Premed 101 Forums

MMI Interviews

A few people have sent me messages asking for more info about the McGill MMI, so I decided to post a bit about it here.

The only preparation I did was reading "Doing Right", which is a very readable book about medical ethics. It is written by a U of T professor who works at Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto. Each chapter deals with a different facet of medical ethics, and it uses real cases to illustrate the points, so you know what really happened and what should have happened. I don't think you HAVE to read an ethics book, but I felt more comfortable dealing with the MMI questions after having some background. I didn't really get any stations that had explicit questions about ethics, but most of them had some sort of dilemma that involved moral/ethical issues. I definitely applied what I read to the situations I was in.

The MMI does not require any specific knowledge of any topic. I think you just have to be comfortable thinking on your feet and dealing with potentially difficult situations. The actors will play devil's advocate so you have to be prepared to argue your opinions.

I will not tell you to "be yourself". The MMI requires you to put yourself in many scenarios that you would never normally be in. I guess you should deal with them how you would normally deal with them, but sometimes you just have to think- what's the RIGHT thing to do and not "what would I normally do?"

I can't tell you what made me successful, since I just acted in the way that was natural to me. I think the most important thing is that you have to be ready to jump into whatever scenario you get and fight for whatever your answer is. You have to seem comfortable even if you're not, and stay calm and confident no matter what happens.

As for the format of the interview- The OOPs and international students had 10 stations. Each station starts with 2 minutes for you to read the situation/prompt, and then you get 8 minutes once you're inside the room (except at the traditional station, where you get 18 minutes). You will also get one rest station, which will last 10 minutes. You can sit down or go to the washroom. About half the stations had standardized actors, and the others (besides the traditional interview) had tasks. Oh, one more thing- all actor stations have someone watching you from behind a 1-way mirror. The actors do NOT evaluate you. If you can't see someone evaluating you, they are behind a one-way mirror.

Good luck!!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just to give you an idea of what you might encounter, I'm going to MAKE UP a sample task and actor station. I did not have either one of these at my interview.

Task: You are a project manager planning a fundraising event for a local charity that gives money to children with disabilities. Compose an email to a philanthropist explaining why he should donate money to your cause. Inside there will be a computer. Use it to compose an email, and someone will discuss it with you. No one will read the email.

Actor station: You and a friend are planning a trip to Africa. Your friend wants to visit some places that you consider dangerous, and you don't think it is worth risking your life to go to them. Your friend is waiting inside. Talk to him about why you don't want to go.

Also- McMaster has published some sample questions and the kind of answers they look for. Note that I don't think McGill uses any prompt questions where they just give you an ethics/current event issue and ask you to discuss. http://www.acupunctureprogram.com/articles/Manual_for_Interviewers_2006.pdf

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MMI was definitely a lot of fun. The actors ranged in age, depending on the role they played. Young people played young people, and older people played older people. They were definitely having a lot of fun, and I was actually very jealous of their jobs. I would love to be a standardized actor!

Hi again,

I've been getting a lot of private messages with questions about the MMI, but I would prefer if you post your questions here, as I want to give everyone access to the same information. Also, if you PM me I'm more likely to miss out on answering your questions.

I did not actually prepare for the MMI other than reading "Doing Right". I am good at improvising and thinking on my feet, and I think that practicing might actually have been detrimental for me. The answers you practice aren't necessarily going to correspond with the situations you'll have, and if you try to remember how you dealt with a situation in the past you might lose focus on what you're actually dealing with. If you're not good at thinking on your feet I guess it's useful to have people throw random scenarios at you and give you a time limit, so that you get used to coming up with things to say under pressure. Have a parent or older person do it instead of a peer, so you have more pressure. I really think that is the only thing that would help, and it would only be useful if you get flustered when you're under pressure.

