Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Meds! List your Non-Health Related Activities

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I figure I might as well start an active topic. I was just hoping to compile a list of all med school prospects' extracurricular activities that ARE NOT related to medicine (no hospital work). It'd be good to share with others your accomplishments, and would definitely provide others with some insight as to what the competition is up to.

For me:

-Member of the Ottawa Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu Centre since 2006. Have participated in numerous martial art events and showcases including a dinner spectacle and 30 minute highlight for our club down Chinatown.

-Active member of the Motorsport Club of Ottawa. I regularly participate in sanctioned Autocross events. I am also participating in the Motorsport Club of Ottawa Open Road Rally Series. As well I volunteer by helping prep the racetrack, and perform marshaling duties

- Active member of the Ottawa Tennis Association. I just joined but i'm looking at competing in a few events this year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, im way too much of a slacker for this ;)

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I figure I might as well start an active topic. I was just hoping to compile a list of all med school prospects' extracurricular activities that ARE NOT related to medicine (no hospital work). It'd be good to share with others your accomplishments, and would definitely provide others with some insight as to what the competition is up to.

For me:

-Member of the Ottawa Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu Centre since 2006. Have participated in numerous martial art events and showcases including a dinner spectacle and 30 minute highlight for our club down Chinatown.

-Active member of the Motorsport Club of Ottawa. I regularly participate in sanctioned Autocross events. I am also participating in the Motorsport Club of Ottawa Open Road Rally Series. As well I volunteer by helping prep the racetrack, and perform marshaling duties

- Active member of the Ottawa Tennis Association. I just joined but i'm looking at competing in a few events this year.

For me:

I could just give you my OMSAS #...lol.

-Retired member of Royal Canadian Army Cadets: retiring as Drill Sgt. Major out of high school with Youth Initiative scholarship, advanced training, master cadet accomplishment and two years of staff.

-Nominated and elected local town councillor.

-Chair of by-law subcommittees

-Member of the waster management committee

-Sunday School Superintendent

-Actively involved in swimming programs, children's playgroups, and town sponsored events (here's the kicker...I can't actually swim! ;) )

-Youth group planning committee

-Spent 7wks teaching science and sexual health in Africa during my first year of uni.

-Secretary of the Tangier Deanery Assoc. (volunteer)

-Attended a number of Atlantic Theological Conferences, and Child Care "self-improvement" conferences.

Do I need to look up any more? I think that's good enough for now.

For me:

Where are you applying? I guess you'll be one of the students on the med sports' teams.

University Rowing Team (2 years)

Rowing Machine engineer for the Rowing club (1 year)

University and Local Triathlon Team (4 years)

University Chess Club (2 years)

Personal Trainer (2 years)

Ottawa Rickshaws (1 year)

Pentecostal Church Volunteer (7 years)

Tutoring (6 years)

Volunteering in a Medical Missionaries in Nicaragua (2 years)

T.A. for University (this year)

I used to volunteer at the Ottawa Civic Hospital but I quit when they got too bossy and started making me do a lot of things that other people got paid to do. I found it not only unfair, but discriminatory. I think too many people discriminate pre-meds as people who will do anything to get into med school and that those already involved in the medical profession (not even real doctors, just the volunteer supervisors) will try to take advantage of that.

I told them they can find somebody else to boss around and I just peaced out. Probably can't use them for a reference, but I don't plan on it. They even advertise the fact that they give out reference letters after 50 hours of community service or something. WARNING: this is just a lure to pre-meds who think getting a reference letter from a hospital administrator will help them get into med school. Tell me ONE PRE-MED who hasn't EVER done volunteer work at a hospital. Do you really think that a generic reference letter from a nobody working as a volunteer supervisor will get you in?

... No.

I think now that I've got some previous experience (1 year in Occupational Physiotherapy and 1 year at the information desk), I can just testify that I have done some work.

As for my references, I've got my Varsity rowing coach who will guarantee an excellent reference due to my involvement with the rowing club and I've also got a prof who I am T.A.ing for this year who I am sure will also be a great add-on to my reference. There's also the Grandmaster Lee in Ottawa who is known across Canada who I have studied under and all of the real doctors that I have worked with while getting actual direct patient contact in Nicaragua.

All the bragging aside, what I'm trying to say is: volunteering is something that you're WILLING to do for free. If you don't enjoy it or if you feel unhappy in that environment (I'm sure MANY other pre-meds can share my experience volunteering in a hospital), quit. Just quit. Don't get the idea that a hospital is the ONLY place that can help you get there.

Just my $0.02.

Tutoring (6 years)

I used to volunteer at the Ottawa Civic Hospital but I quit when they got too bossy and started making me do a lot of things that other people got paid to do. I found it not only unfair, but discriminatory. I think too many people discriminate pre-meds as people who will do anything to get into med school and that those already involved in the medical profession (not even real doctors, just the volunteer supervisors) will try to take advantage of that.

