Premed 101 Forums

What's wrong with me!?

Sorry for posting one of those 'I need help' threads, but I've always had my questions best answered through fellow premed101 strangers.

Basically, I finished my freshmen year with terrible grades, especially in pre-req courses (which were the strongest in h.s). I guess part of the reason is simply not studying, and not keeping up with the readings. But even when I do somewhat study, like reading over the lecture notes (understanding them), it's hard to pull off A's.

I knew that if I keep this up, my gpa (for the school year) would be disastrous. As a result, I decided to take a challenging science pre-req course during the spring semester, so that I could at least not make my situation any worse. However, when I saw my mark posted up today, it was yet again, a disaster. Am I having a streak of bad luck since I entered my undergrad? I mean, I was only taking 1 course during the spring semester, and I've been doing extremely well during the course. And I actually did study about two days before the final, and did some practice questions. It's just like a lot of my classes where I'd be doing well during the course of the semester, but every time after I write my final exam, every course gpa just plummet. Now, I'm just terrified to write the finals because it's like I'm just anticipating for an inevitable event to occur...:( How do you guys ace your finals, unlike myself who does the opposite?

I honestly feel like I wasted my entire year doing nothing but donating money to the school. Does it even make sense how I'm majoring in something that I did worst in my first year? Is this another call for a disaster? I mean, I really do enjoy learning about bio, but seriously, I'm not too fond about evolution; I just like cell bio, anatomy, etc.

I'm not quite sure what to do anymore. Because I've been taking summer school courses, I had to give up full jobs, and just been volunteering where we get treated like a doormat.:mad: I mean, there's nothing else productive that I could find to do NOW, is there?

Should I be thinking about doing a 5th year with these kind of luck I'm having? What's wrong with me!?!? Am I just a terrible student?:confused:

Where to start? Do not be terrified to write the finals or anticipate the worst! Do the best you are able. It would seem that you need to objectively analyze what the real issues are that need to be addressed. For example, it could be lack of focvus, poor study habits, understanding the material but lack of retention. I think you need academic counselling to get to the bottom of what is impeding your progress. Are you studying courses that you enjoy and want to study.

For sure, I have learned more from my failures than my successes. Very few of us have a straight road to success with consistent good grades. For me, my cegep marks were low and I couldn't figure out why, lower than high school. I know now that I was not focused, I had bad study habits and I did not study smart or keep up with my work. Things fell into place when I entered UG and b/c of thre system in Quebec, it is like a new start for me, a new beginning. All I can say is you should not be discouraged. Think positively and try to take control of the problem by seeking out those who may be able to help you, close friends who know your strengths and weaknesses and academic counselling. Just take one step at a time and build yourself up slowly. THoseof us who have academic challenges learn the code of our inner self and ultimately become stronger. Every problem is temporary, there is always a solution and better days ahead, no matter how you feel.:o

I think it's common for many first-year university students to be 'shocked' at the transition from high-school to university. Just because you did good in your high school courses doesn't equate or translate in to doing good in university. University is a completely different ball park.

Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't be doing well because I'm quite sure you're a strong, hard-working student. Like future_doc said, perhaps its your study habits or the way you approach an exam. Are your exams now in multiple choice whereas in high school it may have been short and long answer?

I too had the same problems in first-year university. It just takes some time to get adjusted to the different style of learning, tackling exams, and enforcing good study habits.

I don't think it's necessary to do a 5th year, unless you really think that GPA will hinder your chances at med school. Most schools in Canada use GPA as a cut-off, so as long as you pull yourself up for the next 2-3 years, then your GPA should be fine. Otherwise, you could always retake those first-year courses later down the road, or even during the summer, and by that time, they should be a breeze for you.

Maybe just relax this summer. Re-group, re-focus for the next year. Plan your courses out carefully. Relaxing is also important. :)

Best of luck to you next year.

it sounds like you're just a terrible student.

i don't blame luck on any of my grades. every bad grade i earn is 100% my own fault. think about your studying techniques and improve upon them in the future. it sounds like you just need to study more. when you say things like "i even studied 2 days before," it makes me think you're way underestimating how much work it takes to get a 90. and it's great that you did "some" practice questions. try doing "every god damn past exam you can get your hands on."

dont study 2 days before a final lol... i usually start studying like 2 weeks min/a month max before exam time rolls around...

yeah, unfortunately really studying for exams just takes piles of time. A month of solid work for finals is not that uncommon. I would usually do a full week per course I guess. Most people initially underestimate the amount of work involved for sure.

your problem is very simple to solve, study more!!!! 2 days for an exam and u sound like U think its more than enough... study through out the term and put at least 2 weeks into it then come back for more advice if it still doesnt work (I highly doubt that it wont)

You've gotta remember that you're subjecting yourself to what is arguably the most competitive process in academia. Getting into a Canadian med school is gonna take more than studying 2 days for a test. Get real, man, if you want to get in, you're gonna have to work your balls off (whether you're a boy or a girl).

