Premed 101 Forums

Its easier to get into Medical school then get kicked out of it

In High school, we had two Western Medical students come to tell us about what it means to be a med student, the education system, admissions, and other stuff.

One of the guys said that it is easier to get into med school tan to get kicked out of it. While the work is very hard, most people if not all, end up with the MD degree in the end. Cases of someone getting kicked out because of academic failure has rarely ever happend.

What are your thoughts on this?

In High school, we had two Western Medical students come to tell us about what it means to be a med student, the education system, admissions, and other stuff.

One of the guys said that it is easier to get into med school tan to get kicked out of it. While the work is very hard, most people if not all, end up with the MD degree in the end. Cases of someone getting kicked out because of academic failure has rarely ever happend.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is that in any way surprising? They select only high achieving students to become doctors, and then invest a huge amount of time and energy to train them. No one wants anyone who gets into med school to actually fail :)

Its so hard to get in because they pick people who won't fail out. If a med school fails out, the government, school, and student all lose out.

true dis, you gotta remember your medical education is massively subsidized (at least 50% maybs more), they really can't afford to have failures + it looks bad on the schools.

Check out the pre-clinical failure rates for places where you aren't subsidized (i.e. certain caribs) to get a sense of how important that is. Not to carib-bash, there are alot of other complex factors at play.

true dis, you gotta remember your medical education is massively subsidized (at least 50% maybs more), they really can't afford to have failures + it looks bad on the schools.

Check out the pre-clinical failure rates for places where you aren't subsidized (i.e. certain caribs) to get a sense of how important that is. Not to carib-bash, there are alot of other complex factors at play.

Some of the analysis I read in economics class pegged basic doctor training at about 1 million. That's a lot of money to throw at something and have it not work :)

i think it's kinda like grad school - my advisor says, "you don't fail grad school, grad school fails you", which is why, when a person is close to failing, they assume that there was a breakdown in the system, and try to help that person.

if only undergrad was that way...

Almost every medical student I've spoken to says the hardest part is getting in--medical school teaches level 2 sciences (year two of university) according to many med school profs. If you are determined enough to have made it through the admissions committee, you're all set (not saying you won't have to work your butt off, but it's a different level of scary).

Archived