Premed 101 Forums

UWO EARLY acceptances are out!

hey, i'm just curious why you are choosing western over U of T? is it mainly because you are already a western student?

No it's not because I'm at UWO.. to be honest I'm pretty sick of London and would love to have a change (Taylor library for 8 years? ehh lol), but I think from what I know now it's a better fit for me.. either way they are both good schools though.

- UWO has nicer facilities than UofT. UofT is building a new dental building, but not in the next four years. UWO has just finished renovating their clinics

- UWO = smaller class size.. never a bad thing

- UWO isn't isolated from the other schools like the dental school at UofT is. Actually, the new school at UofT they're hoping to build closer to the med school. I think it's an asset to be part of main campus.. probably because I've been at UWO it's also what I'm more used to

- UWO has more of a reputation for focus on clinical training; UofT has more of a repuation for academia/research/specializing.. I'm more interested in the former

- Impressions of the students at the interview: I've interviewed at a lot of schools this year and I've never heard students at any other school than UofT talk about how "strict" school is.. with checking on you when you're assisting, miss 3 classes for some courses = fail the class, etc. UWO seems to be a more laidback atmosphere overall and the students didn't have as many complaints as those at UofT

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head.. Seeing as I already put down the UofT deposit though, I'm going to talk with some recent graduates from both schools in May which will factor into my decision. But based on what my impressions are right now, I'm favouring UWO.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- UWO has more of a reputation for focus on clinical training; UofT has more of a repuation for academia/research/specializing.. I'm more interested in the former

Unfortunately, this isnt the case with the new curriculum which is to be implemented in Sept 09. It will be similar to that of UofT....kind of annoying since that was the most appealing thing to me (and many students) about Western.

Unfortunately, this isnt the case with the new curriculum which is to be implemented in Sept 09. It will be similar to that of UofT....kind of annoying since that was the most appealing thing to me (and many students) about Western.

hmm..well after looking at the newletter, it said the organization and delivery of information is mainly going to change, so clinical learning will now be taught later, as opposed to before - does that mean they will de-emphasize it though?

i don't know..i guess i'll try contacting students at both schools or something

Well, either school (UWO or UofT) is going to prepare their students to be clinically-competent dentists. UWO isn't necessarily considered a more "clinically focused" school solely because students currently start with clinical stuff earlier. Both schools give you the same amount of hours of clinical experience by the time you graduate. One advantage UWO offers over UofT is that with only a few specialty programs offered, more complex cases will be fielded by the undergrad dental students rather than automatically handled by the residents.

If UWO just pushes the clinic stuff back, it probably won't make much of a difference. The changes to the curriculum, with adopting a more integrated and multidisciplinary approach to the basic and clinical sciences, has already been instituted at many highly competitive schools in both the US and Canada. I think that UWO is moving in the right direction and is on par with other top dental schools.. in other words, I wouldn't let the curriculum change scare you off! UWO is also implementing a mandatory summer clinic btw 3rd & 4th year, new community outreach opportunities, etc.. I don't think there is any shortage of clinical experiences to be had. That being said, it is definitely worth researching.

holy crap!!!

those stats are unreal.

is there anyone with a 90+ average who didn't get early acceptance? hopefully there aren't too many people with 90+ averages left as i'd like to know where I stand amongst us remaining 30-some July offers :P . I have a feeling if i get in at all i'm going to be right at the cutoff, or off the waitlist.

I didn't get an early acceptance and I'm finishing up my 4th year honors degree with a 91% average. DATs: AA 21 and RC 28

I didn't get an early acceptance and I'm finishing up my 4th year honors degree with a 91% average. DATs: AA 21 and RC 28

Hey CharlieSixx How did you do in your interview? As I mentioned I also have 91% average but didn't get early acceptance but looking at stats of people who got it I am feeling some confidence (earlier I thought it may go 95+) but interview is something whose result you don't know. I feel my interview was good but still that's my opinion. I don't know how my interviewees felt!

smilee - it sure looks like you're on top of things !

i think a lot of people were just bummed because now they cant 'boast about drilling during the first week' lol

kittyp - you said you were in second year right? early offers can only be made to those who are in 3rd year+ because they need to have at least 2 years of marks to base their decisions on

any sub to mid 80s out there lol...? i think my chances look slim...

You can still get in with a sub to mid 80, you would just need a killer interview I think. I'm around the 84-85% ish mark right now (finishing third year now), but I will have an 87-88% ish average by the end of this year hopefully...

