Premed 101 Forums

Girls - what to wear for interviews?

biogirl_85

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I came across this outfit, what do you guys think?

I'm thinking of going for something similar, perhaps with a more colourful (emerald) top and close-toed shoes.

Would that be too casual?

outfitpf4.jpg

definitely not the mullet.

the cardigan doesn't look professional. it's too drape-y and all over the place.

longer skirt (knee-length or longer), and don't forget clear stockings.

Okay. I HAVE A MULLET. Why?

Because the stupid hair stylist was like, "I think bangs would look cute on you." ... okay. "I think if we put in layers and have your hair shorter it would look nice too."

And I'm of the opinion, "Hell, I'm not going to tell you how to do your job." So, I took off my glasses (I am as blind as a bat) and let her do her job.

Well, I didn't think she'd do bangs AND a layered short thing. SO NOW I HAVE A MULLET.

girl, you need to ditch your hair dresser!!

they are just too 80s (the part of the 80s that's not coming back, unlike the tight pants and leggins):

Mulletman.jpg

oh and i'm a bit against pin striped suits on women. pin striped suits were initially made only for men. they just make you look so masculine, unless the pin stripes are very subtle and looks solid from a distance.

and i'm also against very light-coloured outfits for the winter. NOOOO WHITE OR BEIGE SUIT in February (same goes for pants if you are not just wearing that with a shirt). most professionals uphold this fashion rule (unless they live in miami. just think about CSI. the NY and Vegas cops don't wear white or beige suits usually. the Miami ones are mostly in white/beige suits). oh and if you are wearing a light coloured suit in the summer, make sure it's cotton or linen. wool or wool look-alike just don't work with these colours (this is also a rule).

another rule: everyone should match their sock colour with that of their pants. dark pants --> dark socks. NOOOOOO WHITE SOCKS!

one more rule: anything that dangles or looks too long/drapey can give off a sloppy vibe. make sure your sleeves and pants are not too long!

some outfits which i think are good:

http://www.rw-co.com/collection/details.cfm?id=420 (maybe no weird chest pockets on the blazer; they remind me of a fishing jacket. no wide belt either. the classical pencil skirt look should not be cut across by a wide belt; maybe a skinny belt but it has no point. the skirt is a bit short, but if you are significantly shorter than those 6 feet tall mannequins, the skirt would look knee-length on your)

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=5017&oid=OUT14289 (the hooker-like shoes have to go. the blazer sleeves probably shouldn't be rolled up. and i'd go for a brighter shirt.)

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Jones-New-York-Womens-3-piece-Black-Multi-Suit/3512275/product.html?sec_iid=33964 (i'd go for a bright shirt).

haha truffle you crack me up! i do however fully disagree :)

I personally plan to wear a beige or whitesuite, in the middle of winter, in ottawa lol...haha yes im brave! :)

i think it is personal preference as to what you wear...as long as u look professional, mature and feel comfortable in your outfit.

So far I have spoken to numerous med students, interview committee members and current faculty members who all say the same thing...stop stressing about the small details...its your confidence, your personality and your professional appearance that shines through, not the colour or fabric or style of your clothing :) Obviously dont go in wearing a bright pink suite from the 70s lol!

I love the pants suit and skirt ideas...i dont think you can go wrong! Be classy, mature and feel like a million bucks in your outfit and you will act it!

good luck everyone! and cheers to all the outfit talk, i cant get enough of the mullet talk lol!

hahaha :) i do have to say, i love the sound of your outfit..black professional suit with pale yellow is a nice touch...and im guessing you feel like a million bucks ;)

im leaning more towards a pants suit than skirt...im so afraid that i am randomly going to forget to cross my legs and have a britney moment...oh goodness...instant decline to med school lol

hahaha :) i do have to say, i love the sound of your outfit..black professional suite with pale yellow is a nice touch...and im guessing you feel like a million buck ;)

im leaning more towards a pants suit or skirt...im so afraid that i am randomly going to forget to cross my legs and have a britney moment...oh goodness...instant decline to med school lol

hahaha nice, i'd accept you ;)

aranndil, you are my hero!

do NOT get eyeliner tattooed to your face! you'll have to redo it every few years because black turns into green with time. and it'll look like spider legs 50 years down the road!

oh yeah i use mineral makeup too because i can't stand the fuss of the liquid stuff.

Okay. Hair update. I slept on my face or something. My hair is ****ty today. It's like a terrible mullet with a flat top. Ugh. I'm going to shave my head now.

