Premed 101 Forums

The Cooking Corner

Hello Premed101ers,

As a nice little diversion, I thought maybe we could use this thread to talk about favorite recipes and foods! I must not be the only foodie out there, right??

Anyway I thought I'd kick this off with a super easy recipe that I tend to make a lot, especially when I'm studying as it's filling and delicious! This recipe is from the New York Times' Dining and Wine section (which is just fab by the way!)

DSCN2316-1.JPG

Roasted Broccoli With Shrimp

2 pounds broccoli, cut into bite-size florets

4 tablespoons ( 1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds

1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon hot chili powder

1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined

1 1/4 teaspoons lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)

Lemon wedges, for serving.

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss broccoli with 2 tablespoons oil, coriander, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and chili powder. In a separate bowl, combine shrimp, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

2. Spread broccoli in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Add shrimp to baking sheet and toss with broccoli. Roast, tossing once halfway through, until shrimp are just opaque and broccoli is tender and golden around edges, about 10 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges, or squeeze lemon juice all over shrimp and broccoli just before serving.

Yield: 4 servings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/dining/141arex.html?ref=dining

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't look appetizing but looks can be deceiving I guess. When I was cutting, all I was eating was chicken breast, broccoli, tuna, flax/olive oil, whey protein - effective, 30 lbs off in 2 months with 90% retention in gains. But that's why I cringe at the sight of broccoli.

I'm a Frenchie when it comes to food, butter that **** up (contradictory to previous sentence I know). Escargot is my favorite. I've been meaning to make a flourless chocolate cake in the past while...Haven't found the time because this ****ing MCAT.

I took a culinary arts course last term at George Brown. It was pretty fun, we had a four seasons chef that was more vulgar than me. Unfortunately the dishes were too basic. You catch winterlicious? I was too broke this time around, MCAT expenses and all lol.

No Winterlicious for me, I wasn't in the city at the right time but I'll definitely have to try it next year. My brother said he was seated in pretty much the 'basement' of the Rose Water Supper Club when he did Winterlicious!!! haha. I want to get a friend with an AMEX and try Canoe... it always fills up unless you have an AMEX card.

And trust me, the recipe was DELICIOUS!!! It may not look like much but its good for you and yummy!!! And wow at having the willpower to cut like that...I want to be super lean but its damn hard to eat like that!

That broccoli dish looks great to me! Broccoli and shrimp are my two favorite foods. I'm going to make that tomorrow.

Admittedly, when I was a bachelorette, I'd come home from school and cut up some chicken. Cook the pieces, add broccoli, dump in a can of mushroom soup and have it with noodles. It was mediocre at best, so kudos to you for actually cooking real food.

Despite the bodybuilding bender the appearance of food can throw me off...

Hmm yeah Winterlicious is just cheap season so I can't imagine service being stellar. Hahah they extended it this year, I guess the recession was eating into their profits. You NEED an Amex card to get into the upper tier restaurants, but not this winter. They'll have a summerlicious, I don't think the economy will recover by that quarter (or no 'true non-keynesian recovery in the next few years for that matter) so spots will be ripe for the taking.

Life's too short for ascetism, I've become a culinary hedonist recently, I just workout just to have enough muscle to shape up the fat lol.

Student lifestyle doesn't allow for gourmet meals. A good meal takes hours to cook which frankly isn't worth it economically speaking. I guess I should start watching Rachael Ray but even then...I think the 30 minute meal is grossly under estimated since some of her stuff seems pre-prepared. Cleanup isn't factored in either. I guess that's how I had the discipline to eat properly at that time. I quit that diet eventually because my brain was sick of ketone bodies but in all honesty with ketogenic diets, if you can make it past the first 2-3 weeks you're golden albeit a bit stupider.

I love cooking... I'm SO SICK of mac and cheese or Chef Boyardee every night... I did it in 2nd and 3rd year and I'm tired of it!!! In fact, I'm throwing my very first fancy dinner party this week, with appetizers, main and dessert and wine pairings :-) ooh la la! My whole student apartment is decorated in paintings of wine bottles lol, and my old haunt was the EGullet forum! :P

And I'm looking forward to Summerlicious, I've been meaning to try it for years.

Anyway, here's another of my favourite recipes. It IS time consuming but it makes for an AWESOME bowl of soup!!!! AND cooking a squash is super simple and it gave me an excuse to buy a new blender. Enjoy!

fc60is137.jpg

Butternut Squash Soup

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 35 mins

Makes: 6 servings

2 tbsp butter or soft margarine 30 mL

1 onion, coarsely chopped 1

1 carrot, diced 1

1 stalk celery, diced 1

1 clove garlic, minced 1 clove

1 butternut squash

4 cups Knorr Chicken Broth 1 L

1 large potato, diced 1

salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Cut butternut squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Preheat oven to 375° F. Brush insides and outsides of squash halves with vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper and place, cut sides down, on cookie sheet or in roasting pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until squash is tender. Scoop out innards of squash and throw away the skin.

