Premed 101 Forums

Why be a doctor?

Hey there everyone. Just getting ready to start my application process for September 2010 and was wondering if anyone was having trouble with the question of why do we want to be doctors.

I know that I want to be a doctor but I am finding it hard to put that answer into words without being too colloqial (sp?) or sounding too much like a cliche. This is the first question on the McMaster application on the OMSAS site.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how they might answer that question?

All the best!

Doctulk ;)

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how they might answer that question?

I definitely have thought about how I will answer question no. 1 in 700 characters or less. So do the other about 5,000 applicants. Each of our answers will be our own and personal, do you really believe we would share our personal views with you so that you may use our thoughts?

Part of the application process is to judge our ability to develop and express our thoughts in a truthful and meaningful way that will impact upon the reader. We will be judged competitively against about 5,000 other applicants on the 5 ABS questions and together with other factors, some of us will be chosen for the MMI. There is nobody to help any of us in the MMI, we are on our own, same here.

Search your soul, find the answer and then organize yourself to express it in 700 characters or less. You may work on it for 2 hours, 2 days or 2 months. If you don't have a meaningful and truthful answer that comes to mind, you will not pass "go" and if your answer is judged low on a competitive basis, you likely will not pass "go". We all face the same hurdles and nobody can help you but yourself. Once you draft out what think may be an acceptable answer, then people whom you trust may be able to give you constructive criticism that will help you in the redraft process. It is not easy for any of us.

No offense, but if you cant answer that question, you should consider whether you are really applying for the right reasons.

I agree with this in part. However, when I applied, I too had a VERY hard time answering this question. Not because there was any question of whether it was what I wanted to do, but I just couldn't get it into words. I ended up saying "I just do" to a lot of people.

My advice: think about the aspects of medicine you REALLY like. Is it the people? The kind of things you can do? The biology? The potential for interesting clinical research? The lifestyle? (If so, then you should perhaps consider if this is you're only motivation). Use that aspect as the central theme for your answer.

Other than that, no one here will be able to tell you anything. This is something that you have to figure out. And it will be a pain, having to do look that closely at your motivations and interests. But it's all part of what the application demands.

Good luck!

I don't know. Many premeds and medical students that I know went into the field for similar reasons. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I think the whole "you have to have some super unique passionate reason for wanting to pursue a career pursued by many" really puts an unnecessary pressure on the applicant.

Just think carefully, and write it out. Because whether or not someone shares the same reasons, they can still be genuine, and to me, that's what should be important.

Edit: To add, I don't think not knowing how to answer the question in 700 words precludes not being able to answer it at all. The OP may just be having a hard time narrowing down the reasons to the most important ones. Or perhaps s/he can't find the words to express an intuitive interest in the profession.

Archived