You can still get in with a sub to mid 80, you would just need a killer interview I think. I'm around the 84-85% ish mark right now (finishing third year now), but I will have an 87-88% ish average by the end of this year hopefully...

you're right...mid80s do get in. only if you score really high on the interview though i think... cuz the avg of accepted students last year was 88.51 so there are 90+s and there's the mid80s right

this thought should give hope to many of us lol

I just wanted to add to those comments about HermeyTheElf's stats:

I was fortunate to have my interview during the same time-slot as Hermey; not only is she a super smart cookie, but having gotten to know her a little throughout the day, I can attest to the fact that she is one of the most down-to-earth, friendly people you could meet. So, CONGRATS Hermey...anyone who is attending UWO dents next year will be very lucky to have you as a classmate :)

you're right...mid80s do get in. only if you score really high on the interview though i think... cuz the avg of accepted students last year was 88.51 so there are 90+s and there's the mid80s right

this thought should give hope to many of us lol

That's 2 year average right?

That's 2 year average right?

Yup, that's right.

Seeing as how people are getting early acceptance with low 90s, do you think that's an indication that this years average will probably be somewhat closer to what it's been in the past? Especially since THIRD years are getting in with those marks. Not to be offensive to anyone with a 91 (thats incredible), but if last year's average was 88.5, to get early aceptance people probably had to have mid-90's.

So, a lower early acceptance average hopefully points towards a lower overall average. Yes, yes?? Haha.

Yup, that's right.

Seeing as how people are getting early acceptance with low 90s, do you think that's an indication that this years average will probably be somewhat closer to what it's been in the past? Especially since THIRD years are getting in with those marks. Not to be offensive to anyone with a 91 (thats incredible), but if last year's average was 88.5, to get early aceptance people probably had to have mid-90's.

So, a lower early acceptance average hopefully points towards a lower overall average. Yes, yes?? Haha.

to me it seemed tht this yrs early acceptance avgs are about the same as last yrs...no?

Well, this is only an assumption. I assumed that because the overall average was high last year, the early acceptance averages had to be super high. But I don't think we really know the stats for early accepted students last year, so it's all just hearsay.

I mean, I dunno. We can make assumptions and predictions and what-not til the cows come home. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see!! Easier said than done, I know that haha. Hence my constant presence on this website.

to me it seemed tht this yrs early acceptance avgs are about the same as last yrs...no?

Yeah...last year's early acceptance was also around 91/92 so I think average will be almost same as last year and anyone above 85 (with very good interview) has chances of selection.

Well, this is only an assumption. I assumed that because the overall average was high last year, the early acceptance averages had to be super high. But I don't think we really know the stats for early accepted students last year, so it's all just hearsay.

You can do search on this forum and see the averages of last year's early acceptances.

I wouldn't worry too much about comparing GPA's to stats at this point because I think that once you get to the interview stage at UWO, it is pretty much based on the interview.. I think you mighttt be overanalyzing the process a wee bit :P

If all the interviews were offered to people 84%ish and above, the GPA range is already pretty tight.. it's not like having a 90% vs. an 88% is going to play a huge difference. Whereas if someone gets 3 on each question, they get a score of 21; if someone gets 4 on each question, they get 28. That is a much greater difference than a few percents for GPA.

Last year for UWO I know of people with 93% averages who did not get in and people with 85% averages who did get in. I think your average gets you to the interview and then the interview is what can make or break you from there.

i used to think GPA was the be-all-end-all cuz it's basically 60% of the calculation compared to 25% for the interview (more than double!!)

but wow 93% and didn't make it...? compared to the 85% who did?

that actually makes me feel a lot better about my chances...i'll just convince myself i aced the interview for the next two months haha!

yes...i see it this way...if UWO or any other uni for that matter gives you an interview...then you should have a chance of getting in by doing well on the interview...if you didnt do well (that is me...:( ) then i guess chances arent too good...

btw is it possible to get the entire orgo 2 done in 2 days and do well on the exam...i have to do just that lol

I just wanted to add to those comments about HermeyTheElf's stats:

I was fortunate to have my interview during the same time-slot as Hermey; not only is she a super smart cookie, but having gotten to know her a little throughout the day, I can attest to the fact that she is one of the most down-to-earth, friendly people you could meet. So, CONGRATS Hermey...anyone who is attending UWO dents next year will be very lucky to have you as a classmate :)

Wow, I just read your comments along with Eebee's and Xylem29's and I really just wanted to say thank-you. You all sound so nice and so real! I feared that dental school might be as catty and competitive as some of these discussion boards, but I'm confident now that this is just a manifestation of fear and anxiety. I so appreciate your posts and hope to meet you all in the fall. Good luck and keep me posted:)

Archived