In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 8-10 minutes.

Add butternut squash, Knorr Broth and potato. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 8 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly.

Purée soup in batches in blender or food processor. Pour back into the soup pot. Season to taste with with salt and pepper.

Tip

For a slightly more decadent soup, top with a dollop of whipped cream or swirl in some sour cream or creme fraiche.

http://www.homebasics.ca/viewrecipe.asp?recipeid=4817&search=1

Speaking of squash, I used to do a spaghetti squash once in a while. Preheat oven to 375-400F, stab some holes in the gourd, then dump it in the oven for 40 minutes. When it's done, scoop out the seeds, use a fork to spaghettify the insides, and serve with either a nice tomato sauce or a broccoli-alfredo type sauce. Should be able to feed one hungry student for two days.

For the love of God, remember to poke holes in the thing before you cook it. I forgot once and it took an hour to clean the stove. It sounded like an atom bomb went off in there.

Speaking of squash, I used to do a spaghetti squash once in a while. Preheat oven to 375-400F, stab some holes in the gourd, then dump it in the oven for 40 minutes. When it's done, scoop out the seeds, use a fork to spaghettify the insides, and serve with either a nice tomato sauce or a broccoli-alfredo type sauce. Should be able to feed one hungry student for two days.

For the love of God, remember to poke holes in the thing before you cook it. I forgot once and it took an hour to clean the stove. It sounded like an atom bomb went off in there.

I JUST made my first spaghetti squash last week!!! I loved it! It was super easy and fun to make and quite healthy too. And oh no about forgetting to puncture it lol, I always cut my squashes in half and roast face down just so that doesn't happen!! I know I would forget to poke holes in it!

http://www.cuisine-france.com/ - I've basically made Quiche Lorraine, Sole Meuniere, Risotto and Coq au Vin from there. I loved the quiche lorraine. As a student/bodybuilder I just learn to cook **** in bulk lol, fridge it and pick it apart during the week...Quiche is good for that. I think for French cooking, the more butter, the better LOL. They always seem to use a Mirapoix base (celery, onion, carrots). I never understood how the Mirapoix worked and haven't done a counterfactual test to determine it. (bad english, very tired)

I cook with measurements then adjust. I like accuracy. But I think I'm just a n00b.

http://www.cuisine-france.com/ - I've basically made Quiche Lorraine, Sole Meuniere, Risotto and Coq au Vin from there. I loved the quiche lorraine. As a student/bodybuilder I just learn to cook **** in bulk lol, fridge it and pick it apart during the week...Quiche is good for that. I think for French cooking, the more butter, the better LOL. They always seem to use a Mirapoix base (celery, onion, carrots). I never understood how the Mirapoix worked and haven't done a counterfactual test to determine it. (bad english, very tired)

I cook with measurements then adjust. I like accuracy. But I think I'm just a n00b.

Ooh what a fantastic site!!!!! I will definitely have to make something from it!

As another food related note, I've been trying to eat healthy and have been buying President's Choice Blue Menu items:

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodAndRecipes/HealthyLiving/AboutBlueMenu/DefaultAboutBlueMenu.aspx

They're not that bad at all... the frozen dinners are pretty good (although the salmon and grains could have been better), the little snack pouches like their Wheat Bran Bites (in banana bread flavor) are awesome and I LOVE their Fibre Plus cereal!!!!!

Here's a pic of one of their yummy frozen dinners:

1543.jpg

On a bad note though, I HATE their "Howaru" Probiotic yogurt; to quote Ralph Wiggum, "it tastes like burning!"

What's this blue menu theme?

Yeah I get Cajun too (Medit is kinda gross and Mandarin is beyond gross), I always wonder what that white rubbery stuff is but whatever. Fast food for me, I eat two of those things in a meal for protein. Convenient, don't have to marinate myself but at 18 bucks a box it'll break the bank. You're referring to the 8 chicken breast boxes right?

Just a caveat about that site. The stuff I cooked is listed on the site but they did it different. All those things I cooked were from my culinary arts course hahah. Damn this site is vague in some places and over the top (flambe'ing the coq au vin using the cognac/brandy on it). This site has the general idea, I guess, at least you get the names of the items hahah. I'm thinking of taking the second course but I'm too broke at the moment. Felt too much like following recipes though...

i like to make easy casseroles. i love the ease of a meal in one pan/pot.

here's a uber easy recipe for cheesy broccoli casserole:

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/cheesy-broccoli-casserole-91822.aspx

Wow. Stove Top, Cheez Whiz, and condensed soup. I'm getting the runs just thinking about it. (I'm sure it's delicious, but it seems so unappealing.)

