Premed 101 Forums

MMI Interviews

It was more that he was asking what I would do in hypothetical situations, which were somewhat personalized (based on my essays). Also, not everyone has the same interviewer, so I'd imagine not everyone had the same experience I had.

my interviewer tested me quite a bit on my personal essays. really pushed for specifics. but he still seemed reasonable and a comfortable person to talk to. It was still pretty conversational. but yeah just be ready to go into a bit of depth regarding all the stuff in your essays.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why don't we just ask OOPs how many they had per day??

ontariostudent, and champion_forever:

did you guys have two interview sessions: AM and PM?

how many groups did they divide you guys into at your session?

how many people were in each group?

i think it's much different...i believe they interview like <50 for OOPs to accept <10 and so the rate/day may be different

The role playing is very well done. If the situation is one in which you would normally stand, they will have you stand. If it's one in which you would normally sit, they will have you sit. They will never FORCE you to sit, but there will often be a chair and the other person will be sitting. I believe I was sitting in all but one case, and standing would have been weird.

• 3 months later...

Hi ontariosudent. I was wondering who is the author of the book "Doing Right" that you read for your MMI interview? I found two books with the same title but different authors.

A few people have sent me messages asking for more info about the McGill MMI, so I decided to post a bit about it here.

The only preparation I did was reading "Doing Right", which is a very readable book about medical ethics. It is written by a U of T professor who works at Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto. Each chapter deals with a different facet of medical ethics, and it uses real cases to illustrate the points, so you know what really happened and what should have happened. I don't think you HAVE to read an ethics book, but I felt more comfortable dealing with the MMI questions after having some background. I didn't really get any stations that had explicit questions about ethics, but most of them had some sort of dilemma that involved moral/ethical issues. I definitely applied what I read to the situations I was in.

The MMI does not require any specific knowledge of any topic. I think you just have to be comfortable thinking on your feet and dealing with potentially difficult situations. The actors will play devil's advocate so you have to be prepared to argue your opinions.

I will not tell you to "be yourself". The MMI requires you to put yourself in many scenarios that you would never normally be in. I guess you should deal with them how you would normally deal with them, but sometimes you just have to think- what's the RIGHT thing to do and not "what would I normally do?"

I can't tell you what made me successful, since I just acted in the way that was natural to me. I think the most important thing is that you have to be ready to jump into whatever scenario you get and fight for whatever your answer is. You have to seem comfortable even if you're not, and stay calm and confident no matter what happens.

As for the format of the interview- The OOPs and international students had 10 stations. Each station starts with 2 minutes for you to read the situation/prompt, and then you get 8 minutes once you're inside the room (except at the traditional station, where you get 18 minutes). You will also get one rest station, which will last 10 minutes. You can sit down or go to the washroom. About half the stations had standardized actors, and the others (besides the traditional interview) had tasks. Oh, one more thing- all actor stations have someone watching you from behind a 1-way mirror. The actors do NOT evaluate you. If you can't see someone evaluating you, they are behind a one-way mirror.

Good luck!!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just to give you an idea of what you might encounter, I'm going to MAKE UP a sample task and actor station. I did not have either one of these at my interview.

Task: You are a project manager planning a fundraising event for a local charity that gives money to children with disabilities. Compose an email to a philanthropist explaining why he should donate money to your cause. Inside there will be a computer. Use it to compose an email, and someone will discuss it with you. No one will read the email.

Actor station: You and a friend are planning a trip to Africa. Your friend wants to visit some places that you consider dangerous, and you don't think it is worth risking your life to go to them. Your friend is waiting inside. Talk to him about why you don't want to go.

Also- McMaster has published some sample questions and the kind of answers they look for. Note that I don't think McGill uses any prompt questions where they just give you an ethics/current event issue and ask you to discuss. http://www.acupunctureprogram.com/articles/Manual_for_Interviewers_2006.pdf

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just something to do with the timing, did anyone practice keeping their answers within 8 minutes before they did the MMIs? Does it matter if you get cut off or is it preferable if you don't get cut off?