You've gotta go balls deep on school if you want to get in, but that definitely doesn't mean you should abandon a social life or EC pursuits. Seriously though, studying 2 days before a test will never cut the mustard. Expect more of yourself.

You cannot expect to do well with only 2 days of studying. In the end, you are likely receiving the grades that you deserve. Next time, study for 2 weeks before an exam and if you still are not meeting your expectations, you can start analyzing your approach a little more.

Doing well in university is 10% intelligence, 90% sweat.

i wouldnt even study 2 days before a midterm let alone a final which was likely cumulative

yeah, it's the transition from high school to university problem - trips so many people up. Can't blame people really, they are just so different.

No one should study so much their lives become a living hell, but you sure do have to study a lot.

You cannot expect to do well with only 2 days of studying. In the end, you are likely receiving the grades that you deserve. Next time, study for 2 weeks before an exam and if you still are not meeting your expectations, you can start analyzing your approach a little more.

Doing well in university is 10% intelligence, 90% sweat.

Well not entirely true. If you have been keeping up with all the work and readings 2 days typically should be enough. If you slack off during the term like me, then you might want to study well in advance.

It might also be an issue of how you are studying. If you aren't studying properly you will not do well regardless of the amount of time you put in. For example, people may flame me for this but, you really can't study while listening to music in my experience. Yes, some people can get by doing that, but music, espcially music with lyrics, distracts you from what you are trying to read. You also can't study in noisy places. You have to go to the library, sit at a cubicle and just study. Also when studying try to make notes as well. Reading the notes, in my opinion, is passive learning. You are just reading. If you make notes, it requires an additional level of processing and thus the information is retained better.

I dunno, try different things, you will eventually find what works for you. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. But seriously, is it really not that uncommon to study for a final a month before? Man, I'm just shocked...

I guess you're right--I didn't study enough, but more like I "couldn't." How did you guys manage your time so well to kill your midterms/finals; yet, have a social life?

Most of the midterms/finals at our school is multiple choice, and I don't think I could ever master that. I mean, is there a way to ace this type of test, other than by process of elimination? But nevertheless, I guess I should really try studying using different methods. Quick question though...do you guys make notes while you do your readings, or while you're studying for your finals? Because wouldn't it be really time consuming during the latter option?

Thanks a lot.

How did you guys manage your time so well to kill your midterms/finals; yet, have a social life?

Most of the midterms/finals at our school is multiple choice, and I don't think I could ever master that. I mean, is there a way to ace this type of test, other than by process of elimination? But nevertheless, I guess I should really try studying using different methods. Quick question though...do you guys make notes while you do your readings, or while you're studying for your finals? Because wouldn't it be really time consuming during the latter option?

Thanks a lot.

I'm a straight A student and I will let you in on my secret. I prioritize and budget my time, using it to maximum advantage. This, in part, means that I have no social life. I am not brilliant and don't necessarily grasp everything immediately. I need to do an incredible amount of studying and to remain focused as I study smart for me. I am on top of all my classes throughout the year and if there is something I don't understand, I will do my own research, ask in class, speak with classmates, etc. My future is in my hands and what I do every day helps advance my goals. I happen to love my studies, so I don't mind. Friends are still there at break time. I never wait to the last minute even though I may constantly review up to exam time. Multipe choice or essay, you need to crack the code of how to handle these situations for yourself. We each are different. I was not always a very good student but I worked at it, as someone else said in another post, it is mainly hard work and not so much intelligence.:)

Its pretty common for the full blown "I want to get into med school crowd". There really isn't that much of a gap in studying between the midterm sets (usually two midterms per class for me) and finals.

The thing is getting a B+ is really normally a good grade in most programs, and a low A is great! Getting those types of grades is something you can do with quite a lot of free time. However the darn GPA requirement of 3.75 or preferably significantly higher forces As to A+s s in everything and puts quite a bit of extra pressure on everyone. Again it isn't like you have zero social life, but there are some sacrifices for most.

As for your notes question everyone is different. I normally go through everything a couple of times before making notes, and proceed from there. Everyone finds the way that is best for him/her :)

Thanks for all the responses everyone. But seriously, is it really not that uncommon to study for a final a month before? Man, I'm just shocked...

I guess you're right--I didn't study enough, but more like I "couldn't." How did you guys manage your time so well to kill your midterms/finals; yet, have a social life?

