Premed 101 Forums

Which schools have grad review policies/ look at grads differently?

Thus far I know these schools either have grad review policies or look at grads differently.

- UofT has a supplementary package for grads

- Ottawa used to have a grad review policy but it's now removed for the upcoming year

- Mac adds 0.01 for Master's and 0.04 for PhD

Does anyone else know of any other medical schools that have different criteria for graduate students? Canadian and U.S would both help.

don't count on grad studies... it means jack to adcoms

all they care about is your gpa due to rote memorization... novel research and pursuit of knowledge means nothing to medicine, apparently...

/rant

Thus far I know these schools either have grad review policies or look at grads differently.

- UofT has a supplementary package for grads

- Ottawa used to have a grad review policy but it's now removed for the upcoming year

- Mac adds 0.01 for Master's and 0.04 for PhD

Does anyone else know of any other medical schools that have different criteria for graduate students? Canadian and U.S would both help.

Yeah that grad route used to be more important than it is now. Now UG GPA is king, and it is better to do a second undergrad than do grad work in my opinion.

At least that way Queens, Western and Ottawa will consider you.

don't count on grad studies... it means jack to adcoms

all they care about is your gpa due to rote memorization... novel research and pursuit of knowledge means nothing to medicine, apparently...

/rant

This is very, very true. You will be penalized for intellectual curiosity. Fact.

At Queen's, if you don't make the GPA cut-off with your undergrad marks, your file is forwarded to the graduate review committee to make a decision as to whether you will be granted an interview. The specifics of how that decision is made are not widely known; however, there are a number of people in my class who have said that is how they were granted an interview.

Elaine

I know that NOSM adds 0.2 to the final GPA calculation if you finished your master's or PhD.

At Queen's, the MCAT cutoff is the same right for UG and grads right?

Are there other schools in Canada or USA with a different criteria for grads?

they dont post it

if you check the website, you would see its not posted. There are some guesses made as to what it might be on this board. Use the search function and you should find it

doing your own research is always best and then consult here

Also, it does depend on the school. Dalhousie, for ex., tends to like well-rounded, slightly more mature applicants (often those with advanced degrees).

It's not the degree per se, but the extra research time, plus the potential for more publications, etc. means that you get more points in the x/5 part of the Dal application reserved for "other".

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted at U of T with uGPA 2.98.

It's not about having the grad degree though, it's what you did during your time there. Anyone can make it through a MSc if they just keep beating their head against the wall, and probably even get a paper out of it too. But grad school opens the door for awards, grants, presentations, committees, etc. Go in and really kill it and you'll find grad school invaluable. There is no freakin way anyone would have let me in without it.

Congrats, that's a very impressive comeback! You must've really killed that MSc!:)

It's not about having the grad degree though, it's what you did during your time there. Anyone can make it through a MSc if they just keep beating their head against the wall, and probably even get a paper out of it too. But grad school opens the door for awards, grants, presentations, committees, etc. Go in and really kill it and you'll find grad school invaluable. There is no freakin way anyone would have let me in without it.

• 4 weeks later...

What did you include in your CV that made you stand out from other applicants?

I dunno about all this negativity.. i was accepted at u of t with a 3.3 cumulative gpa. My best 2 yr was 3.5-3.6ish and I was interviewed at queens. In my case, i'm 100% certain my grad pushed me through

WaveSense how many papers did you publish while doing your MSc? I sent you a PM. Please check your inbox.

Archived