A great magazine that can get you cooking decent stuff that's several steps above the overly-processed, Kraft-endorsed mush is Everyday Food. Go to www.everydayfoodmag.com—it'll redirect to a Martha Stewart site—and look through some of the stuff there. It's all super-easy to make and the recipes all work (which can't be said for a lot of cookbooks). You can pick up issues for $4 at most grocery stores.

Another must-have if you're a student is a slow-cooker. Seriously, go to Wal-Mart and drop $50 on a larger one. Do all your prep the night before, just throw it all into the pot in the morning, and you're treated to some really awesome flavours without trying. Stews, chili, soups, roasts, etc. are dead simple.

Also, learn how to make tomato sauce from scratch, then freeze portions of it in large zip-top bags. All you gotta do is boil water, thaw the sauce in the water, cook the pasta, and you're eating in 20 minutes.

What's this blue menu theme?

Yeah I get Cajun too (Medit is kinda gross and Mandarin is beyond gross), I always wonder what that white rubbery stuff is but whatever. Fast food for me, I eat two of those things in a meal for protein. Convenient, don't have to marinate myself but at 18 bucks a box it'll break the bank. You're referring to the 8 chicken breast boxes right?

It's certain president's choice products, they have a blue label on them and are generally much healthier food products. And yeah, I'm referring to the 8 chicken breast box... definitely breaks the bank. The cajun chicken is a "blue menu" thing too... if you look at the box, you'll see a blue label on the front! :)

It's certain president's choice products, they have a blue label on them and are generally much healthier food products. And yeah, I'm referring to the 8 chicken breast box... definitely breaks the bank. The cajun chicken is a "blue menu" thing too... if you look at the box, you'll see a blue label on the front! :)

Haven't bought it in awhile. I quit my fitness goals as soon as I had my testing battery and I can't rationalize the cost of that stuff without damaged cross-bridges lol. Of course it'll get blue ribbon though, chicken breast is the best way to lean out, may not be cholesterol friendly though, not that we should care...yet.

I think I can cordon blue these things but it defeats the whole point of why I buy them hahah. One way to cripple the French health care system is to take away their red wine...lol Funny how their national symbol keeps them alive, the recipes that come out of that country, my god.

Speaking of stuffing chicken, in my culinary arts class, we were stuffing pork so we had to cut cut a small slit (I hate doing this as we use these 10" blades that look like ****ing machetes) and stuff it with this gooey stuff. Some old woman just goes: 'So this is what an 18 year old boy must feel like!'. I just gave it to my parents after it was done. They loved it...I didn't want to touch it.

I'll bite. Because I love cooking, too! Photos are just a means to share the recipe...

2943335208_7bace2f8f9_b.jpg

Pan-Fried Lemon-Ricotta Gnocchi

1 cup whole milk ricotta

1/2 cup parmesan cheese (plus extra reserved for garnishing)

1 large egg yolk

1 teaspoon lemon zest (plus extra reserved for garnishing)

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup all purpose flour

1 tablespoon chopped parsley (plus extra reserved for garnishing)

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Combine ricotta, parmesan, yolk, zest, parsley and salt in large bowl. Mix well. Sprinkle half of the flour on the mixture, gently turn with spatula a few times to incorporate. Dump mixture on clean, lightly floured countertop. Sprinkle remaining flour on top of the mixture. Gently knead with your fingertips, just bringing together the mixture until flour is incorporated through. This only should take a minute or two. Any longer and you will be over-kneading. (If you are using skim milk ricotta - you may have to use more flour, as there is more water content in skim ricotta.)

2. Divide dough into 4 parts. Take one part and roll into a long, 1" diameter log. Cut gnocchi into 1" pieces.

3. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil. when butter is just lightly browned, add gnocchi in single layer. Fry on one side for 2 minutes, flip. Fry other side for 1-2 minutes. Timing really depends on how big/thick your gnocchi is. Do a taste test - do you taste flour? Not done yet. Serve with a sprinkling of lemon zest, parmesan and parsley.

Serves 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my first meatloaf ever (mostly due to a lack of food items at my house because I haven't been to the grocery in awhile) and this rocks! I wonder why it has such a bad rep?? Anyhoo here's a link to the recipe:

meatloaf.jpg

http://reviews.ebay.ca/Best-MEATLOAF-Ever-A-Family-Recipe_W0QQugidZ10000000002091489?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:1

and yes this recipe is randomly hosted on someone's Ebay page lol.

Crap, you have really good presentation for someone cooking for them self, I only go for presentation if it's for others.

I don't like meatloaf, referring to the rep - mixing breading in there just strikes me as/tastes odd. I never had a good one that was made well either, I had a kobe beef one (I didn't believe it was real) and it was still a bit off.

You'll impress me even more if you can find something to do with the dried squid ;).

Archived