Thanks a lot.

okay.... if you are planning on giving 2 days just before the final, and want to get good marks, you will have to do the readings during the school year, preview/review lecture contents, and actually learn the stuffs thoroughly right after lecture. (+occasional chapter review) That goes for all of your courses. That won't guarantee 90s. but you may be able to get something in 80s.

And for the upper year level courses you mention (such as cell bio), longer/more work is required because first year courses are mostly review of highschool sci/math, whereas 2nd year and + courses are newer stuff/some recent development in the fields.

Low marks in first year is not unique experience that will kill your hopes of future anything, but do take care of your marks and put in more effort in studying from next year (and the summer final).

You've gotta remember that you're subjecting yourself to what is arguably the most competitive process in academia. Getting into a Canadian med school is gonna take more than studying 2 days for a test. Get real, man, if you want to get in, you're gonna have to work your balls off (whether you're a boy or a girl).

You've gotta go balls deep on school if you want to get in, but that definitely doesn't mean you should abandon a social life or EC pursuits. Seriously though, studying 2 days before a test will never cut the mustard. Expect more of yourself.

w8kg6, this is the worst advice ever. How can you honestly expect someone to go balls deep into school if they've already worked their balls off?

Quick question though...do you guys make notes while you do your readings, or while you're studying for your finals? Because wouldn't it be really time consuming during the latter option?

Thanks a lot.

Thus the reason for starting 2-3 weeks early...

I used to be a runner with the OMGINEEDTOBEADOCTOR crowd in my 1st year of undergrad. I pretty soon dropped out of that group of friends and found new ones - the more lax crowd.

I did a lot better once I relaxed - and realized that it's not the end of the world if I don't get into medicine right away - or at all. :) Don't burn yourself worrying about things you cannot control (ie: after exam blues).

Take time off - I took every Saturday off about from 3 to midnight to hang out with my boyfriend and have a social life. :) It was nice and regular and he didn't seem to mind. I had lunch with him all the other days.

w8kg6, this is the worst advice ever. How can you honestly expect someone to go balls deep into school if they've already worked their balls off?

in this situation, quester did NOT work his balls off.

he just thinks he did.

Its true that the 2 days studying might be whats doing you under.

Coming from different high schools screw you up like that XD. If your high school wasn't that though and you study 2 days before a test and ace it, then it gets you in a bad habit of repeating your study habits.

If other university students study a few days prior they come from killer high schools and is not chanllenged by university first year. Also, many students from hard high schools know to get the marks they want, they have to study till their hand cramps.

Many students are confused why their marks are dropping and why other students might not. The bottom line comes down to hard work because in ;ater years, the playing field evens out and to get the grades, you have to pull those 5 hours of study each day to get the grades you want.

Thanks a lot.

the way i balanced my social life is rarely ever going out during weekdays, and going out normally on weekends. i only made exceptions to not go out on weekends when i have a midterm or final coming up the following week, and if i had multiple midterms i won't go out for maybe 2 weekends before.

i honestly prefer MC tests over SA or LA because recognition is easier than recall. i study by summarizing lecture notes in my own words. if you do this, what you'll notice is that it forces you to understand what you're writing. the things i dont understand i make a list of and clear it up with the prof during office hours. pretty simple, but takes discipline. good luck

Man...you guys are like all pro here. I really would be surprised if you guys don't get accepted ;)

As avenir001 mentioned, that's what exactly happened to me. I first started off making notes, but realized that it was way too long, too detailed, and too much time consuming; plus, I bought a study guide for some subjects so everything was already summarized. By the time final exam week rolled around, I just read the text and highlighted. Ineffective method, I guess.

Ha..I love some of the blunt comments here. But yeah, tooty is right. I didn't (or somehow couldn't?) work my balls off this year. I've been talking with my mates around the end of the year how we've been working less than in h.s, while there 'seemed' to be more free time to study. And really, it's not like I've had social activities everyday. During the weekdays, I've had classes from 8:30 until 4:30, and 5:30 when I had labs. And I went home biweekly during the weekends. But seriously, it always seemed like there's not enough time during the weekdays to study 5 hour. I mean, all I remember doing is working on assignments/labs, working out at the gym (1.5 hr), and yeah... I guess I should really take future_doc's tips, and 'prioritize and budget my time to my max advantage...':)

Some of the comments you guys have made were really inspiring. While writing this post, I realized that I'm in this hole because I wasn't sure if I REALLY wanted this bad enough. But reading these posts have really been a 'kick in the butt' to back to reality. :cool:

Really, thanks for your posts. ;)

Archived