Premed 101 Forums

dropped course

Does a dropped course really hurt that bad? I dropped a course second year, but got a 4.0 (and retook the course in summer school)... I also got a 4.0 third year... will the fact that I have a 4.0 the previous two years, and that I am obviously capable of academic success allow the drop to be for the most part overlooked? (although I know the year is discounted at Western)

thanks

Does a dropped course really hurt that bad? I dropped a course second year, but got a 4.0 (and retook the course in summer school)... I also got a 4.0 third year... will the fact that I have a 4.0 the previous two years, and that I am obviously capable of academic success allow the drop to be for the most part overlooked? (although I know the year is discounted at Western)

thanks

Dropped courses don't hurt as much as a bad GPA score in the same course but they do have an effect. Dropping one will cause you lose out on Toronto's valuable drop a course policy, and as you mention that year is not considered by Western. Dropping only one course won't have an effect at Ottawa, Queens, NOSM (assume you still graduate on time with your 4 year degree), and Mac.

It is not the end of the world, mostly it is the Toronto thing you have to be careful about. In your case specifically your strong GPA will definitely elminate any real negative effects here. Hard to beat a 4.0 GPA :)

Also as JeraJaclyn mentions if you drop the course for a good reason you can often get that taken into consideration as well via an appeal.

Yea the U of T thing kind of hurts, because my first year wasnt great (3.72 or something)... which makes my cGPA 3.9 for three years... I guess that's about average, competing with wGPA's at U of T... but are the wGPA's considered throughout the ENTIRE process, or just early? I find it hard to believe that the courses are 100% disregarded throughout the entire thing, and NEVER looked at whatsoever... and if so, do they know if someone had not taken the weighting?

Yea the U of T thing kind of hurts, because my first year wasnt great (3.72 or something)... which makes my cGPA 3.9 for three years... I guess that's about average, competing with wGPA's at U of T... but are the wGPA's considered throughout the ENTIRE process, or just early? I find it hard to believe that the courses are 100% disregarded throughout the entire thing, and NEVER looked at whatsoever... and if so, do they know if someone had not taken the weighting?

Its my understanding that pre and post interview Toronto uses the same wGPA system. So for toronto you still have a reasonable (ie competitive) GPA for all aspects of the application process. Which is great (nice turn around by the way!).

Archived