Premed 101 Forums

Confused. Need some help and advice

riceiq

First please allow me to explain my current situation.

I am an Ontario resident. I just finished 4 years of my undergrad study in a relatively challenging life science program at UT and I am graduating this summer. I applied to UBC, Manitoba, UT, Queens, and Western last September, and the results are:

Refused and no interview at: UBC (due to a low non-academic score) and UT (marks are not very high and also weak references, I assume)

Interviewed and wait listed at:Queens, Western, and Manitoba (it is being sluggish and hasn't announced the wait list, so I just assume I got wait listed)

Now more about my marks:

GPA for my undergrad (year 1 to 4 in OMSAS scale): 3.92, 3.70, 3.59, and 3.54

MCAT: 15, 15, 10 (verbal), and Q

Recently I was offered a conditional offer at Western, but I couldn't go because I don't have 2 years of GPA that's above 3.75, which is the cut-off for this year. I was kinda devastated by this because I'm so freaking close to getting in. I regret that I didn't work hard. There was another thing that happened last week. The PI for whom I've being working since 2007 summer told me that he no longer took master student, and my original backup plan is doing a master there. He offered the option of a PhD in 4.5 years, which is very fast already, but I think it's still way too long for someone aiming only for an MD.

Now I'm not sure which path to take, and I seriously need some advice (Thanks!!)

Option 1:

Just do a 2-year master with another PI. I thought I could spare some time doing some volunteering, TAing and EC. I think if I want to get into schools like UBC which emphasizes non-academic achievements, I'll need more stuffs on my sketch (now I really have very very few volunteer experiences). Therefore, with another full year at my disposal I can get more non-academic achievements. However, I can't improve my undergrad GPA this way, and I know most schools pay lots of attention to undergrad GPA, even though the applicant is a master student.

Option 2:

Do a 5th year undergrad. I can work hard and get a very good GPA, at least 3.75 which suffices Western. The thing is, I won't have much thing to say in this year's application compared to last year's. During my last year, the only achievement for me is 2nd author in a publication on a journal with an impact factor of 10. If I apply this September, in contrast to masters (in which I get an extra year), I won't have much volunteering done in the two upcoming months. I'll still be sucking at non-academic scores and likely be rejected by schools like UBC. The advantage is that when Western gives me the conditional offer again, I can go there with a 3.75 from my 5th year (hopefully). However, my choices will still be SEVERELY limited, as I can't think of this additional 5th year will do good to other medical schools besides uwo. I know I can still do some volunteering works which I'm very happy to do during this 5th year, but it won't be shown on this year's application.

I'm sorry for this long and boring post, but I need some advice and suggestions:confused:. The thing that puzzles me is that I'm already so close to getting in somewhere that I don't know what to do now. Also, what do you guys think of my chances of getting into US schools in general with my current GPA, MCAT, and such sucking EC? I'll thank everyone in advance for reading this post and any advice is much appreciated. Also good luck to those all who are still on the wait list.

Sorry to hear about the conditional offer issues at Western - i can only imagine how that must feel!

You have already outlined your primary problem for most Canadian schools - your rather low UG GPA. You situation is somewhat difficult - your GPA blocks you from reaching the interview stage at most schools, and due to the pattern of GPA scores you recieved (highest early on) I agree that doing another year of undergrad will only seem to make you better suited for one or two schools - Western, and if you do very well perhaps Queens(?).

Doing a masters will improve your application as well, but you are right - most schools still have somewhat rigid UG GPA cut offs (or at least strong priority attached to UG GPA) that a masters does not override. You would find yourself in another pool at Queens if you did a masters where they would review your file and quite possibly grant an interview. One thing I should ask - you haven't mentioned whether you consider a Masters in anyway to be a "Plan B". Is the graduate work you are considering entirely to buy you enough time to develop EC?

I would have to think that a 40Q MCAT score would make you competitive in the states. Pulling off 2 15s is quite a thing! If you are willing to go that route I would suspect (particularly if you did do a masters) you would be able to attend school there.

The only other option you haven't mentioned is doing a second undergrad, which I only mention because that would less time than the phD you described.

First please allow me to explain my current situation.

