Premed 101 Forums

MMI prep useless?

medisforme

Reiter, et al (2006)."The effect of defined security violations on admissions outcomes using multiple mini-interviews". Medical Education, 40:1., preparing for MMI questions does not increase your ability to do well, even if you know the actual questions in advance.

Sheesh that's a bit scary. Check out the whole article if your interested. Though I can see the reasoning, MMI questions are very spontaneous and require one to think on their feet. Those who are naturally gifted at interacting with others and communicating thier views will likely do better than those who do not, regardless of how much practice one does.

(I have my first MMI ever, on March 1, so maybe now I will not do anymore practicing, who knows).

The point of that article was that knowing the MMI questions in advance doesn't affect performance, not that preparation in general doesn't help. So people should definitely still continue their prep work (reading ethics books/articles, paying attention to world events, learning about our healthcare system, etc.). It just means there's no reason for all of us to be freaking out wishing we knew what the questions would be, since it likely won't make a difference.

Also, note that citation 23 in that article is for premed101 lol

The point of that article was that knowing the MMI questions in advance doesn't affect performance, not that preparation in general doesn't help. So people should definitely still continue their prep work (reading ethics books/articles, paying attention to world events, learning about our healthcare system, etc.). It just means there's no reason for all of us to be freaking out wishing we knew what the questions would be, since it likely won't make a difference.

Also, note that citation 23 in that article is for premed101 lol

Exactly! This article is in my mind a positive thing for exactly this reason. It demonstrates the test is "cheat prove".

Archived