my outfit. What do you guys think about jewelry? I am a jewelry designer and usually don't leave the house without something that sparkles or dangles. Since I may mention my business in my interview I want to make sure that I am wearing my jewelry. I am little torn because I would like to wear something that I am proud of making, but I don't want to look like Elizabeth Taylor or anything walking into the interview.

On another note, a doctor once told me that I should die my hair dark for my interview. Something about how people just can't take blondes seriously or something. I was deeply offended!

Hahaha does anyone else feel that they look like a 12 yr old boy in their pants suit?!!! Maybe because I'm 5 feet tall and it covers every much loved curve that i have....hmmmm....

suggestions?

that's really funny, i chose my dress suit based on the fact that it gives me the illusion of curves that i otherwise don't have! lol

no suggestions for you here, sorry. accessories and some superb shoes will make you feel great ;)

Fast-forward to 3:35 for some clothing tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJq-iJxDCf0&feature=channel_page

although i do agree that the obvious stripes need to go (they are more for clubbing for guys), i'm sure that entire video is just a joke.

don't listen to the "black suit" advice. black isn't a great colour for suits. black is for funerals and tuxedos. charcoal or gray are better (for the looks and for hiding lint). oh and don't pair white with black because that = waiter/limo driver. (if i had a choice, i'd get a charcoal suit).

i feel uber old in my suit.

hahaha thanks for the suggestions!

I've decided to wear a pretty headband (to keep my hair out of my face) but leave my hair loose and feminine lol!

That way, they cant mistake me for a 12 yr old boy lol ;)

that's such a great idea!! (stylish and practical=B)

I have a question about bags --> what kind of purses are you guys bringing to the interview? Normally I'd associate suits with portfolios..which we don't have in this case, but I almost feel that a normal shoulder purse is too informal=S

We weren't allowed to bring anything that wasn't attached to our body (ie: clothing) with us to the MMI.

But what about people who are driving themselves and need to leave their keys somewhere? And what about my lipgloss? And my lint roller? AAAHAHHH!! Oh well I guess everything must be disposable.

Oooooh better idea, I'll leave everything in my lab at HSC. Awesome. The first time being a researcher has been useful for anything of real-world value!

But what about people who are driving themselves and need to leave their keys somewhere? And what about my lipgloss? And my lint roller? AAAHAHHH!! Oh well I guess everything must be disposable.

key in pocket, lipgloss in pocket. stick a few strips of scotch tape on the inside of your jacket. when you need to remove lint, just use some of that tape. :P

I had an interview and wore a charcoal pinstriped skirt suit (smart set 100$), white dress shirt, pretty black heels with a bow on them and pearl earrings and a small black purse and did not get in.

I wore the same suit this year to three interviews with a teal dress shirt that brings out my eyes and so far got accepted to 2/3, waiting on the third. Also, for all three of these I brought a massive purse!!! that fits my computer. I wore my hair down for 2/3 and up for one, it was a rainy day.

Out of all these interviews every girl wore a full suit, probably half/half on the pant vs. skirt issue. Only one girl wore a blouse tucked into high-waisted pants and she looked a little out of place.

I don't think they care much about the purse as long as your interview goes well!! I even made a joke about how I carry my life in there at one and the guy laughed.

HAHAHA, oh dear. You must be one of those "big purse" girls :P haha. Lint roller. BE BRAVE. I have a friend who goes everywhere with tide-to-go. I use spit. I must be a guy, deep deep down inside. HAHAHA. (I'm laughing my eyeballs out)...

Just use a long lasting lipgloss so you don't need to refresh it :)

I *am* a big purse girl. And I love it! All my school stuff (notes, the occasional textbook) fits in there, and I always have everything I need. Yesterday I decided not to take my big purse to the salon with me, but I had such a hard time fitting everything in this little itty bitty purse. And then at lunch I wished I had my big purse because I didn't have my Purell with me. :(

hahaha i used to be a small purse girl but now im a big purse girl due to my tiny chihuahua who keeps me company lol :)

Im thinking of bringing a portfolio cover or something somewhat professional looking to hold all my things in (keys, id, lipchap, etc)

Last night I went through a whole bunch of shirts to wear under my new skirt-suit. I'm not happy with anything!

I'm leaning towards a plain white collared shirt that I have - the only problem is it's short-sleeved, and maybe boring.

I also have a short-sleeved red silk collared shirt. I think it could help me stand out, but I have reservations about the small 2-inch ruffles it has along the buttons. Any opinions?

I still don't have adequate shoes or purse though. It's so hard being a girl!!

Saw some weird attire at my interviews. Things I personally wouldn't risk wearing. I'm not even gonna talk about the guy in jeans, lumberjack shirt, and a vest...:eek: But a fair # of ladies wore a skirt and a J-crew style tee. Not appropriate for an interview, IMO. If there had been a blazer over it - ok, or even if it were a button-down shirt instead, but a tee that I often wear to the gym would be a no-no, I think. I wore slacks and a solid-color crewneck sweater and I still decided to wear a button-down underneath so the collar showed.

What are thoughts on pairing a black skirt show with bright coloured pumps?? I've been watching "What Not to Wear" and they're often wearing bright shoes. Would it be tacky to wear bold shoes with my black suit and whatever colour top I find to go with my bold shoes?? I'm mainly asking because my favourite black shoes encountered a horrible mutilation today due to some grating and instead of going out to find a replica I'd love to go buy something fun and eye catching.

Thoughts??

Archived