Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cryostat clothes are interesting. You need a sweater to keep your upper body warm, but also shorts because the heat that comes out from the bottom of the machine.

it must be a tough job for your hypothalamus to figure that one out.

I actually got a little dizzy at one point and threatened to wear nothing but the lab coat.

Why not suggest to the nominating committee that they appoint a strong advocate instead of you, i.e., decline if politically feasible.

I can't decline without looking bad. The department is small and there's only 10 of us (students), and apparently they all said that I have the best public speaking skills. Plus, I'm trying to figure out a way to get in on some of the new funds our department got (even though it doesn't really have to do with my research) so I need to be in the "good books".

It's not really so bad, I just don't want the extra work.

Regardless, it appears that women these days are just too damn uptight and speak out far too often, looking like b******.

hmmm... that's a good thing to say........ (N)

I had a really great response to this post, but decided I wouldn't want to risk speaking up or I'd look like a b****- and I'm a guy. I'm assuming you weren't trying to be sexist so your statement would obviously apply to guys who speak out too...

Have a good one dude.

I don't see guys speaking up a lot. They'll either be looking for a fight (with their words) or they are long gone before you can do or say anything. We have a different saying for each type. It is obviously easier for a guy to deal with another guy than it is to deal with a girl and I don't have to tell you that.

It would be interesting to note whether or not guys do speak up a lot or if it's just not noticed or perceived in the same way... Perhaps it's more socially acceptable for a guy to say something about another person that they don't even know.

I don't find it harder to deal with a girl when compared to a guy, in fact I think it can be easier to talk to a girl provided you do it in a calm civilized way. Ultimately, I would say that people in general can be approachable (and open to your opinion) provided it's done form a non-judgemental perspective. There are always going to be those people that don't care, but I think that's true of both sexes.

I don't see guys speaking up a lot. They'll either be looking for a fight (with their words) or they are long gone before you can do or say anything. We have a different saying for each type. It is obviously easier for a guy to deal with another guy than it is to deal with a girl and I don't have to tell you that.

Sigh.

I sure hope you don't have to deal with any slightly overweight, b****y women as a physician. They might decide to speak up about their chest pain or somthin'. Then you'll have to prescribe them a placebo and hope they get out of your office.

Ok- I accept your apology and apologise for making a judgement on you as well. However...

I urge you to not make judgements based on gender or appearance- it seems like you've done so here. Making those judgements is unnacceptable behaviour as well, in my opinion.

There's still a lack of respect shown to women- I know at first glance it seems pretty equal, but it's not always. Especially for women who don't fit the societal standard of "woman" (eg. overweight).

I need to stop because I'm on the world's slowest internet ever.

Sooo... awkward moment in class today, but in a way too cute. :rolleyes: But then again, way too awkward and I hope, truly hope that no one noticed anything aside from the person I'm talking about and myself. :o

I shouldn't have come home this weekend (Toronto). My place is still an utter mess and I can't find half of the things needed. It's been like this for now 2 months and I can't stand it. :(

Public health care advocates from across the country took their cause to the steps of the Alberta legislature on Saturday.

Friends of Medicare, a provincial lobby group, organized the event in the wake of concerns the Tories are planning to further privatize the province's health-care system.

Vancouver MP and federal Health Critic Ujjal Dosanjh said even though health care is a provincial responsibility, the country needs to keep an eye on what's happening in Alberta.

"I'm worried about the larger implicit opening for privatization," he said.

"Defending public health care in one province or in any province is defending public health care in the country, so it's not about Alberta — it could have been anywhere."

Dosanjh said decisions made in Alberta could set a precedent for the rest of the country.

"I'm very, very worried about the federal non-role in health care under this government and some province's desire to push for privatization," he said.

"That's why I felt it was important for me to come and stand with those that defend health care."

Former Tory MLA Raj Sherman and his lawyer were expected to make a statement at the rally.

Sherman was suspended from the Tory caucus after he started speaking out about health care.

He has also raised concerns that his former colleagues are carrying on a whisper campaign aimed at damaging his reputation.

So I volunteered with the Canadian Blood Services today. There were two autistic teenage girls who volunteered with me (14 and 15 years old) and they were amazing! We talked about movies and one literally knew the year each movie I listed was made (I listed about 20+ movies) and also knew the main cast of each movie! Some of the movies I listed were from the 1930s (like the original Snow White which was made in 1937). I was blown away. I later asked the same girl "I was born in 1988. How old am I?" And literally without a wink she replied "22." I am so fascinated with how the brain works... like these girls were very polite and friendly but, of course, exhibited signs of autism. And at the same time they possessed extraordinary abilities that would make anyone envious! It made me think... if everyone on this planet who is considered "normal" had their amazing memory and affinity for numbers as well, everyone who is considered "normal" at present would actually be considered mentally impaired in their world.

So I volunteered with the Canadian Blood Services today. There were two autistic teenage girls who volunteered with me (14 and 15 years old) and they were amazing! We talked about movies and one literally knew the year each movie I listed was made (I listed about 20+ movies) and also knew the main cast of each movie! Some of the movies I listed were from the 1930s (like the original Snow White which was made in 1937). I was blown away. I later asked the same girl "I was born in 1988. How old am I?" And literally without a wink she replied "22." I am so fascinated with how the brain works... like these girls were very polite and friendly but, of course, exhibited signs of autism. And at the same time they possessed extraordinary abilities that would make anyone envious! It made me think... if everyone on this planet who is considered "normal" had their amazing memory and affinity for numbers as well, everyone who is considered "normal" at present would actually be considered mentally impaired in their world.

I'd be impressed with the movie part. Not so much with guessing your age. Being 2010 it's pretty quick to do the math, haha

Archived