Premed 101 Forums

successful interview

this is very subjective, but how do you define a successful/unsuccessful interview? (prior to may 15th that is). for those people that feel it went well, is it your quality of answers, length of answers, feedback from interviewers...etc.? and for those who didn't feel it went as well as they hoped, is that due to being stumped on certain questions, lack of preparedness, being too nervous? is it possible to still feel you did really well despite having an unreceptive interviewer? and has anyone received what they feel is exceptionally positive feedback from their interviewers?

• 1 month later...
Well, my idea of a successful interview is when you come home, go over the questions again and again and still have nothing else to add. That means you performed at your absolute best.

and what if you do feel that you have nothing to add but you don't think you came off as professional enough because you were nervous and anxious and not calm/collected/cool/relaxed enough?

we're usually our own worst critics...there's also no way for us to truly understand how you presented yourself or at least appeared to the interviewer. If you did practice interviews with your friends/ advisors ask them to give you feedback on your presentation and ask them to use three/ four words that best described the impression you gave...other than that its all up in the air...too many factors to look into.

I like Jochi's definition (also good choice of avatar change).

In terms of interviewer emotion or feedback, they are not allowed to give you any, although I would say this is not the case all the time. The interviewers are usually individuals of the community, students and professors not people who interview others on a regular basis.

and what if you do feel that you have nothing to add but you don't think you came off as professional enough because you were nervous and anxious and not calm/collected/cool/relaxed enough?

I wouldn't worry about this too much. You SHOULD be nervous, and they know it. I'm sure you'll have 1 or 2 people who are totally cool and calm, and it's great, but there will be SO few of them that it won't really matter if you're not. And if you were abnormally nervous (hyperventilating or something)...well, the interview's done now, but you know what to work on next year.

Like Microbiodude said, it's hard to get a good idea of how you came off in your interview. You will probably have a good guess of it if you did extremely poorly - had nothing to say for the question, bawled from nerves, threw up or something - but outside of that, you can only guess.

Whenever people ask me how my interview went, I always say that if I didn't throw up on anyone, it was a success! :P

You will probably have a good guess of it if you did extremely poorly - had nothing to say for the question, bawled from nerves, threw up or something - but outside of that, you can only guess.

Whenever people ask me how my interview went, I always say that if I didn't throw up on anyone, it was a success! :P

Lol, I felt it went well based on the fact that I didn't really mess up anything.

Mind you of course there were always going to be a few more points I wish I threw in there....

• 2 weeks later...

It is nearly impossible to know if your interview was 'good enough' since it really depends on the competition not just your own performance. I thought of a million things I could have added to my answers, but they aren't looking for a complete answer in only 7 minutes (UBC). I tended to focus more on giving logical answers, without stressing too much on what I forgot to say. Also, I think the delivery of the answer is perhaps more important that the actual words. I really practiced before the interview on giving good eye contact, interesting tone of voice, interesting flow of the discussion, etc. Basically I think the interview is about coming across as a normal, caring, interesting person, while uniquely yourself! It was also helpful to remember everyone was nervous, so as long as you didn't completely lose your cool it likely was okay!

• 1 month later...

Its difficult to know whether your interview was good enough, I always tend to dissect my answers over and over, plus a lot of people get nervous being surrounded by so many other qualified applicants. The only place that i I was sure I would get in after my interview was alberta, and thats because the last station is just a simple conversation.

• 2 months later...

The best part of interview is that when the interviewer is asking question and you have replied in such a manner that again he is asking you another question and when again you have replied and then he finally became silent and said that you are selected.so this is the best part of interview,when you have impressed everyone sitting there with your brilliant performance at first attempt.

The best part of interview is that when the interviewer is asking question and you have replied in such a manner that again he is asking you another question and when again you have replied and then he finally became silent and said that you are selected.so this is the best part of interview,when you have impressed everyone sitting there with your brilliant performance at first attempt.

b/c no interviewer will give the slightest indication of of being 'accepted' nor does the interviewer have the power in this rather complicated dance or process.

It's interesting to hear how other people gauge their performance. In my experience (1 on 1 interviews) a good interview meant the interviewer was having a great time. Even in the interviews where I felt I didn't say everything I should have said, or could have said things more clearly, if the interviewer was having a good time then I considered those successes. I think that's a fair assessment based on the feedback I've gotten. The interviewers that seemed to be having fun gave me some pretty amazing feedback. I had one or two socially awkward interviewers and it was difficult to get a comfortable conversation going. I felt that those interviews were my least successful even though my answers might have been better.

I would assume that MMIs can't be gauged this way since there isn't much time to build rapport with the interviewers. I would probably fail at MMIs. haha

If only "amazing feedback" meant acceptances. Unfortunately I don't know if interviewers have a whole lot of power. :confused:

ETA: Watch, I'm going to get denied at all the schools where I had fun, and get accepted at the socially awkward interviewer schools. :P Then you'll have to ignore my sage words f_d.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, this process has become so very complicated. On the flip side, we may be able to compensate for weakness - although interviews are or should be the most decisive factors. It is a flawed system as many a**h***s slip thru the system and become doctors, but there are lowlives everywhere, including on this forum.

Am I the only one confused as hell by this post? :confused:

Archived