Premed 101 Forums

what is full courseload

bored

I know that universities are looking for this for med students.. is it 5 courses in the fall and 5 courses in the winter?

pretty much yeah. 5 full year credits, or 30 credit hours, depending on what system your school uses.

I know that universities are looking for this for med students.. is it 5 courses in the fall and 5 courses in the winter?

For all schools I know of that would be considered full time, assuming those courses are full standard courses.

Some will take fewer courses, but then you are removing options. There are also some (risky) advantages to doing more than 5 per term.

it differs depending on the school...for example, at UofA it is 10 courses per academic year (Sept-april...usually 5courses per semester)...but @ McGill, full-course load is between 12-15 credits per semester (so 4 course could be considered full)

call whatever school you are curious about and ask...better safe than sorry

Deeman indicated that you're a York student. If so, full=30 credits per year. Most courses are worth 6 (full year) or 3 credits (half year) but some courses are worth 9 (humanities courses) or 4 (lab courses), so if you take one of those you can take fewer than 10 half courses/5 full courses per year. Just make sure the number adds up to at least 30 (at least that's my understanding, but you might want to check with the specific schools you're looking at if you take any 4 or 9 credit courses and aren't sure what to do).

yup 30 was what i was thinking.. But they kept telling me 27 is considered "full courseload" as well.. i didn't know why they do that.. but w,e im not gonna listen to them.

Yeah, that's the difference between the UG registrar's office and MD admissions' office. You only need 24 CHs/yr to qualify for full time student loans here at UNB, but I still need 30 CH/yr to be eligible for med.

just take 30 and you'll be safe.

yup 30 was what i was thinking.. But they kept telling me 27 is considered "full courseload" as well.. i didn't know why they do that.. but w,e im not gonna listen to them.

at some schools as little as 3 courses per term or higher is considered full time. Others it is 4 or higher etc. As w8kg6 is saying ignoring them - it is things like that (differences in terminology) that really mess people up in this "game".

alright cool.. im glad i asked before making a final decision

im looking for a gen ed course now lol a 3 credit one.. its hard to find stuff that interests you and matches the time table. I guess i should have selected my gen ed course and then matched all the other science/math courses based on that time lol.. but too late for that now i guess....

I took way more than 5 a term, and it probably helped me at Western as they take your best 5 courses. Since I got in there, maybe it helped push me over the edge :)

hey rm I was wondering, OMSAS sends you your GPA in a letter according to their calculation method (i.e. including everything), will western send you another letter saying what your GPA is according to their scale, how do you know that they removed your extra courses??

Archived