I had 1 actor station where I felt like I ran out of things to say after about 5 minutes. The actor kept saying the same thing over and over again, and I just kept reiterating my position in different words. I guess there's really no situation where you'd completely run out of things to say before time is up. I always got cut off. If you find that you have run out of things to say, try to come up with more arguments for whatever you are saying, or just reiterate it.

Something important that I wish I had known before my interview- you can't bring ANYTHING in with you (except if you have a medical reason or something, I guess). When you come in you will put everything you have (except ID) into a locker. You will not come back to the locker for a few hours. At my interview they put us in a room with food and drinks. We sat at tables and just talked to each other until everyone was there. They gave out decks of cards for us to play with. Once everyone was there they talked to us about the interview day and said a bit about the school. We were split into two groups (based on our name tags they gave us) and half of us had our interviews while the other half sat around and had some information sessions about the school. The second group had their interview about 2 hours later (I think) while my group was having the info session. My group was allowed to leave once the afternoon interviewees were all in the pre-interview room (so we wouldn't meet as we were leaving and they were coming). I got there around 7:15 and left at 12:30. I think the second group probably left around 1:30. Also, there were refreshments in the post interview room also, so you don't have to worry about starving (unless you have dietary restrictions, in which case they would probably let you bring in your own stuff).

Don't be nervous. Just be confident and you should be able to deal with whatever situation arises. I'm not a nervous interviewee and I usually improvise well, and that's probably what helped me the most. I don't think there's any real practice to be done.

Anyway- if you have any more questions, let me know.

I guess it's because I brought some food with me and rushed to eat it before I went in (not knowing there was food inside) and I left my stuff with some people who lived nearby because I didn't know I'd have somewhere safe to put everything. I guess I just wouldn't have been as stressed beforehand if I had known.

I was wondering if the MMI has any stations that require you to know about current events or things happening around the world?

Beside actuality, medical knowledge would help ?

Ontariostudent, do they ask any questions in any of the stations where you have to give your opinion about a particular situation? Or area all the scenarios with actors or tasks that you have to do with other people.

Thanks a lot for your postings, they've been of great help!!!!!

The prompts are also inside the room, so don't worry about forgetting details! There was actually a room where I totally missed something from the prompt until I was inside and rereading it, but clearly it didn't matter too much :)

Also, there were 0 stations asking me questions. I think McMaster might give you some ethical situation and ask you to analyze/comment, but to my knowledge McGill won't do that (except in the formal interview, where ethics questions are fair game!!)- when they introduced the MMI they only mentioned actor stations and task stations. At task stations you will usually interact with the interviewer. At my interview I would have to perform some task and then the interviewer would talk to me about why I did it and how I did it. It wasn't completion of the task that mattered- they wanted to see your reasoning behind how you did it.

Anyway- don't worry!! It really was a fun interview!!

Beside actuality, medical knowledge would help ?

The role playing stations will involve a considerable amount of communication with the actors in which you might have to convince them of certain opinions that you may hold about the particular scenario, and so if you can use your knowledge of current events to boost your arguments, thats always helpful I think. I personally had that chance to use certain facts which I just knew to my advantage and I thought they added to my convincing skills.

A really simplistic example:

If you have to convince someone that smoking is bad, and you know that smoking causes lung cancer, that kind of knowledge can help.

The example above is pretty simplistic but I think you get the idea.

Out of curiosity, is the 20 min interview ALWAYS at the end; or is it simply another station, so it could be your 1st, 3th or what not depending on the order?

its simply a station, and could be your first or last or any where in between. It basically takes up the time for 2 of the other mmi stations and so you just stay in there for longer than the other ones.

There is one interviewer and he asked tough questions, but not so tough that it seemed like he was out to get me. I think he was sort of trying to push me to my limits but not in a bad way. The questions were tough, but he was friendly. I didn't leave with a bad feeling.

appreciate the info. if you don't mind me asking, was it that he put you in tough hypothetical situations and asked for your opinion, or more "give me an example when"...?

thanks again

Archived