Premed 101 Forums

Question About McGill

I'm finishing up third year right now and was thinking of maybe applying to mcgill after next year (as an oop). The thing is though, my GPA kinda sucks (3.70), but I got really good DAT scores in november (27 carving, 24 chem, 22 bio, 24 rc, 24 pat). Do I have a chance in hell? Any way my DAT scores could make up for my GPA? just asking cuz mcgill's always been my dream school.

I'm finishing up third year right now and was thinking of maybe applying to mcgill after next year (as an oop). The thing is though, my GPA kinda sucks (3.70), but I got really good DAT scores in november (27 carving, 24 chem, 22 bio, 24 rc, 24 pat). Do I have a chance in hell? Any way my DAT scores could make up for my GPA? just asking cuz mcgill's always been my dream school.

If it's your dream, definitely apply and present yourself as well as possible. Otherwise you'll always regret not trying. I'm not familiar with the DAT but I think those are very good scores, and 3.7 is a decent GPA. If the rest of your application is great you should have a chance. That being said, apply to other schools just in case, and keep working on your GPA!

My cumulative GPA (they look at cumulative) is only 3.72 and I got an OOP interview there this year.

I didn't get accepted though... they do weigh GPA as 50% of their final decision so I guess if my interview wasn't amazing I had no real shot. But the application fee was only $85 (compared to $250 at UWO and U of T) so go ahead and apply and hopefully you can wow them in your interview! :)

Hey,

Does anyone know what the admission stats are for McGill dentistry? I am interested in applying next year, which will be for admission after 4th year undergrad. I am an Ontario student, and I heard that they give preference to students from McGill... Does anyone know ballpark figures of how many people they take out of province? Also, it says on the website that

A cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) is considered competitive.

Is this for in province students? It seems a bit low considering you need a 3.8 ish GPA to even get an interview at U of T... What kind of marks would you need for OOP? And do they look at all 4 years of undergrad, or do they drop your worst year?

Finally, would not knowing how to speak French factor into their decisions at all?

Thanks!

Hey,

Does anyone know what the admission stats are for McGill dentistry? I am interested in applying next year, which will be for admission after 4th year undergrad. I am an Ontario student, and I heard that they give preference to students from McGill... Does anyone know ballpark figures of how many people they take out of province? Also, it says on the website that

A cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) is considered competitive.

Is this for in province students? It seems a bit low considering you need a 3.8 ish GPA to even get an interview at U of T... What kind of marks would you need for OOP? And do they look at all 4 years of undergrad, or do they drop your worst year?

Finally, would not knowing how to speak French factor into their decisions at all?

Thanks!

At my interview someone asked what the GPA cutoff was and she said last year's class (2007-2008 app cycle) the average GPA was 3.78 (so including both OOP and IP). I asked if it was cumulative and she said yes. I'm assuming that IP students would be the people with the lower GPAs, but that's just speculation on my part. I don't think anyone knows how they rank the OOP compared to IP. And no, they don't care about speaking French as U of Montreal and Laval both have French dental schools. Mcgill is an English speaking university.

Archived