Guest superstorecanadian

The World Cup Started Today :D

Which Team will you be cheering for?

Who do you think will be in the finals?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest treehuggingbiologist

I'm cheering for Brazil, as I have been for as long as I could yell "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

As long as they keep up their offence, they should be okay. Ronaldo's shakey though - especially with his "foot condition." But they have quite possibly the strongest offence of any team there. But if they fail, they'll fail miserably (a la France 98). The tourney is pretty wide open though - there are a lot of very strong teams (Italy, Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina) and a lot of ones who could really suprise the audience. The Ivory Coast will be an interesting team to watch and a huge underdog - they've got the talent to go far in this tournament IF they can make it out of their group.

I hope England gets kicked out. I'm from the UK, but if England win the World Cup, the English fans will never let us hear the end of it. Plus, David Beckham is a ponce. :P

Guest charmingbutterfly

underdogs? nah - Yeah Germany!

My friend said that They are going to take over the world! muahahahaha

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Although they probably don't stand a chance in their pool, it will be interesting to see how far they can go.

I'm hoping if the US does well, maybe MLS will grow into a big-time league here in North America. We need a pro soccer league that we can be proud of!

Guest treehuggingbiologist

For them to have a league, they have to STOP CALLING IT SOCCER. ITS FOOTBALL DAMNIT!!!! <shakes fist>

Not that other sport where you kick it and then PICK IT UP AND RUN ABOUT 3 STEPS BEFORE YOU FALL OVER!!

ITS FOOTBALL!!!!! RAWRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Guest PhansterZ

I'm rooting for Netherlands!

Brazil wins all the time.. give another team a chance!

BTW. the rest of the world calls it football, only the north americans call it soccer.. cuz we already have a football here.. and its a million times more popular than soccer haha

Guest PhansterZ

I dunno but the topic of having a soccer league in North America has been beaten to death in newspaper articles every time the world cup comes up..

its just that soccer is extremely BORING when nothing is on the line..

we already have baseball!

hahaha. someone said soccer is boring. That's golden and warped.

Man, they have POOL on TV.

If soccer is boring, I guess the rest of the world has it all wrong, eh?

The thing about soccer is that ANYONE can play. It's not a bunch of rich North Americans with access to a pair of skates and an artifically frozen patch of water.

Guest silverjelly86
It's not a bunch of rich North Americans with access to a pair of skates and an artifically frozen patch of water.

LOL, that's so true. And not to mention, mostly only one race plays hockey!

Guest Gavanshir

I'm going with Iran and Argentina. I just want Iran to get passed the first round (beat Mexico) and for Argentina to go all the way..!

Guest marbledust

Netherlands all the way. But I also have a soft spot for the Swedes. I am not expecting either team will live up to their potential. Both will probably be booted after round 1.

The thing about soccer is that ANYONE can play. It's not a bunch of rich North Americans with access to a pair of skates and an artifically frozen patch of water.

Haha... I agree.

If the government is going to invest so much money in sports, I'd much rather have them invest more money in soccer/football development and less in hockey. It would be much more exciting for a Canadian team to make the World Cup than to have them win several hockey tournaments that nobody else in the world gives a rats ass about.

Guest lfc15

England all the way! got a strong set of players; if they can all play as a team we have a very good chance of winning it. Brazil-england final is wat im goin for!

Guest wnasar

I'm cheering for brazil ... amazing team with amazing skills. I dont know if they'll win it, cause favourites never seem to win.

I also like holland's chances in this World cup, i think its about time they finally win one.

Guest PhansterZ
hahaha. someone said soccer is boring. That's golden and warped.

I guess you read what you wanted to read. Like I said, the reason of soccer not being a popular sport in Canada or North America is that it is extremely boring to watch when nothing is on the line (how often do you watch the MLS?). I never said anything about the World Cup.

The reason why Pool gets time on TSN is because TSN would have more viewers watching pool than the MLS. Why is that? I'll let you think about it.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

My team, Ivory Coast, lost to Argentina...nuts.

Oh well, I guess there's always Togo!

Best of luck!

Timmy

P.S.: to whoever said 'Pool is on TSN because it gets better ratings than soccer does'- LOL, so true!!! Dog shows apparently do as well! :lol

Guest zohaibab

It's Football you American shmucks, football! Brazil is too much of a favorite, so no support for them from my side. Go Argentina.

Guest noncestvrai

I would like anybody but Brazil to win it. I'll go with France or Argentina. So far it's been quite entertaining and distracting me from my internal med exam coming up in a week or so...:P

noncestvrai

Guest MrNeuroscience

No one can deny that England has the most stacked team in the World Cup... Gerrard is back, Rooney will be up and playing atleast 15 minutes in Thursdays game (at the most by Sweden's match). You have Rio centering defense, Becks crossing to Crouch, Owen, and Rooney (eventually), Robinson keeping everything out of the net, and the list of 11 is basically a whos-who of Premiereship football.

ALTHOUGH, I will admit, it is England's for the losing... We've done it before, and hopefully we won't do it again, but if Paraguay's game is any indication we'll have to step it up a notch to waltz into the finals... but Sven knows what he's doing.

That aside, Mexico vs Iran and Portugal vs Angolia were to of the most exciting games to date... it's going to be a good month!

Archived