Premed 101 Forums

Housing in Toronto

Hello Everyone,

Congrats on being accepted at UfT for those of you who plan to attend Toronto Dent in fall

I am just a little concerned about housing in downtown. What are different options and how much is the approximate expense on housing per month if one rents a place ( 1 bedroom or bachelor) ?

Any recommendations from the previous years will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

Congrats on being accepted at UfT for those of you who plan to attend Toronto Dent in fall

I am just a little concerned about housing in downtown. What are different options and how much is the approximate expense on housing per month if one rents a place ( 1 bedroom or bachelor) ?

Any recommendations from the previous years will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There are lots of housing options in the downtown area. Particularly popular is the Bay St corridor and surrounding area. Lots of new condos have been built in the area recently, and since the resale market is somewhat soft, many investors are renting out now. As a professional student, you sometimes have an edge over undergrad students (e.g. some landlords will state that they are looking for mature students or young professionals). If you don't want to live in the barren concrete jungle, many students like the Annex area with older homes here that have been converted to rental suites, and has a "real neighborhood" feel.

For newer condos (all approximate, +/- utilities):

Studio: $1000-1200

1-bdr: $1200-1500

1bdr + den: $1400-1700

Proper 2bdr: $1700+

Older apartments are usually bigger and cheaper; I've seen studios as low as $800, but I think this is rather rare. There is a premium for living right on, say, Bay St or in Yorkville, and proximity to the subway. East of Yonge is usually less expensive.

If you need parking, it will usually cost $100-150 extra per month. However, sometimes you can get lucky with a unit that comes with parking and is priced about the same as a similar unit with no parking. Conversely, you can always rent out a parking space in downtown TO for $100-150 if your unit comes with one.

Getting a roommate will substantially lower your costs.

Most of the people in my class live (north/south) between Bay and Dundas, and (east/west), between Church and Spadina.

The closer you are to Yonge St, or Bay street, the more expensive it will be. If you branch out east or west (towards Church, or Spadina), it will get a little cheaper.

I live at Yonge & College in a 1-bedroom condo, and I rent for $1350/month. I am a 10 minute walk from school.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you guys

Last question- At approximately what time do you start looking for these...I am willing to pay around a 1200/month but currently, I am finding it hard to find places since they are only available for June/july..I am assuming one should then start looking in June for Aug/September?

Thanks for the help...

hi there,

i'm graduating from undergrad here at UofT and i've lived in this building called Tartu which is really cheap $510/month for a small room, or for the much bigger corner room I had %550/month? or so? but i've heard someone complain of mice in her suite...mine was clean. i'm not sure if prices are going up next fall but here's the link:

http://www.tartucollege.ca/

they accept deposits starting mid-april so i'm not sure they have anymore spots - it fills up fast! but you can give them a quick call...it's actually at bloor-spadina which is not as close as you might like to the dental school, probably a 20minute brisk walk. the subway is right next door so i know a girl in UT dents who subways it like 3 stations to class

oh and it's suite-style, shared kitchen and washrooms, individual mini-fridges with locked food cabinets, not co-ed

Thank you guys

Last question- At approximately what time do you start looking for these...I am willing to pay around a 1200/month but currently, I am finding it hard to find places since they are only available for June/july..I am assuming one should then start looking in June for Aug/September?

Thanks for the help...

I spoke to someone at the Housing office, then said that not many listings for September will be up right now, most start going up around mid July and starting August.

Archived