Premed 101 Forums

U of T changed the MCAT requirements for 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest guggy

Guest guggy

I just wanted to let everyone know that now, instead of requiring 8 in all the subtests, U of T requires a minimum score of 9 in each subtest. (The writing sample requirement is still N.) You can check this new requirement if you go to the OMSAS web site and dowload the application booklet.

Hopefully this change won't affect those of you who are reapplying.

Guest annoyed

Does anyone know why U of T changed the cut offs for this year? They used to be known for not caring too much about the MCAT. Now that they've raised the cutoffs to the same as Western's were for this year there is no school (except for Ottawa and Mac, of course) that will allow for weak MCAT scores. To get from an 8 to a 9 is often a big jump.

Any comments?

at my u of T interview this year, i met a girl who had a 7 on her verbal reasoning section. I was really surprised since I thought that they had a strict cut-off of 8.. i didn't really pry into her particular situation, but all i could think of to explain this was that perhaps if you have stellar marks, and stellar physical, biological, and writing sample mcat scores, they will make an exception??

i agree with annoyed that going from an 8 to a 9 is a fairly large jump. however, the mcat scores of the total applicant pool is probably getting higher and more competitive each year, and in order to keep their interviewee number to about 400-450 each time, raising the minimum requirements is the only thing they can do.

anyway, for all of you out there, the best of luck!!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

A possible explanation is that they may be looking to cut down on the number of eligible applicants who have met the posted MCAT and GPA requirements, well at least the MCAT requirements anyway. I have no quantitative basis for assumption, however, I do know that U of T processed their applications VERY slowly relative to the other schools and as a result, some applicants did not receive their interview notifications until a scant few days before their assigned date. I myself got nothing until a rejection in mid-May. Oh well.

Does anyone know if an significantly larger number of people applied this year? (Relative to previous years, of course) Raising the MCAT bar to me looks like an attempt to pare down the applicant pool. Maybe people are scoring better on the MCAT nowadays- some people who post on this forum have some pretty amazing scores!

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest Kirsteen

Hey Tim,

From the OMSAS site, it looks like the number of applicants remained at just over 1700.

Cheers

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that U of T posts an N as the minimum, but does anyone know if anyone with an N recevied an interview?

As for raising the cut offs to the same as western, Western requires a P for the writing sample.

Guest JSS02

U of T just uses the MCAT as a flag. As long as you reach the minimums on all sections they won't use the scores for anything else. You're also allowed to get one point below the minimums in ONE section without being rejected automatically... for example, a 9/10/11 M would be acceptable, or an 8/12/10 P.

Guest Asystole

Mar:

I was interviewed and eventually accepted to U of T with an N in the writing sample. I also interviewed at Queen's. Personally I think the writing sample is pretty damn useless and it is my impression that most admissions committees feel the same both here and in the states. It sounds good in theory but in practice it is way too subjective and a matter of luck as far as getting a topic you "like". The point of the MCAT is supposed to be an objective ranking, not a subjective measure. But that is just my opinion and I am a little bitter because I did very well on the rest but only got an N which precluded me from getting interviewed at UWO which was my preferred option because I already live in London. Before everyone gets on me, don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful to have gotten in anywhere.

Thanks for your replies. I was turned down by UWO because I had an O. My other scores were 11/10/9 V/P/B.

I've never applied to U of T but if I don't get off Queen's forever waitlist than I probably will for 2003.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JSS02

If you look at the new OMSAS application booklet, it has a chart of requirements for the 5 Ontario med schools. Included in this chart is the number of applicants for the past application cycle (i.e. those who are starting med school this fall).

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Angela,

Yep, the stats that JSS02 mentions above are the ones that I was referring to. As far as I know, the OMSAS site itself does not divulge any additional stats--you have to go to the individual schools' webpages for those (if in fact the school even decides to post them, a la Mac).

Cheers

Kirsteen

"You're also allowed to get one point below the minimums in ONE section without being rejected automatically"

How do you know this?

Guest JSS02

I found out from talking to students there, and confirmed with the admissions people. There were a small number of people admitted with 7 in verbal, others with M in writing, etc. before they raised the requirements for the upcoming application cycle.

Guest MDPlease

Hi everyone!

Regarding the one point below deal, do you think this will apply for this coming application year as well, ie you're allowed an 8 on one section insead of the 9 before you're automatically rejected? I'm studying for the MCAT and I am really terrified of the VR section!!!

Thanks

Guest JSS02

It might or might not change. Who knows. You should try to focus on what you can control (i.e. preparing for the MCAT the best that you can), and worry about stuff like this later on. I know it's a tough section, but it is NOT in your best interest to walk into verbal feeling "terrified." You really have to try and relax the best you can. Good luck with everything.

Guest stargirl

i got an interview this year with an M in the WS. my other scores were 10 BS/ 11PS/ 10VR and I had a pretty decent gpa...alas, i am waitlisted....

i applied last year and didn't get an interview so i emailed to ask for a review of my application - i.e. was there one factor which eliminated me...and i got a reply as follows:

"your non-academic package (autobio sketch, essay and references) scored below average for the applicant pool and this was the reason the file was refused. your gpa is in the competitive range and there are no concerns over the M you obtained on the writing sample of the mcat."

although it sucked at the time, at least i knew it wasn't the mcat that killed my app. and i did get an interview this past year, despite the M.

hope that info is useful.

Guest peachy3

Everyone planning to apply to U of T with one section one mark below the cutoffs should be aware - a friend of mine contacted Bill Gregg at admissions at U of T and was told, "It is unlikely that any mark below a nine will be accepted."

So it looks like along with the raise to 9's the other leniencies may be changing too. If this affects you, you should probably check to be sure!

Guest MDPlease

JSSO2, thanks for your advice. I am not counting on UofT to take a score below 9, although it would be a nice. I got an 8 on VR last year and am now trying desperately to get it up to a 9. Relaxing is still something I have to work on, especially since English is not my first language.

Thanks

Archived