Premed 101 Forums

Dating in Medical School

I know this should be the least of my worries in med school, but I've never had a long term relationship yet... everyone is going to say... oh, chances are you're around med students all the time, so you're more likely to date another med student, but seriously:

what program/year is your current boyfriend/girlfriend in?

how/where did you guys meet?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, hmm good Q.

I am not dating, but lots in my class are. There are some couples in the class. Some are dating upper years, or residents, lots are dating people they meet outside of med. It is ideal to date someone in your class, but depends. I don't know if I want to date someone who does the same thing as me.

My significant half is in diagnostic imaging, and not a med student... and I love it... we understand each other but don't spend our days together ALL the time... I think i would go nuts:) but to each their own.. it works when your partner is in healthcare because the hours are wonky, and the demands of your jobs are similar... at least for us they are.

"You don't **** where you eat." Words of wisdom lol.

You know, people say that, but if you think about it, you spend half your day at school....most of your friends are from school, as well. Where else are you supposed to meet people, unless you go on the internet or to some seedy bar? Sure, the "one of my friends is gonna set me up with somebody" idea sounds great, but most of my friends seem to be friends with idiots...lol. Or people who are already coupled up. The very few times I did get set up have been absolutely disastrous. You just go, "wow, what made you think I would ever have ANYTHING in common with this person?"

"You don't **** where you eat." Words of wisdom lol.

Completely agree, as I was the guy that had an early 2 month relationship with a girl in my residence of only 250 people which ended less than optimally.

An awkward 4 months followed lol.

Thankfully, I'm just about married now and won't be making the same mistake in medical school if I manage to get there.

You know, people say that, but if you think about it, you spend half your day at school....most of your friends are from school, as well. Where else are you supposed to meet people, unless you go on the internet or to some seedy bar? Sure, the "one of my friends is gonna set me up with somebody" idea sounds great, but most of my friends seem to be friends with idiots...lol. Or people who are already coupled up. The very few times I did get set up have been absolutely disastrous. You just go, "wow, what made you think I would ever have ANYTHING in common with this person?"

An intelligent single that shares things in common? Since when did you acquire such taste for luxury ;)?

I'm kidding, if that's the case then medical school may be a viable option for you if you have no alternatives (beyond breaking Hypocratic Oath). I just heard from friends that their classes become drama fests from all the dating. But then again these are Ontario schools - dating culture here is apparently appalling according to my friends that have travelled across nation and continents - people here can't bear to be alone here and swing from bad relationship to bad relationship. Well...may not be characteristic to this geographic area exclusively. The concept of dating and love as construed by North Americans aside, it would awkward if some relationship disaster were too happen mid term, especially if 1 party wasn't so mature, you see the same person for quite awhile and they have sensitive information on you with common contacts...Too close to for comfort.

Completely agree, as I was the guy that had an early 2 month relationship with a girl in my residence of only 250 people which ended less than optimally.

An awkward 4 months followed lol.

Thankfully, I'm just about married now and won't be making the same mistake in medical school if I manage to get there.

Ouch, lucky it was just 4 months eh? And I'd assume a medical class is less than 250 people lol.

I say dating someone from the same year is something to be avoided, but dating from different years is nice.

Yeah, but then what if you date someone who's a year or two above you, then next thing you know, they are your resident during clerkship, making your life miserable...so hardly a fool-proof strategy. LOL. :P

Ouch, lucky it was just 4 months eh? And I'd assume a medical class is less than 250 people lol.

lol ya... I can only imagine at say... Queens, with only 100 people and four years of schooling how bad that could get.

That said I was 19 in residence (throwback to graduating from O.A.C.)

I'm 24 now.... so maybe things wouldn't have gone the way the did with an a little bit more maturity.

I'm never for absolutes though (oxymoron intended).... I'm sure there are smart ways to go about it... if you start dating someone near to end of your pre-clinical years you could probably avoid seeing them every single weekday in clinical rotations if the relationship goes sour, where if you break up with someone in the middle of first year, there's nowhere to hide lol.

Yeah, but then what if you date someone who's a year or two above you, then next thing you know, they are your resident during clerkship, making your life miserable...so hardly a fool-proof strategy. LOL. :P

Good call....so then, best idea is to only date younger students.

Lol that is why you need to have something of a social life. You meet casual sexual relationships at the bar, where both of you are drinking, and impairing your decision making skills.

Also jochi I take offense to "some seedy bar" You choose the bar you drink at, and not all are dirty skum. I pride myself on working at a bar where no one has to worry about getting stabbed or in a fight, and that we actually clean out bar.

Anyways, I have seen alot of decent relationships come from people who have similar social interests. If you are interested in sports or other social event, see if you can't hang out with your team or others. Talk to those people when you see them in the hallway, and you will find someone. I haven't found finding someone to date difficult (as long as you can talk to people), but finding someone special does take some time.

Also jochi I take offense to "some seedy bar" You choose the bar you drink at, and not all are dirty skum. I pride myself on working at a bar where no one has to worry about getting stabbed or in a fight, and that we actually clean out bar.

I just don't like bars in general. Neither do I care much for drinking...do it approximately 3 times a year.

Well, at least that way you know where they are all day.;)

Psychological projection is a defense mechanism where a person's personal attributes, unacceptable or unwanted thoughts, and/or emotions are ascribed onto another person or people.

Archived