Hey, just raise some money and shave it to support a cure for cancer, and you'll have done a mitzvah AND gotten rid of the mullet! :P

My mom's shaved it twice to raise money for breast cancer and it actually looks beautiful on her when it's about 2 inches long...who woulda thunkkit? :)

"You also write that a woman's financial and educational gains should "never be bigger than the relationship with the man."

*sob* but the guy I like will never make as much as a doctor... damn it.

Groan I hate books like that - some comedian does a bunch of hand waving and suddenly they are some profound relationship expert and have an amazing insight into the human psych.

Please.....

Frankly I find books like this to be insulting to BOTH sexes. For men it makes us out to be uni-dimensional, shallow, and most irritatingly stupid.

for those still looking for interview clothes...if you live in a city with a Bay store, go check out their dress suits. They have a number of them on clearance right now or with some discount, 2 or 3 piece sets for under $100. Some styles are kind of dowdy but they have some nice trendy ones as well.

I've already gotten the haircut, today got the nails (feels really odd to wear these...but i am a nailbiter so i have no choice!), and like truffle i am also wearing my interview shoes around the house to get used to them before the big day!

I think as long as you wear something comfortable and 'conservative professional' then you will not worry about your clothes but will be able to shine during the moment.

I have to agree with most of what's been said so far... classy, trim, and comfortable! I recently had an interview at UBC and am a First Nations applicant, so I had two interviews over two days (and hence obviously needed two outfits!).

The first day, at the MMI interview, I wore a suit jacket, skirt (just above knee length, both from Mexx), blue top, and stilettos. While I am fairly comfortable in the stilettos, the skirt was just that tad bit too tight so I felt like I was taking the tiniest steps! Really distracting when you're walking from room to room. May sure you try walking, ideally in the shoes you will have on, while you try stuff on in the store! Needless to say I won't be wearing this outfit for subsequent interviews :P

Second day was a HUGE improvement... not only did I stand out just that little bit but I was way more comfortable. I matched the same suit jacket with an A-line skirt... black and white patterned (think kind of blotchy branches). I also wore dressy 'almost' flats. The difference in confidence was amazing! I just hope I made up for any distraction I had in the first interview with my confidence in the second. Definitely sticking with this outfit for other interviews!

Side note: Also agree with the hair back, clean nails trend (although I didn't have a manicure, just tidied them up myself)

Suzy Sheer, Dynamite, Fairweather, RW & CO and Smart Set also have some new suit sets in and they are well priced!

I got my pants suit set for $40; alterations were about twice that amount so all together it was around $100.

Plus the sizes are really good so you most likely wont have to alter...the only reason why i had to alter is because im 5 feet size 0 so nothing fits right lol

oops i lied....$50 with tax :)

awesome prices for outfits. i looked at the stores you suggested but unfortunately cannot button up the jackets:rolleyes: ...last thing i want is to be at the interview looking like and feeling like a stuffed sausage.

aranndil: thanks for the gold star! :D

another general question: glasses or no glasses?

I wear mine to drive at night and to see extreme detail at distance, but do not need them otherwise. Sometimes I wear them just because I like them, but it's a different look. I will not be blind without them (unless the interviews take place in long dark hallways), so ability to see isn't really a consideration.

Guys have it so much easier! Buy a well fit suit and shoes plus a couple different shirts/ties and you take care of multiple looks.

do you guys think it is really necessary for girls' hair to be tied back (if it's long)

I was gonna ask the same question!

I have long (waist length) straight hair. I usually leave it down and I guess that's how I'm most comfortable. Usually, if I tie my hair back, my head ends up hurting ... At the same time however, I've had friends tell me that leaving your hair down looks 'unprofessional'. Sooo ... I guess my question is - What's your advice? Is it unprofessional? :confused: :confused:

Thank you! :)

Hmmm...I was also contemplating glasses/no glasses as Ive been told I look "smarter" in glasses (lol, or maybe thats ppls way of telling me I look like an airhead naturally lol, lets hope not!), but then I thought about what I feel most comfortable in, and its no glasses. So my suggestion would be, dress and look as close to the real you as possible! If you feel comfortable, its likely that you'll be more comfortable in the interview.

As for hair, for interviews I have heard (from everyone possible) that its better to keep your hair out of your face...so if you have long hair and never wear it back (my situation) I'd suggest doing a half up half down look or wearing a stylish clip/headband that keeps your face clear and visual.

Hope that helps! My interview is in one week, agghhhh lol! Good luck everyone :)

Black dress shoes + black dress pants + white collared shirt with a purple V-neck sweater over it.

Also light makeup, glasses, long hair pulled straight and left down (it goes to ma shoulder blades), and pearl earrings.

Last minute decision: I wore glasses because I thought it would make me look smarter :D

Archived