Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

hope that flight think worked out well!

ahhhhh new keyboard at last - took 8 days to get here. I have the 1 key again (!).

no body would likely understand this but as a programmer I use a editor called vi. It requires the use of the esc key to do anything and that key was also down. The equivalent would be for most people to be forced to use windows but weren't allowed to use a mouse at all for about a week. Painful :)

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhhhh new keyboard at last - took 8 days to get here. I have the 1 key again (!).

no body would likely understand this but as a programmer I use a editor called vi. It requires the use of the esc key to do anything and that key was also down. The equivalent would be for most people to be forced to use windows but weren't allowed to use a mouse at all for about a week. Painful :)

Still programming during med school? Cool.

Yes--they arranged to have him stay in a hotel and fly out at 7am. He made it in time for the interview (or at least, I think he did since I haven't received any phone calls! Lol). Thanks :)

Hmmm...I've taken C++. That's as far as I go.

Yes--they arranged to have him stay in a hotel and fly out at 7am. He made it in time for the interview (or at least, I think he did since I haven't received any phone calls! Lol). Thanks :)

Hmmm...I've taken C++. That's as far as I go.

You didn't wait up for him like he wanted you to? Tsk tsk.

You didn't wait up for him like he wanted you to? Tsk tsk.

Lol. I did--actually, I was up til 4am...but I hadn't received any this morning until after the interview. Which, apparently, went really well ;) The interviewer even took him on a tour of the campus *for me* and said that he did some checking around and there are med students living in the city that travel back and forth to NOSM so the move is a feasible plan for our future goals. Eeeee.

I'm a softcore programmer (some even define as a script writer, not programmer) but I can understand the significance of that. My question is why didn't you just buy one at the local computer shop? 8 day wait for a keyboard?? lol

So I went to the office that fights tickets on my behalf. Turns out they charge double since its so far out in the wilderness of ON. They need someone to go to the court date over there (1.5hrs east of TO). So I guess its fair. But still....this ticket better be thrown out! lol (on a side note they were pissed that I was going so fast)

I'll concede now that speeding wasn't worth the cost. :rolleyes:

So I went to the office that fights tickets on my behalf. Turns out they charge double since its so far out in the wilderness of ON. They need someone to go to the court date over there (1.5hrs east of TO). So I guess its fair. But still....this ticket better be thrown out! lol (on a side note they were pissed that I was going so fast)

There are no garantees, however, if they experts at their game, the facts could turn out to be less important than you think. :) For you to make that kind of investment, I would assume you heard some encouraging words even though you have given them a challenge. Best of luck! And me thinks I will be passing you on the road from now on. :D (not that I am on the highway often)

There are no garantees, however, if they experts at their game, the facts could turn out to be less important than you think. :) For you to make that kind of investment, I would assume you heard some encouraging words even though you have given them a challenge. Best of luck! And me thinks I will be passing you on the road from now on. :D (not that I am on the highway often)

Yea, my friend and his cousin had a total of 4 tickets fought and won by this guy. Hes pretty good. So I'm hoping he does the same for me. And I never said I'm gonna go at speed limit. Just that I won't be going *as fast* as I was. :P

So I just signed away another 3 yrs of my life to rogers. They enticed me with a new blackberry to replace my ailing current one. I took the bait...oh yea law signed away his life to telus. So he's a loser too! :D

I never said I'm gonna go at speed limit. Just that I won't be going *as fast* as I was. :P

I find that the limit on the 401 is a 'suggestion' and I have passed OPP on the road, above the speed limit, w/o any problem. They seem to go after you when driving at 'excessive' speed in their judgment.

I find that the limit on the 401 is a 'suggestion' and I have passed OPP on the road, above the speed limit, w/o any problem. They seem to go after you when driving at 'excessive' speed in their judgment.

100 is ridiculous. 120 is the norm but more than that is dangerous. I prefer to stick to 120.

GL D and congrats on not getting caught for so long.

In other news, chaos commences tonight. One month to exams and every day from now is going to be pure madness.

Yea, my friend and his cousin had a total of 4 tickets fought and won by this guy. Hes pretty good. So I'm hoping he does the same for me. And I never said I'm gonna go at speed limit. Just that I won't be going *as fast* as I was. :P

So I just signed away another 3 yrs of my life to rogers. They enticed me with a new blackberry to replace my ailing current one. I took the bait...oh yea law signed away his life to telus. So he's a loser too! :D

Lol... I guess I'm a loser too... signed away 3 years of my life to Virgin Mobile to get my pretty new blackberry:D hehe

Does anyone ever read the entire, insanely long "Terms and Conditions stuff" you have to check off whenever you do something online? For all I know I've signed away my future first born child like 50 times over.......

I'm about to sign my life away to Rogers, but it's not too bad

For $20+tax all in, I'll be getting:

250 anytime minutes

250 incoming minutes

Evenings and weekends starting at 6

VM

CID

125 texts outgoing/unlimited incoming

100 long distance Canadian minutes

Which is not too shabby at all...Will probably pick up the Nokia 5800 for $50 (hopefully they'll waive the $35 activation fee)

No data though, don't really see any point in getting it until the prices are more reasonable

---

I really wish I could have signed with Wind, but with their crappy phone selection and lack of any plans between their crappy $15 plan and their amazing $35 plan, it's too bad. If they had a $25 plan in between, I would have been happy

^ you are just asking for it. Signing with rogers is like me setting my effing cruise control at 135 on the 401. All is good until you get caught. Rogers WILL eventually eff you over royally. They gave me an awesome plan and a new bb for cheap but I'm still gonna dump their ass in 3 yrs! I can't forgive them for what they did to me (which is nothing compared to what they did to law). I hate you rogers! I hate you bell! Videotron all the way!! :D

^ you are just asking for it. Signing with rogers is like me setting my effing cruise control at 135 on the 401. All is good until you get caught. Rogers WILL eventually eff you over royally. They gave me an awesome plan and a new bb for cheap but I'm still gonna dump their ass in 3 yrs! I can't forgive them for what they did to me (which is nothing compared to what they did to law). I hate you rogers! I hate you bell! Videotron all the way!! :D

I'm gonna go with Fido.

