Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Absolutely! :P And this applies to life generally. :)

I must of fell about 100 times my first trip out snowboarding. I quickly learned that HURTS and did all i could do to avoid it in future.

Although there's something to be said for taking a nasty dump. Its like a right of passage or something haha

I posted the below in the McGill Forum earlier today:

This afternoon I received a PM from a longtime non-poster who wanted my help but first requested background information about me.

My posts, approaching ten thousand, and the numerous verifications & testimonials as to my actual help to so many others applying to med schools across Canada with respect to their work product speaks for itself. What more is required of me?

Therefore, the question raised questions/suspicions to me as to the true intent/motivation and identity of this anonymous non-poster.

I did not answer the question, rather posed to this person that he may be adcoms at McGill. :P And I respectfully declined to help, giving generic common sense advice that so many applicants must have. :)

And the beat goes on. ;)

Why not take your kid's candy to your local radiology department?

A 1993 study on candy screening at five hospitals and three immediate care centres in Louisville, Kentucky on Halloween night in 1992, published in the journal Annals of Emergency Medicine, concluded the practice has "an extremely low yield" in detecting foreign materials.

A 1998 study, published in Veterinary and human toxicology, found the average cost of x-raying candy at three hospitals in the Reno area was $3.38 per bag.

"Children taking their candy to hospital on Halloween night risk involvement in traffic accidents," along with the additional drawbacks of overcrowding radiology departments and emergency rooms with excited children, the study concluded.

"The x-rays will pick up a needle in a piece of candy; it is not going to pick up soap, toxins -- if something was added to it. It's not going to pick up those things," said Holstege, a father of six aged nine to 18.

"The risk is exceedingly small to have your candy tampered with."

But for some parents just the thought of the scan gives them comfort. "It's an extra measure or protection," said Kim Gardner, a mother of a four-year-old child from Virginia Beach.

"Scanning candy is a really good idea because it can detect a lot of things, like glass, that you can't see through the candy wrappers," she said.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Despite+risk+paranoid+parents+scan+Halloween+candy/5632669/story.html#ixzz1cOCNcF90

I have an interesting dilemma I'm hoping someone could help with (I want a bunch of opinions here because I really don't know what to do)....

So in my apartment building one of my neighbours (I think the one above me, but it doesn't really matter and I don't know FOR SURE) enjoys smoking some illegal stuff (if you know what I mean). Now I personally don't, (and haven't ever) but I don't judge if someone does. The only problem I have is that they do it several times a week (again, not a problem).... but they do it outside. Why is this a problem? Well, even though I have my windows and screen door closed, it still filters into my apartment. Now, my issue with it is that it gives me a HUGE headache (aside from making me want to vomit from the smell). I've tried Febreeze Air Effects, but that only lasts (literally) 30 seconds. I'm burning candles, (a sh!tton) but that isn't helping either. Is there any way I can mask the smell so I don't get a really bad headache every time they light up (which is usually 2-4 times a week)? I mean, I want to contact the resident manager about this because it is an issue for me, but I don't want to be THAT PERSON, you know? I mean, I don't even know for sure who it is- all I know is that it's in my general vicinity.

So... any advice? What should I do?:confused:

Archived