Premed 101 Forums

Girls - what to wear for interviews?

biogirl_85

What are thoughts on pairing a black skirt show with bright coloured pumps?? I've been watching "What Not to Wear" and they're often wearing bright shoes. Would it be tacky to wear bold shoes with my black suit and whatever colour top I find to go with my bold shoes?? I'm mainly asking because my favourite black shoes encountered a horrible mutilation today due to some grating and instead of going out to find a replica I'd love to go buy something fun and eye catching.

Thoughts??

I don't know if I'd go with something like bright red stillettos... Actually, bright coloured shoes may be risky if they're not conservative enough in style.

But on the other hand, if you're comfortable in it, you should go for it! :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about a white suit with black pinstripes? I found an amazingly sharp looking white suit, but I don't know if white would be too out there? Any thoguhts?

That sounds a bit too much for march. :-/

Maybe if you could pair the white jacket with black or grey bottoms...

So my first foray into H &M to try to find A) a blouse and B) a jacket top ended in disaster. I discovered to my great delight when I got home that H & M has curved mirrors, whcih make you look taller and thinner. Thus the shirt that I thought made my breasts looked little really didn't. And the extra fabric around my waist, really is a lot more than a little bit of room.

To summarize, the blouse I bought is too big around the waist and still pulls at the top buttons. The jacket I bought is OK (it only has one button, at the waist, and none at the top), but I have nothing to wear underneath it.

Does anyone have any suggestions not involving button-up tops of things to wear? I now have black pants and a jacket to wear with them...

I just went around to a whole bunch of stores with the jacket I was wearing for the interview, and tried on everything that might work. Eventually I found something perfect. It's a sleeveless cream top with a little bit of detail at the neckline. If you're going to a store with good staff, you can often show them the jacket and ask for suggestions of what to wear underneath, which is what I did.

shadowplay...

switcheroo made the perfect suggestion. go with something thin (not see through) that has a decent neckline under your blazer. I have two cotton tops (one is a tank, the other tshirt) but it has a nicely finished edging on the neckline than most everyday tees and they seem to do the trick. no worries about buttons popping, extra material, etc! Better yet, you'll have more use for them after the interview than a button down shirt! I do not find personally that the look is too casual with a dress suit but maybe that is just me.

I also second the suggestion of taking along the blazer with you. Check out places like BR, SmartSet, Reitmans, Gap...good luck!

Guest rpuff

Agreed. I wore a jersey-like cami underneath my suit to make sure I wasn't too hot and it was appropriate. Make sure the neckline isn't too low and you're good!

Quick fashion question (since I am fashion illiterate!):

Is it better to wear a solid black suit jacket with:

1) A pair of black pants with a subtle pinstripe

or 2) A pair of dark grey (charcoal) pants

???

I can't find a solid black that matches the jacket, so I am trying to figure out which mix will make me look like less of a tool :rolleyes:

If it were me, I would try to find something a little more different than the two pant selections you've listed. A nice medium grey would work well, I think. If you wear something too close to black, it looks like you couldn't find something to match; if you wear something different enough, it starts to look like this is a fashion choice you've made.

If it were me, I would try to find something a little more different than the two pant selections you've listed. A nice medium grey would work well, I think. If you wear something too close to black, it looks like you couldn't find something to match; if you wear something different enough, it starts to look like this is a fashion choice you've made.

thumbs up for this answer! :)

it is a good season to go looking for lighter colours since spring stuff is already in stores.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
shadowplay...

switcheroo made the perfect suggestion. go with something thin (not see through) that has a decent neckline under your blazer. I have two cotton tops (one is a tank, the other tshirt) but it has a nicely finished edging on the neckline than most everyday tees and they seem to do the trick. no worries about buttons popping, extra material, etc! Better yet, you'll have more use for them after the interview than a button down shirt! I do not find personally that the look is too casual with a dress suit but maybe that is just me.

I also second the suggestion of taking along the blazer with you. Check out places like BR, SmartSet, Reitmans, Gap...good luck!

i'm missing something here...what's BR?

• 2 months later...
Hey girls, just wondering, does it look too casual to leave a blouse untucked? Also, I've never been big on purses, and wasn't thinking of bringing one in with me...is there really anything I'd need that requires bringing a purse?

I didn't bring a purse. I just stuck my wallet in my back pocket. Like a guy.

Archived