I need to get a new sim card for my iPhone (which was bought in Germany) and try to find a decent plan for it. Should be interesting. It seems Blackberries are much more popular over here (no surprise, seeing as RIM is a Canadian company. :P)

Of course, when we get to Edmonton, we will need to find a company that offers TV, internet, phone, etc., in addition to my iPhone. We're in an apartment building, so not everything is necessarily available. I guess we'll see once we get there.

One more day in Ottawa, then we start our lovely cross-Canada driving adventure. At least my husband has already done the drive a couple of times, as the army sent him hither and thither back and forth from Pet to Chilliwack to Gagetown, before we met.

In other news, I'm experiencing some left upper quadrant abdominal pain that I'm hoping is just a result of changing diet from Munich-German back to Ottawa-Canadian. Either that or it's my bloody endometriosis growing in a new place. My old family doctor in Ottawa is too booked to see me, and well, I'll be on the road until we get to Edmonton, where I'll probably have to rely on the university health services since it seems there are no family doctors seeing new patients in Edmonton. No other symptoms, so I'm really hoping it's just the change in diet and that is goes away soon.

I need to get a new sim card for my iPhone (which was bought in Germany) and try to find a decent plan for it. Should be interesting. It seems Blackberries are much more popular over here (no surprise, seeing as RIM is a Canadian company. :P)

Of course, when we get to Edmonton, we will need to find a company that offers TV, internet, phone, etc., in addition to my iPhone. We're in an apartment building, so not everything is necessarily available. I guess we'll see once we get there.

One more day in Ottawa, then we start our lovely cross-Canada driving adventure. At least my husband has already done the drive a couple of times, as the army sent him hither and thither back and forth from Pet to Chilliwack to Gagetown, before we met.

In other news, I'm experiencing some left upper quadrant abdominal pain that I'm hoping is just a result of changing diet from Munich-German back to Ottawa-Canadian. Either that or it's my bloody endometriosis growing in a new place. My old family doctor in Ottawa is too booked to see me, and well, I'll be on the road until we get to Edmonton, where I'll probably have to rely on the university health services since it seems there are no family doctors seeing new patients in Edmonton. No other symptoms, so I'm really hoping it's just the change in diet and that is goes away soon.

Or outpatients...not sure about your university, but mine was harder to make an appointment with than my doctor!

I just left WIND for Telus. Honestly, the network was driving me crazy all month. Repeatedly getting "failed calls" (calls that aren't going through) and text messages were lagging big time and calls were not getting to me. That was the primary reason why I'm leaving, but in addition to that, I'm being slaughtered with data roaming when I go to the US... with Telus I got "US Data Pass $10" and it's 4x cheaper than Wind.

My plan is brutal though (w/o data pass 10, which is a 30 day pass that you can add anytime you want) it is:

$87/month:

-350 anytime minutes

-evening/weekend 6pm (cost me $7/month)

-nationwide my5

-1GB data

-voice mail, conference calling

-unlimited n. america wide text & caller ID ($15 of the price of the plan is here)

Still cheaper than what I had to pay with WIND with roaming. Last month my bill was $200. At least now, for $10 I can get roaming at $1/MB vs $4/MB.

I'm on a month to month plan though, can cancel anytime and now my phone is unlocked so can go with any company. If anybody can think of a better plan for me, let me know! I need all of these features, I like having options (ex. free texting while i'm in the US, cheap data in the US - cause when I don't my bill becomes HUGEEE lol). Also def need caller ID, voice mail, etc.

We are screwed no matter where we go. Wind's service has not been that good and their plans have no flexibility. Their roaming agreements must suck because they have no roaming add ons. I don't know if mobilicity is any better, but thy charge even more for data roaming. The only sweet thing with WIND is all long distance was only 25 c per minute (including when you're in the US).

I was so desperate that I even looked @ ROGERS plans. They will eventually screw you over, they always find a way to get their money's worth and good luck arguing with morons who say one thing to you on the phone but never carry through with it. For God's sake, they tried charging me $300 for a modem I returned. I even had the receipt and they were STILL trying to charge me for it. Idiots.

Or outpatients...not sure about your university, but mine was harder to make an appointment with than my doctor!

It looks like U of A is walk-in (which was the same at Guelph), so I should be able to see someone, it just might take forever. ;)

Once I get to Edmonton (although I guess I'll have to wait until the school year starts), I can make an appointment to see a gynaecologist at the university health centre, but I have no idea how long the waiting list for that might be! Ah, I miss the German medical system already. :o At least the Canadian Forces covers the cost of all my medical care until I get a shiny new Alberta health card.

Looking at all the prices you guys are paying for cell phone plans, I'm also clearly going to miss my German cell phone service as well.

Archived