I am an Ontario resident. I just finished 4 years of my undergrad study in a relatively challenging life science program at UT and I am graduating this summer. I applied to UBC, Manitoba, UT, Queens, and Western last September, and the results are:

Refused and no interview at: UBC (due to a low non-academic score) and UT (marks are not very high and also weak references, I assume)

Interviewed and wait listed at:Queens, Western, and Manitoba (it is being sluggish and hasn't announced the wait list, so I just assume I got wait listed)

Now more about my marks:

GPA for my undergrad (year 1 to 4 in OMSAS scale): 3.92, 3.70, 3.59, and 3.54

MCAT: 15, 15, 10 (verbal), and Q

Recently I was offered a conditional offer at Western, but I couldn't go because I don't have 2 years of GPA that's above 3.75, which is the cut-off for this year. I was kinda devastated by this because I'm so freaking close to getting in. I regret that I didn't work hard. There was another thing that happened last week. The PI for whom I've being working since 2007 summer told me that he no longer took master student, and my original backup plan is doing a master there. He offered the option of a PhD in 4.5 years, which is very fast already, but I think it's still way too long for someone aiming only for an MD.

Now I'm not sure which path to take, and I seriously need some advice (Thanks!!)

Option 1:

Just do a 2-year master with another PI. I thought I could spare some time doing some volunteering, TAing and EC. I think if I want to get into schools like UBC which emphasizes non-academic achievements, I'll need more stuffs on my sketch (now I really have very very few volunteer experiences). Therefore, with another full year at my disposal I can get more non-academic achievements. However, I can't improve my undergrad GPA this way, and I know most schools pay lots of attention to undergrad GPA, even though the applicant is a master student.

Option 2:

Do a 5th year undergrad. I can work hard and get a very good GPA, at least 3.75 which suffices Western. The thing is, I won't have much thing to say in this year's application compared to last year's. During my last year, the only achievement for me is 2nd author in a publication on a journal with an impact factor of 10. If I apply this September, in contrast to masters (in which I get an extra year), I won't have much volunteering done in the two upcoming months. I'll still be sucking at non-academic scores and likely be rejected by schools like UBC. The advantage is that when Western gives me the conditional offer again, I can go there with a 3.75 from my 5th year (hopefully). However, my choices will still be SEVERELY limited, as I can't think of this additional 5th year will do good to other medical schools besides uwo. I know I can still do some volunteering works which I'm very happy to do during this 5th year, but it won't be shown on this year's application.

I'm sorry for this long and boring post, but I need some advice and suggestions:confused:. The thing that puzzles me is that I'm already so close to getting in somewhere that I don't know what to do now. Also, what do you guys think of my chances of getting into US schools in general with my current GPA, MCAT, and such sucking EC? I'll thank everyone in advance for reading this post and any advice is much appreciated. Also good luck to those all who are still on the wait list.

Of the two options you stated, I'd pick taking the 5th year. This is because, a 5th year does not disadvantage you too much for having 5 years of UG, and it gives you a chance to redeem your GPA, which is much more effective than to mask it with a masters degree. You got a conditional acceptance at Western, so you must be doing something right. Get a 3.75+, and do it again.

I personally would not do the PhD if MD is your goal. It takes too long to do, and it doesnt give you many bonus points in your application to make it worth it. If you're considering waiting another 4 years, do a second undergrad. It erases your first one, and lets you get a higher cGPA.

Thanks for your replies, rmorelan, DocAndy and xi88

you haven't mentioned whether you consider a Masters in anyway to be a "Plan B". Is the graduate work you are considering entirely to buy you enough time to develop EC?

Yes I originally considered master to be my backup plan, because having been worked with my PI for 2 years, I thought I could pump out more publications (probably 1 or 2 because I have a head start) and at the same time build up some EC. Ultimately

Although my MCAT is overall high but the verbal and writing scores are just mediocre. I just hope I can get into some descent US schools if I apply within the next 2 weeks or so.

I agree with xi88 completely.

My friend and I both did a 5th year of undergrad, and he's going to med as well.

For what it's worth, I punched your stats into the School Selection Spreadsheet over on the Student Doctor forums, and you scored well for many American schools (I guessed your sGPA). American schools would seem like a good possibility to explore.

I don't know that much about American schools, but I think Wayne State, NYMC, USC, and Maryland are Canadian-friendly.

Anyways, I'm just one more in favour of a 5th year of undergrad, for the reasons xi88 mentioned. Start looking for ECs now--you might be able to find some interesting opportunities this summer.

Goodluck!

I agree with xi88 completely.

My friend and I both did a 5th year of undergrad, and he's going to med as well.

For what it's worth, I punched your stats into the School Selection Spreadsheet over on the Student Doctor forums, and you scored well for many American schools (I guessed your sGPA). American schools would seem like a good possibility to explore.

I don't know that much about American schools, but I think Wayne State, NYMC, USC, and Maryland are Canadian-friendly.

Anyways, I'm just one more in favour of a 5th year of undergrad, for the reasons xi88 mentioned. Start looking for ECs now--you might be able to find some interesting opportunities this summer.

Goodluck!

Hey, did you graduate first then did an extra year as a part-time student? Or did you not graduate and stayed at school as a full-time student?

Archived