Premed 101 Forums

Dating in Medical School

I just don't like bars in general. Neither do I care much for drinking...do it approximately 3 times a year.

lol you not liking them doesn't make them seedy, I might love you, but that doesn't mean there aren't people that don't like you, and they shouldn't talk bad about you.

I must admit that I am not at all surprised about this. I never took you for one who would be comfortable in that type of social atmosphere. I myself drink commonly, but only get drunk once or twice a year.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alcohol isn't worth the calories unless you're getting drunk IMO

actually some people actually like the taste of alcohol whether it be beer, liquor, or wine. Generally I have it with my food, (ie; wine at big family dinners, beer with my burger, whiskey with my steak) but I tend to have a beer or two at the end of my shift, if I am not cranky and want to socialize.

actually some people actually like the taste of alcohol whether it be beer, liquor, or wine. Generally I have it with my food, (ie; wine at big family dinners, beer with my burger, whiskey with my steak) but I tend to have a beer or two at the end of my shift, if I am not cranky and want to socialize.

I'm not saying it doesn't taste good. Margaritas are delicious. They're absolutely loaded with sugar and calories though, so unless I'm getting drunk I'd rather just drink water. I'll occasionally have a long island iced tea made with diet coke, I suppose.

I'm not saying it doesn't taste good. Margaritas are delicious. They're absolutely loaded with sugar and calories though, so unless I'm getting drunk I'd rather just drink water. I'll occasionally have a long island iced tea made with diet coke, I suppose.

yes but having the occasional drink won't make you fat either. I drink maybe once every other week, and I would not be described as overweight or even pudgy. Mind you if a start pounding back the margaritas... ;)

So.... we're all like snowflakes; special and unique in our consumption of alcohol. How thrilling.

Question: A friend of mine went through med school at U of A and told me that she basically had way more good times at med school than in undergrad. However, she's pretty clever so I was wondering what the average assessment is of free time for social interaction in med school vs undergrad.

Question: A friend of mine went through med school at U of A and told me that she basically had way more good times at med school than in undergrad. However, she's pretty clever so I was wondering what the average assessment is of free time for social interaction in med school vs undergrad.

The free time is decreased in med school. From (1) Increased class / lab / small group time and (2) the amount of studying you will do.

However, the social structure of med school is a very different from undergrad. Class sizes are smaller, teacher / TA / instructor to student ratio is a lot lower. You will get to work with your classmates in small groups / anatomy labs / clinical shadowing. As a result of this, you really get to know your classmates well and make strong relationships.

I have always liked smaller classes, having come from a small undergrad program and high school. You get to have friends who will understand whatever you're going through and will also be there to party with you.

yes but having the occasional drink won't make you fat either. I drink maybe once every other week, and I would not be described as overweight or even pudgy. Mind you if a start pounding back the margaritas... ;)

I find when I stop I get this weird shaking in my hands.... :(

Hey, this is sort of on the same lines as the original post...

Do you know of anyone who has gotten married while in medical school?

Me and my gf/fiance were planning on getting married when I am in second year medical school (provided I get in...hopefully I will).

Unfortunately, both our families...well, we aren't kids that have trust funds from our parents, but fortunately, she's an allied health professional (or will be by then), so she'll be the breadwinner.

Is this possible? She'll probably get about ~$50K/year gross (so probably ~$37K net)...I'll have whatever savings I still have, and hopefully I will still be able to work a bit (I teach first aid, and I do other jobs as well that dont' require great comitments)

But will I still even be elligible to recieve OSAP?

Luckily I have saved up a lot during high school and undergrad, so when I enter medicine, I'll have around $50K saved up (working + good investment choices...well, lucky investment choices did me well)...

I'm just babbling now, but anyone with any thoughts?

I know a lot of people tell me not to rush into marriage..but, we've been dating so long (so far ~5 years), and our situations at home are not the best...we feel that it is for the best for both of us.

Hey, this is sort of on the same lines as the original post...

Do you know of anyone who has gotten married while in medical school?

Me and my gf/fiance were planning on getting married when I am in second year medical school (provided I get in...hopefully I will).

Unfortunately, both our families...well, we aren't kids that have trust funds from our parents, but fortunately, she's an allied health professional (or will be by then), so she'll be the breadwinner.

Is this possible? She'll probably get about ~$50K/year gross (so probably ~$37K net)...I'll have whatever savings I still have, and hopefully I will still be able to work a bit (I teach first aid, and I do other jobs as well that dont' require great comitments)

But will I still even be elligible to recieve OSAP?

Luckily I have saved up a lot during high school and undergrad, so when I enter medicine, I'll have around $50K saved up (working + good investment choices...well, lucky investment choices did me well)...

I'm just babbling now, but anyone with any thoughts?

I know a lot of people tell me not to rush into marriage..but, we've been dating so long (so far ~5 years), and our situations at home are not the best...we feel that it is for the best for both of us.

To respond to the randomness, I would wait to get married if I were you. How much is the projected cost of the wedding? At 50k/year income, you would need a 100% savings rate to keep 35k and that's even if you're living with your parents, you'll be lucky to see 15k if you're out on your own. People often forget about tax, her 50k income will become something in the 30k's very fast and obviously you'll have liabilities and expenses such as food, leisure, rent, clothing, gas, various insurance policies and that 35k will quickly erode until you realize where the hell your money went.

I would just move in with the gf (if your families give you that much trouble) and wait a bit until you stabilize to get married, again it's just a piece of paper (you can always get married later if your relationship is marriage quality), but it'll consume a ****load of your assets while you have a liability that incurs interest (med school debt which will include your living expenses during the study period). We're also headed into recession which might jossle some things around, in which case you're better off having emergency and investment reserves. Up to you of course. I'm just being the robotic economist here. If you want the emotional aspect, I guess you'll see if you're a good fit by living with each other first (although the statistics aren't good I must say, especially getting married at this age).

