Premed 101 Forums

How are the MMI's scored?

star3124

Hey guys this question is just out of curiosity. How do interviewers give us a score?

For example, is it a x/10 kind of thing, or is it a "relative score" like at this station, compared to others you scored in the top 40%.

I noticed one of McMasters score sheets in the past was the relative score one, but other schools I believe take different approaches.

At U of S, every section had different interviewers, so I've always wondered how they adjusted scores across so many people to make it fair.

Hey guys this question is just out of curiosity. How do interviewers give us a score?

For example, is it a x/10 kind of thing, or is it a "relative score" like at this station, compared to others you scored in the top 40%.

I noticed one of McMasters score sheets in the past was the relative score one, but other schools I believe take different approaches.

At U of S, every section had different interviewers, so I've always wondered how they adjusted scores across so many people to make it fair.

The dean of admission talked abou that, there are statistical tests and if necessary normalization across each interview station, and across each groups.

Have to say it seemed most fair!

• 2 weeks later...
they only have two minutes to evaluate you before the next person comes in.. how do they evaluate us?

They just write comments etc - many of them do this while you're talking - and at the end of the day, they rank everyone (morning and afternoon) on a relative scale.

See here: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Manual_for_Interviewers_2006.pdf

I wish I had that link before the MMI.

So is the score relative to that circuit or day or the whole batch of candidates. Besides how are you supposed to know if you're at the top 5% or top 50%.... isn't that really subjective......?

At U of A, they give you a score from 1 to 7, I think. 1 is "unacceptable," 7 is something like "exceptional" or "outstanding," which means 4 is the "average." Now, how these are determined, I have no idea. I always assumed that the admissions panel discusses each question in depth, and with collective brainpower, the "exceptional" answer is created, and then the interviewers use it as a reference point...but of course, comparing interviewees, setting the best answer as a 7, is another way to do it. But I personally don't think I could keep 8-10 people straight, even if I did write down comments for 2 mins after each.

Archived