Premed 101 Forums

What is your religion, if any?

n00b

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a my own thing. I don't really follow all the small details that some religions have ie: praying 5 times a day, or not eating meat on certain days of the week. I prefer to practice the things common to all religions: the idea that we should be the best we can be, to be honest, respect everyone regardless of who they are, and help those in need.

Kind of a my own thing. I don't really follow all the small details that some religions have ie: praying 5 times a day, or not eating meat on certain days of the week. I prefer to practice the things common to all religions: the idea that we should be the best we can be, to be honest, respect everyone regardless of who they are, and help those in need.

you're joking, right?

I think what you're referring to is things we have common morally in society. Religion is not the same thing. Here's an example. Close to 100 people who attend a church near my neighbourhood switched churches because the priest decided he would marry homosexuals.

Respecting everyone regardless of who they are is probably the most opposite uncommon practice in organized religions

edit: I think, in general, medicine and religious belief should be like oil and water

I thought religion was made obsolete by the advent of science?

It kind of amazes me that we have books that theoretically could have been written by just about anybody that enbodies outdated social conventions can be taken so seriously (where was the critical analysis). I wonder how many people have picked up their Bible and noticed the excessive violence and brutality over nothing. God doesn't believe in the concept of punishment fits the crime: http://www.evilbible.com/

The funny thing is when Christianity was first formed (as a political toy of Constantine) they had the Council of Nicea. Basically it was like 'ok ok guys we gotta get our stories straight and write this **** down to be credible'.

How many people read the Koran and saw the quotes about harming others simply because they are not religious or of another religion and simply disregarded them (or actually followed them! UK 2005/South Thailand/US 9/11/Bali): http://www.ethicalatheist.com/docs/islam_infidels.html

I think religion presents a net bad in humanity, it was a way for primitive chieftains back in the day to maintain subservience in their subjects (neolithic). During the Roman era it was abused to no end for political gain lol. Emperors would proclaim themselves Gods and open temples to their clemency (Caesar). Who would sacrifice their standard of living for someone else (i.e. Kings)?

Not only does religion not respect people, it promotes hate and intolerance against seemingly meaningless things (homosexuality):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2859606.ece

It divides people into believers and non-believers (what does it even matter anyway?). Do the believers know for a fact that there is a god? No. It's a primitive form of nationalism.

My stance is individual freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of expression (which is why I haven't stepped up to say that religion should be banned), unfortunately if religion had its way I probably wouldn't be given the same mercy (see Copernicus/Gallileo for even suggesting the world was round!!!). They would probably burn me at a stake for blashpheme, or decapitate me for stating fact and truth, it does not allow for freedom of speech or expression (if I ****ed a man in my own private property, what business is it of someone else? Is looting via tithes and killing (Crusade/Jihad) not a more heinous crime? The concept of afterlife presents a celestial dictatorship, where after I die, I am still a slave/subject to God in his 'King'dom. It kept serfs serfs in life, and even so in the afterlife. It's a primitive form of collectivism.

Religion is primitive and inherently evil in principle (seeks to subjugate man and society under a tyrant and obliterate those that follow another tyrant). How many wars in the past were caused by religion? How many wars today are caused by it? How much freedom was stripped away from man by a religiously backed tyrant(s)? Women's rights (even today)?

Anyway if anyone is so inclined to believe in this stuff, it's up to them, but it's best kept out of public affairs (separation of church and state). I take no issue with people practicing this stuff within the confines of their own home/community. I just can't understand it given the facts of history. If you've studied history or science I can't see how someone can be religious. But then again, there are scientologists lol.

Anyway I figured I should turn up the intellectual notch.

Just on a light note and for some funnies: http://www.economist.com/daily/chart...ry_id=13062613

Archived