Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Ah in the UK that's how they do it too--but with cameras. Two cameras a set distance apart recognize your plate. If your average speed is above the limit, you must have been speeding = ticket. But that produces much "harder" evidence than in your case.

Interesting! dee should pass on this information to his olawyer for his further consideration. I don't know that he should plead guilty, thereby doing the job for the Crown, especially if there is no leeway in the penalty. Perhaps, best for his lawyer to try to reasch a deal for his well-intended and poor med student client who already has been punished enough.......

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I taught a CPR class for some OPP guys and they said the plane was sketchy lately because so many people were fighting it, apparently its easier (harder for us to fight) and more efficient to nail people with their new laser, which can see up to 2km if there are no obstructions.

At the very least find out whoever is dealing with your appeal and try to talk them down. Generally they're overworked underpaid and you can drop it to 14 over to minimize the affect on your insurance.... depending on how much over you were.

Was this on the 400 or 401?

Ah in the UK that's how they do it too--but with cameras. Two cameras a set distance apart recognize your plate. If your average speed is above the limit, you must have been speeding = ticket. But that produces much "harder" evidence than in your case.

QUOTE]

Yeah that system actually makes sense - basically they are taking a larger "sample size" of your driving.

I heard some countries put transponders in all cars as well. Tracks for speeding among other things. Possibly even more accurate.

I don't know that he should plead guilty, thereby doing the job for the Crown, especially if there is no leeway in the penalty.

BTW deeman: your lawyer's advice >>> my advice. :P

I probably wouldn't have fought it at all (I would have just sought a reduction)--then I would've used the raised insurance premiums would serve as a stinging reminder everytime I'm tempted to speed. :( A very expensive reminder.

I had a speeding ticket a month of two ago and my premiums still dropped for the next 6 month period. So now I have no idea how it works.

Probably depends on how much you speed. Did you lose points? 33 over the limit is kind of high. Good luck Dee.

I'm very excited to hear the outcome. Can I attend the trial?

Such a productive day today! First did a bunch of chores this morning, then went to get my skates sharpened and found out that my new ones are in!!! Finally! :D. So I'm going to go get them fitted on Thursday:). A little worried though. Riedell (the boot company) stopped making the specific boot I've used for YEARS (like... probably almost 8 years). So it's a totally different boot now (first Riedell doesn't make my size in regular boots so I have to get them custom (my skate size is a 3.5AA) and now they've stopped making the boot I used to use! So frustrating!) :S. Breaking them in might take longer than the 10 minutes it used to when I get new skates:p. New blades on Thursday too!

Finally got my contacts today too- apparently they'd forgotten to call me when they came in:rolleyes: Apparently I have astigmatism in my one eye. That might be why my contacts from before weren't working so well..... lol

Also found out that my car can go ~30km after the "low fuel" idiot light has come on. Good thing it wasn't any less or I might have had to call AMA and be a total tool and ask them to come bring me some gas for my car. lol

With this level of productivity I might get my room clean today (can't see the floor for the papers! lol :P)!........... On second thought..... maybe not....

Unfortunately for insurance speeding tickets are usually treated as a all-or-nothing deal. They don't care if its 5 over or 49 over. I've heard some insurance companies don't raise premiums after the first ticket but thats not always true. Especially for a 22 year old male. And, well, the first ticket wasn't planned. Neither will the second one (if there is one). And if I can't get that conviction dropped then I'm really screwed, lol. 3 tickets and most insurance companies will not insure me in ON. I'll be put on "facility insurance" which is like $8k/yr. So imo every one counts.

Unfortunately for insurance speeding tickets are usually treated as a all-or-nothing deal. They don't care if its 5 over or 49 over. I've heard some insurance companies don't raise premiums after the first ticket but thats not always true. Especially for a 22 year old male. And, well, the first ticket wasn't planned. Neither will the second one (if there is one). And if I can't get that conviction dropped then I'm really screwed, lol. 3 tickets and most insurance companies will not insure me in ON. I'll be put on "facility insurance" which is like $8k/yr. So imo every one counts.

:eek: Yowzers! That's crazy! definitely not like that here in AB... otherwise my dad's insurance would be a lot more:p lol.

Good luck!:)

Probably depends on how much you speed. Did you lose points? 33 over the limit is kind of high. Good luck Dee.

I'm very excited to hear the outcome. Can I attend the trial?

77 in a 50. It was one of these crap towns that end like 2 miles earlier in reality than on paper, so I thought I was well out of the "urban" zone when the cop nailed me like 3 feet before the "80" sign.

77 in a 50. It was one of these crap towns that end like 2 miles earlier in reality than on paper, so I thought I was well out of the "urban" zone when the cop nailed me like 3 feet before the "80" sign.

Sounds like you got caught in rural AB. Near the beginning or the end of the month. That's where they sit when they need to make their ticket quota and aren't quite there yet because that's where EVERYONE speeds....

It helps to have a friend whose dad was a cop... you learn when not to speed:p

So as some of you might recall, I'm doing this French exchange program right now. Somehow, even thought I had only finished beginners' French (i.e. 1st year), I ended up testing into the highest level - level 6! I ended up dropping down to 5, though, because the topics they wanted to talk about in 6 were gonna put me to sleep (class debates about HST? No thanks!). But there are some French teachers in the levels below me! While I find this flattering, I also find this a sign that if I ever have any children, I'm better off home-schooling them.:eek:

So as some of you might recall, I'm doing this French exchange program right now. Somehow, even thought I had only finished beginners' French (i.e. 1st year), I ended up testing into the highest level - level 6! I ended up dropping down to 5, though, because the topics they wanted to talk about in 6 were gonna put me to sleep (class debates about HST? No thanks!). But there are some French teachers in the levels below me! While I find this flattering, I also find this a sign that if I ever have any children, I'm better off home-schooling them.:eek:

All year I've been home-schooling Rebekah on top of preschool. It's not surprising to me.

Sounds like you got caught in rural AB. Near the beginning or the end of the month. That's where they sit when they need to make their ticket quota and aren't quite there yet because that's where EVERYONE speeds....

It helps to have a friend whose dad was a cop... you learn when not to speed:p

When they start charging you for having no mud flaps, either they really hate you, or are really desperate. :P

All year I've been home-schooling Rebekah on top of preschool. It's not surprising to me.

After my time in education, if it wasn't for the socialization aspect, I wouldn't want my kids to go to public school. Ever. Some serious morons in that class.

After my time in education, if it wasn't for the socialization aspect, I wouldn't want my kids to go to public school. Ever. Some serious morons in that class.

Exactly...if I could afford it, I would love to send them to a private school (like King's Edgehill in NS) or have private tutoring, but social skills are really important.

Lol, she's begged me so much that I had to take out my bio books and show her the side-view cartoons of preggers and giving birth...she is very unimpressed with the placenta and that she did not, in fact, live in my stomach.

Exactly...if I could afford it, I would love to send them to a private school (like King's Edgehill in NS) or have private tutoring, but social skills are really important.

Lol, she's begged me so much that I had to take out my bio books and show her the side-view cartoons of preggers and giving birth...she is very unimpressed with the placenta and that she did not, in fact, live in my stomach.

I'd really like to send my sprouts to a private school, but only if they don't come back with a private school attitude. :P

Hehe, so cute. :)

K. I'll open a (cheap) private school there. Enrollment begins today with classes starting Sept 6th (I think that's a monday?). Full-day or half-day classes offered. Ages 3+.

Actually, I think we've already had this type of conversation before. lol.

Archived