I grew up under near minimum wage parents, gives you good perspective on money...

Good luck!

I got married during 2nd year of medical school. My husband made less than your wife and I still didn't qualify for OSAP. I also didn't have the savings that you do. Despite these things, we still had way less debt than the majority of my classmates at graduation because of his income and our careful spending throughout. Sounds like you two will be in an excellent financial position!

Med school shouldn't be a deterrant to getting married if that what you want for your relationship. The hours are tough, but I certainly found my husband to be an unbelievable support through the entire process.

I got married during 2nd year of medical school. My husband made less than your wife and I still didn't qualify for OSAP. I also didn't have the savings that you do. Despite these things, we still had way less debt than the majority of my classmates at graduation because of his income and our careful spending throughout. Sounds like you two will be in an excellent financial position!

Med school shouldn't be a deterrant to getting married if that what you want for your relationship. The hours are tough, but I certainly found my husband to be an unbelievable support through the entire process.

I agree. I guess it also depends on how big of a wedding you feel that you need, how bad you feel about wedding cost-saving options & how badly you want to avoid debt.

Lots of people get married during med school though. In my 40 student UOttawa french class, 3 of us are getting married on the same DAY this summer! It's totally possible. If that's what you want, I wouldn't let finances discourage you, especially since your particular situation seems quite good.

If you're 100% set on not using a LOC though, it might be tough, especially if you want a big/expensive wedding. The money you have saved may vanish pretty quickly once you pay your tuition, especially without OSAP.

Thanks! And Congratulations! Your post is inspiring. Hopefully me and my fiance can do what you both did! Sounds like you are with a wonderful spouse!

But..Oh wow, hmmm, not getting OSAP may be a bit tricky...I was joking around with her that we would have to eat pizza, spagetti, and PB&J during marriage...I guess that is not a joke =/

Hopefully, my investments right now will shoot up b/c I bought some stocks at fairly low prices...

But, I agree with you totally, I feel that school shouldn't be the main focus of my life (although it is important...family is more important)

I agree. I guess it also depends on how big of a wedding you feel that you need, how bad you feel about wedding cost-saving options & how badly you want to avoid debt.

Lots of people get married during med school though. In my 40 student UOttawa french class, 3 of us are getting married on the same DAY this summer! It's totally possible. If that's what you want, I wouldn't let finances discourage you, especially since your particular situation seems quite good.

If you're 100% set on not using a LOC though, it might be tough, especially if you want a big/expensive wedding. The money you have saved may vanish pretty quickly once you pay your tuition, especially without OSAP.

Thanks, and congrats to you as well!

For us...we kind of planned things out, but the price ranges we got now will probably go up b/c of inflation in a couple years...so far we can get married on approximately a $13K - $15K budget (but...sigh, not including honey moon or rings...but hopefully, family will be giving a lot of $$$ in gifts!)...but luckily we are planning on getting married late into the summer, so hopefully the costs will be down at that point in time.

I think the biggest expense at my wedding will probably be the open bar :eek: I don't drink much and neither does my gf/fiance...but...my family loves to drink, lol, so I have to :o

I wouldn't mind getting an LOC, but I tried so hard in undergrad to not get in debt, and I'm trying for the same thing in medical school. If only the cost of living was not so high :( Especially in Toronto

Well, anywhoo...here is hoping that my financial stocks going up 3 or 4 times in value in a couple years :D That way, I won't have to worry at all about my expenses lol

To respond to the randomness, I would wait to get married if I were you. How much is the projected cost of the wedding? At 50k/year income, you would need a 100% savings rate to keep 35k and that's even if you're living with your parents, you'll be lucky to see 15k if you're out on your own. People often forget about tax, her 50k income will become something in the 30k's very fast and obviously you'll have liabilities and expenses such as food, leisure, rent, clothing, gas, various insurance policies and that 35k will quickly erode until you realize where the hell your money went.

I would just move in with the gf (if your families give you that much trouble) and wait a bit until you stabilize to get married, again it's just a piece of paper (you can always get married later if your relationship is marriage quality), but it'll consume a ****load of your assets while you have a liability that incurs interest (med school debt which will include your living expenses during the study period). We're also headed into recession which might jossle some things around, in which case you're better off having emergency and investment reserves. Up to you of course. I'm just being the robotic economist here. If you want the emotional aspect, I guess you'll see if you're a good fit by living with each other first (although the statistics aren't good I must say, especially getting married at this age).

I grew up under near minimum wage parents, gives you good perspective on money...

Good luck!

Gahhh, don't think I can wait another 3 or 4 years, lol

Good advice though...just that, marriage is an important part of life...and to us, the sooner the better (for both of us)

And yea...taxes bite...I will have ~$35K after taxes on a $50K job (or jobs as I will have next year)...

I will be living at home, so that will save a lot. And I'll probably have to sell my car for $5K(to save on insurance and gas as well), plus...when hanging out with friends, I think I'll have to eat/drink out less (and just hang with them after)

Sometimes I wish I just didn't have all these savings and I got myself into huge amounts of debt so that I could qualify for all these bursaries and speical loans :( But ahhh well, hopefully, I'll leave medicine without debts and the ability to start having kids! :D

what are the chances one may find their future partner in med school :o (it seems like most students are already dating/engaged)

There were 3 couples in my class who met in med school. They all couples' matched during CaRMS and are married/engaged/living together. So certainly it's possible.

Archived