A lot of the stations will kind of go on indefinitely (there's a lot of role playing). Don't worry about too much about timing.

A lot of the stations will kind of go on indefinitely (there's a lot of role playing). Don't worry about too much about timing.

Hey ontariostudent, do you think reading up on the current events are useful for prepping the MMI interviews? I read somewhere that it's good for mac interviews, but I heard Mcgill's MMI is a bit different from mac.

Hey ontariostudent, do you think reading up on the current events are useful for prepping the MMI interviews? I read somewhere that it's good for mac interviews, but I heard Mcgill's MMI is a bit different from mac.

There was maybe one station (the traditional one) where they would possibly ask about current events. That being said, it never hurts to know what's going on in the world- it's good to have examples when you're backing up ideas or thoughts. I would definitely recommend that you read up on medical ethics (either in Doing Right or in the CMAJ ethics series).

Hey ontariostudent.. question for you.

Did you find that you used a lot of personal "life experience" examples in either the acting stations or otherwise? Were they useful, and how did the interviewer/actor respond when you used these?

Thanks!

MNG

I think a lot of what I ended up saying was made up on the spot. The role playing situations were very different from things I have done in real life, so I had no choice. Use whatever seems to fit and don't overanalyze the consequences. The MMI is really a test of how you think on your feet.

• 3 weeks later...

If you guys want to know more about ALL the process of selection, Med-P Class of 2014 is organizing a Conversation Coffee for you!

So we will be at least 20-30ish students over there, we've all been through MMI at McGill and last year's francophone one.

And, we will be selling a complete guide on MMIs and personal experiences over there!

I posted info in another post!

and here is the facebook page on the event!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=348640119664

cheers!

• 1 month later...

First off, thank you ontariostudent for doing this, I have a quick question for you.

For the the task stations, let's use the example you gave of writing an email to the philanthropist, although you're not graded on what you write, but do you need to finish it before the actor/ evaluator comes in and asks you questions? What if it took you 5 minutes to write the letter, then it only leaves you 3 questions for questions. ie. What if it took me 8 minutes to write the letter? Or can I simply signal that I've finished once i have a rough idea of what i want to write?

I had a math station where regardless of if I finished or not the person came in in 4 minutes and discussed the answers with me for the remaining 4 minutes. On the question I left blank he sort of asked me about the scribbles I had written and tried to elude what I was thinking and why I got stuck. In the end, I actually don't even think the answers mattered, I think he was grading me on how I explained my reasoning and thinking process AND my ability to communicate it to him once I was done. I suspect the same is true with the letter that some of my classmates had to write. Its probably all about how you discussed to the grader what you thought was important in the letter and why.

First off, thank you ontariostudent for doing this, I have a quick question for you.

For the the task stations, let's use the example you gave of writing an email to the philanthropist, although you're not graded on what you write, but do you need to finish it before the actor/ evaluator comes in and asks you questions? What if it took you 5 minutes to write the letter, then it only leaves you 3 questions for questions. ie. What if it took me 8 minutes to write the letter? Or can I simply signal that I've finished once i have a rough idea of what i want to write?

Sorry- Hope it's not too late for my response, I just saw this post now.

As dan said, they care more about your answers than what you wrote, so expect them to come in and speak to you at a predetermined point. Don't stress about it!

Thank you dan and ontariostudent for the quick response! I'm really just trying to get an idea of what MMI at McGill is like since I've only done 1 other MMI interview before and it is quite different- as in there are no acting or task stations, only discussion questions.

Thank you dan and ontariostudent for the quick response! I'm really just trying to get an idea of what MMI at McGill is like since I've only done 1 other MMI interview before and it is quite different- as in there are no acting or task stations, only discussion questions.

Don't worry- I had a lot of fun at McGill's interview. It was really a great experience. The other MMI I had was quite a disappointment, in comparison.

Archived