I told them they can find somebody else to boss around and I just peaced out. Probably can't use them for a reference, but I don't plan on it. They even advertise the fact that they give out reference letters after 50 hours of community service or something. WARNING: this is just a lure to pre-meds who think getting a reference letter from a hospital administrator will help them get into med school. Tell me ONE PRE-MED who hasn't EVER done volunteer work at a hospital. Do you really think that a generic reference letter from a nobody working as a volunteer supervisor will get you in?

... No.

I think now that I've got some previous experience (1 year in Occupational Physiotherapy and 1 year at the information desk), I can just testify that I have done some work.

As for my references, I've got my Varsity rowing coach who will guarantee an excellent reference due to my involvement with the rowing club and I've also got a prof who I am T.A.ing for this year who I am sure will also be a great add-on to my reference. There's also the Grandmaster Lee in Ottawa who is known across Canada who I have studied under and all of the real doctors that I have worked with while getting actual direct patient contact in Nicaragua.

All the bragging aside, what I'm trying to say is: volunteering is something that you're WILLING to do for free. If you don't enjoy it or if you feel unhappy in that environment (I'm sure MANY other pre-meds can share my experience volunteering in a hospital), quit. Just quit. Don't get the idea that a hospital is the ONLY place that can help you get there.

Just my $0.02.

You are absolutely right--volunteer work you do not enjoy won't get you anywhere.

I've joined a primary health care board (didn't mention it b/c he didn't want hospital refs) and weaned off visiting in the long-term ward. It's difficult to visit in the long-term ward--I often have a baby with me, or one of them has a cold and I'm not permitted in anyhow! So I focused on volunteer work that fits in my schedule and that I enjoy (apparently, I enjoy committees and task forces).

Next week I begin new work as a Tidy Towns Judge--can't wait!!!

So true, don't volunteer for stuff you don't enjoy, I've volunteered for stuff I love and hated... big difference, do what you like!

You are absolutely right--volunteer work you do not enjoy won't get you anywhere.

I've joined a primary health care board (didn't mention it b/c he didn't want hospital refs) and weaned off visiting in the long-term ward. It's difficult to visit in the long-term ward--I often have a baby with me, or one of them has a cold and I'm not permitted in anyhow! So I focused on volunteer work that fits in my schedule and that I enjoy (apparently, I enjoy committees and task forces).

Next week I begin new work as a Tidy Towns Judge--can't wait!!!

So you only use proper grammar/punctuation when you're not tired?

Lame.

I was tired, I made a small grammatical mistake. What's lame is your ****ty egotistical attitude:rolleyes: I hope you put on a better show at the interview, or at least a better show than the one the Flames put on this post season:D

I was tired, I made a small grammatical mistake. What's lame is your ****ty egotistical attitude:rolleyes: I hope you put on a better show at the interview, or at least a better show than the one the Flames put on this post season:D

Says the kid who makes a thread to show off his "accomplishments".

Hoorah. Gold star for you.

Says the kid who makes a thread to show off his "accomplishments".

Hoorah. Gold star for you.

I made a thread inviting anyone and everyone to post a list of their non-health related accomplishments/activites so that others can have a look at what some hopeful med school students are doing in their spare time. It's a good way to motivate people to get out there and do what you love, and a great way to share experiences. It's unfortunate though, that you completely missed the point of my thread :rolleyes:

It's also unfortunate you lost Cammalleri, but hey that's hockey.

Tutoring (6 years)

... No.

Just my $0.02.

My buddy does rowing with Carleton, he loves it, but its definitely hard on your body waking up at 4am every day.

I made a thread inviting anyone and everyone to post a list of their non-health related accomplishments/activites so that others can have a look at what some hopeful med school students are doing in their spare time. It's a good way to motivate people to get out there and do what you love, and a great way to share experiences. It's unfortunate though, that you completely missed the point of my thread :rolleyes:

It's also unfortunate you lost Cammalleri, but hey that's hockey.

No. It wasn't.

It was a blatant attempt for you to demonstrate some of your extra-circular pom-poms, in hope of winning the magical pre-med hoorah trolling award.

It comes with a free applicant booklet!

Also; 'lost' Cammalleri? We didn't sign him because a) We picked up Jay Bouwmeester (giving us the best defense in the country), ergo taking up his cap space. B) Because he did jack all in the playoffs.

He'll have a blast in Montreal, I'm sure. Especially since he wants to play in Toronto.

No. It wasn't.

It was a blatant attempt for you to demonstrate some of your extra-circular pom-poms, in hope of winning the magical pre-med hoorah trolling award.

It comes with a free applicant booklet!

this.

seriously ryan it's pretty obvious. save it for the application son.

agreed, these threads have come up in the past and r lame.

plus, it's nothing you can't find on the accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads that exist for EVERY school.

True, Adam--there's a wealth of information floating around here. I think most of these types of posts are probably based on pride and over-excitement--but I don't think we all need to be so harsh here...isn't all this over an apostrophe? How the hell did a sports team get mingled in?

Archived