Premed 101 Forums

Dating in Medical School

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"does this smell like chloroform to you?"

I love that one :D A friend of mine (the token biochem major) half ruined it by telling my that it apparently takes 4 minutes for chloroform to work. I have no idea what the truth is, but if anyone actually knows I swear I won't ask how you know;)

Of course, this whole thing almost makes it even better, since now it's:

"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you? Keep smelling, maybe you've been missing it for the past 3 minutes":p Maybe you had to be there now that I read it aloud...:(

The funny thing is, I'm sure the other gender thinks the same thing:p

Is it that our expectations are too high as a society (or maybe just as individuals)? I hear a lot of complaints these days that the "good ones" are always taken, which stands to reason if there is such thing as a "good one". The question then would become, what are we willing to "settle" for? What traits are you willing to forfeit in order to get the closest possible match? Sadly, the initial attraction has to be there in order for people to want to discover whether they are compatible with someone, and thus attractive people will always be at an advantage.

Strictly personal opinion, I don't think there's a perfect person for everyone. I think even at best relationships take a lot of work and sacrifice (pretty generic stuff I realize). I figure the best way to go about it is to get involved, since that's where people who share similar interests with you will be. From there, if it happens it happens, but desperately seeking it just makes you look desperate (ie: creepy). Improving yourself is the first step.

It also tends to help if you know what you can't stand and are willing to accept from the person. I hear people all the time who stated that they didn't think such and such a behavior wouldn't be a problem and then end up ending the relationship because it drove them mad.

Also, realize that if you go into a relationship trying to change someone, it is doomed from the start. People are the way they are for a reason, and no matter what it is your trying to change about them, they have their reasons for being that way. Shamefully I must admit I once tried in my first year to take a smart kinda geeky chick, and change her into a knockout. Ya it doesn't work, and I have never seen any resist basic levels of make-up so much (i.e. getting her eyebrows done on a regular basis so she didn't have a unibrow for half the school year). It was wrong of me I admit it, and the only time it works is in that movie "She's all that" with freddy prince jr....Ok i guess i may have just admitted to two shameful acts now.

It was wrong of me I admit it, and the only time it works is in that movie "She's all that" with freddy prince jr....Ok i guess i may have just admitted to two shameful acts now.

I was half way into reading this post when I decided I was going to post the movie poster for "she's all that" and then you made the reference yourself. Sad, sad times.

Yeah, but trying to change someone's basic personality (i.e. prioritization of appearence versus other life choices) is a pretty big change to attempt. I, for one, would probably meet it with a mild to moderate case of hostility.

LOL, I dated a guy last fall who on our 3rd date said he had a whole list of ideas on how to "improve" me...he was like, "well, we will probably start with your hair..." (nothing's wrong with my hair, my hairdresser said I have the healthiest hair of all her clients - I just don't care to spend 1.5 hours a day styling and blow-drying it), "we should also improve your personality..." That was the end of that one.

"he was like...we should also improve your personality..." That was the end of that one.

Woah, that guy had balls.

Pity he had no brain.

My personal approach is a neurotic overanalysis and avoidance of intimacy/commitment via a the security blanket of "too much school to do". This has worked out wonderfully/terribly.

At least, I am apparently in good company:

For many years in pre-med college, medical school, and residency, physicians focus on getting through the next hurdle. They may postpone the pleasures of life that others enjoy. ... traits that are widely heralded as being key ingredients in professional success may have the unwanted consequence of leading to more distant relationships. Many physicians place work above all else, and it has been speculated that this may serve the purpose for them of helping to avoid intimacy, thus placing strain on intimate relationships.

In Good Company was a great movie.

My approach is the security blanket of "you're just too much of a moron for me...":p

That defines about 80% of guys in general :P Especially if you're applying to med school. As a gender in general we aren't exactly known for our overwhelming common sense ;) Of course everyone likes to think they're the exception...

LOL, I dated a guy last fall who on our 3rd date said he had a whole list of ideas on how to "improve" me...he was like, "well, we will probably start with your hair..." (nothing's wrong with my hair, my hairdresser said I have the healthiest hair of all her clients - I just don't care to spend 1.5 hours a day styling and blow-drying it), "we should also improve your personality..." That was the end of that one.

LOL, who was this gem?

i'm still so shocked that jochi is a girl

That's a heterosexist assumption. Despite the fact that Jochi posted about dating a guy and styling hair he/she could be male. Yeah I know Jochi actually is female (or perhaps male:female transgendered?) but I just thought I'd point out the assumption for entertainment purposes.

I wonder how many people out there assumed I was a guy the first time they read my handle and saw the Dr. part. (didn't always have a sig, though Rob could be short for Robin, or Roberta, or hell are we still limiting names to specific genders these days?)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm so spoiled by my fiance, I can't even imagine handling dental school without him. Also, if we were to break up...well, first, I would have to actually start feeding myself, and I'm so not cool with that, but I could also never date a fellow professional student.

People talk about how it's nice to be with someone who understands what the life is like, but I don't think I could handle the competing priorities.

My man has a great career, but he didn't even flinch when I said we were moving for school. He just gave notice and set up job interviews for the next week and said it will be "refreshing" to have a change. Refreshing? Really?

He rocks my socks. I met him in high school, but years later we got acquainted through a mutual friend who was helping me with a fundraiser. We're getting married next summer at my mum's estate, and she's practically Martha Stewart so the whole thing will be pretty stress free for me. As long as there's a bonfire at the end I'll be happy.

it's not easy to just get up and move jobs. i guess it depends on the career.

Archived