Premed 101 Forums

Need advice for my undergrad...please!!!

I will be starting my undergrad in Medical Science at Western this fall. My goal is to get into medical school. I'm looking for any advice that some of you may have that can/will help me get there(Courses, GPA scores, EC, e.t.c) or anything that you would change if you could start over from year 1 again. Thanks:) i appreciate it.

I will be starting my undergrad in Medical Science at Western this fall. My goal is to get into medical school. I'm looking for any advice that some of you may have that can/will help me get there(Courses, GPA scores, EC, e.t.c) or anything that you would change if you could start over from year 1 again. Thanks:) i appreciate it.

First I would read though this forum throughly, you will find TONS of useful stuff! It really helped me figure things out, and was a big help. Some quick thoughts from the Ontario perspective.

1) Really, really, really, understand the OMSAS guidelines for the various schools (they are online). Every single year a bunch of people get nailed because they didn't understand something - and by nailed, I mean entire years/degrees are blown. Know about GPA is computed, the consequences of dropping courses, doing things in the summer, restrictions on what courses are to be taken and when, prereqs..... Seriously you need to know it quite well so you don't mess up.

2) Understand how important GPA is and know that even your first year will have serious, lasting consequences. Aim for 85+ in every course, and know that even B+ is pretty damaging. Not that there aren't ways of recovering of course, but try to avoid the problem all together.

3) Try to get some long term volunteer work at in a health care setting.

If you begin to read what he said (and it is a must), it will take you hours, and follow the other advice. Not everybody on this site will make it into med, even if we successfully jump thru all the hurdles, it is really one big lottery. Many super candidates who would make marvelous physicians don't get accepted. So, it is important to think about and have a Plan B. Undergrad allows us to mature while we get an education that will lead to becoming productive and happy citizens. This includes preparing us for a career. My Plan B is to remain in the healthcare field in physical rehabilitation and my courses lead in that direction, while giving me a good preparation for medicine. I am involved in ECs, I volunteer as EMS first responder to 911 calls, have been doing recreational therapy a few hours a week for long term patients at a hospital, I do clinical work with patients for my internship courses, I study all the time, have absolutely no social life and love it.

You must be preapred to pace yourself, budget your time, know how to study and succeed in assignments and exams, and learn to be consistent...and oh, eventually get to know some prof in upper courses for LOR.

First I would read though this forum throughly, you will find TONS of useful stuff! It really helped me figure things out, and was a big help. Some quick thoughts from the Ontario perspective.

1) Really, really, really, understand the OMSAS guidelines for the various schools (they are online). Every single year a bunch of people get nailed because they didn't understand something - and by nailed, I mean entire years/degrees are blown. Know about GPA is computed, the consequences of dropping courses, doing things in the summer, restrictions on what courses are to be taken and when, prereqs..... Seriously you need to know it quite well so you don't mess up.

2) Understand how important GPA is and know that even your first year will have serious, lasting consequences. Aim for 85+ in every course, and know that even B+ is pretty damaging. Not that there aren't ways of recovering of course, but try to avoid the problem all together.

3) Try to get some long term volunteer work at in a health care setting.

Would this be a good start?

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Also, could you possibly explain or elaborate more on the bolded part of your post? Thanks :)

Would this be a good start?

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Also, could you possibly explain or elaborate more on the bolded part of your post? Thanks :)

Thats the right manual! I will be happy to go over anything after you read it once. I could summarize but then you would miss out on some of the small stuff, and that is exactly the type of thing that causes problems :)

i'm at queens and thinking of doing a medial degree. its an honors degree, but since its not a major, do medical schools frown upon it?

hi there! I am a bit confused. What degree are you currently taking at Queens?

Some schools specifically require you to have a 4 year honours or equivalent degree (western comes to mind). Some don't care, but whether you have a major or not isn't really the concern. People get into med school all the time from say Waterloo's non major Honours Science program. No major there, but it is an honours degree :)

Archived