Premed 101 Forums

grad students please help!

i want to apply to grad school this coming fall, and i was wondering if some kind grad students could clarify something for me:

i've browsed requirements for a lot of programs, and most of them say they will see your marks for "your last 2 years".

for the OGS and NSERC, they look at your last 10 credits.

so i don't know if it's just me, but in my case it makes a huge difference to my GPA if they are looking at my last 10 credits or if they are looking at my last 2 YEARS.

lets say my situation is like so:

year 2: 5 courses

summer after year 2: 2 full courses

year 3: 5 courses

summer after year 3: 2 full courses

how will they look at my GPA for the cutoffs?! for NSERC and OGS it's straightforward, they just count back 10 credits and that's that, but what about the cutoffs for the programs? will they just look at 5 courses form year 3 and 5 courses from year 2 and average that?

thank you :)

I would also fire off an email to ask directly about the program.

I can say that for me, it also said looking at the last 10 full courses in regards to the program admission. Which equals 20 half courses..aka "2 years of taking full course loads". In my case, I took a few summer classes (like you did), and they counted those going backwards. So, essentially, some of the "last 2 year" courses were not counted (I believe they picked whichever were higher in regards to courses that were at that time).

Hope this helps!

Archived